Vikings All Time All Star Units

vike daddy

what the heck, it's a boring tuesday...

let's throw out our thoughts and picks of who have been the best Viking players on our rosters at any time, by playing unit.

first off, the Offensive Line. name our best players at the five positions and create an All Time All Star Unit.

25 minutes ago, swede700 said:

1st team: LT Grady Alderman, LG Randall McDaniel, C Mick Tingelhoff, RG Ed White, RT Ron Yary

2nd team: LT Gary Zimmerman, LG Steve Hutchinson, C Jeff Christy, RG David Dixon, RT Korey Stringer 

This would be my list as well...except I might put Birk ahead of Christy as center on the 2nd unit.  Boy, I sure wish we had that first team unit of yours on the field for us this season!!

I waffled between Christy and Birk for the 2nd team C.  I ended up going with Christy just because he was the true leader of a better offensive line than Birk was on.  The Vikings line of Steussie, McDaniel, Christy, Dixon and Stringer is still, by far, the best Vikings' OL I've seen in my lifetime, especially since I was far too young to have seen the 70s offensive line (and I wasn't alive for the 60s one).  

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

This group may be one of the easiest picks for our team, aside from the RB position.

RB may be somewhat easy as far as the top, but it's still a pretty deep group if you go beyond AP...it'll be a tough call between Robert Smith and Chuck Foreman for #2.  

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

RB may be somewhat easy as far as the top, but it's still a pretty deep group if you go beyond AP...it'll be a tough call between Robert Smith and Chuck Foreman for #2.  

Really? I don’t think it would be tough at all. Foreman should run away with the #2 spot. He was an All Pro, something that Smith never accomplished, and he was a 5x pro bowler to Smith’s 2. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Really? I don’t think it would be tough at all. Foreman should run away with the #2 spot. He was an All Pro, something that Smith never accomplished, and he was a 5x pro bowler to Smith’s 2. 

It was a different era of football...and really Robert Smith played in a golden era of RB play and was largely underappreciated in NFL circles. Foreman was a far better receiver (and probably would thrive in today's NFL), but Smith, for me, was a better runner.

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

let's move on to Wide Receivers and Tight Ends. we might only put 3/1 on the field, but we carry 5/2 on the roster, at least.

who ya got?

1st team WR/TEs:  Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Anthony Carter, Steve Jordan

2nd team WR/TEs: Gene Washington, Sammy White, Kyle Rudolph

On the Outside, Looking In:  Ahmad Rashad, Jake Reed, John Gilliam

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

It was a different era of football...and really Robert Smith played in a golden era of RB play and was largely underappreciated in NFL circles. Foreman was a far better receiver (and probably would thrive in today's NFL), but Smith, for me, was a better runner.

Smith reminds me of Cook. All that potential. All those injuries. You have to be available to get on the field to be great. Smith didn't have many healthy years owing to the injuries and early retirement.

Hopefully Cook can close out his career with a few healthy years like Smith was able to do

Archived