Broncos QB Chad Kelly arrested; released

Chargers

51 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Hey yall. Let's keep this discussion away from alcohol and drugs and focused on how this is going to affect Chad Kelly and the Broncos. Thanks.

How it affects Chad Kelly: He has a lot more time now to dress up as a Cowboy and do stupid stuff.

How it affects the Broncos: They can now sign another QB.

I don't think there is a single better spot to be a young QB who impressed in the preseason than Denver if you want to get playing time. The starting QB is on the thinnest of thin ice, the fans are booing him every chance they get and chanting your name. Oh, and the starting QB can be disposed of next year if needs be.

Yet, despite all this, Kelly still finds a way to screw it up. Incredible. No (sane) Bronco fan put any stock into Kelly having a good chance of being a starting QB, but he gave us intrigue at least. Now we're the pure definition of being in no-mans land - a below average (5-7 win) team without a good quality QB heading into a draft (from all accounts) devoid of top QB talent.

Not good.

14 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

this dude, at age 22, ran onto a high school field to join a brawl, knowing that he had a potential NFL job in his future

and people actually think he can be a competent QB in this league

This! Being an NFL QB is not just an athletic job. You have to be the face of a billion dollar company. This guy isn't cut out for it.

Well, the details came out, and they were UGLY.

I said wait until we know more - well, we know he got into a fight at the party with a guest (come on), got belligerent (come on x 2), and then dodged security to go outside..and then got into the nearby house (the final nail).

So yeah, this wasn't a benign "got drunk/high, and then got lost in wrong house"...it's 1000x worse.   So I said yesterday wait for the info, don't cut...but can't argue the cut at all with the full info out now.  No-brainer.

Chad has to have mental helth issues and heavy anger managment issues. I have seen guys like him in my life with checkered pasts try so, so hard to get it together only to have some cognitive switch flip (Likely lubricated by alcahol) and throw it all away. He strikes me as a toned down version of Colt Lyerla, who has serious mental health issues himself.

I hope Elway follows through with trying to rehab Kelly and get him help, and I hope that he can someday return to the NFL. He has the talent, he just needs to stay away from substances with what can only be a fragile mental state. Cutting bait, walking away and not helping him get mental assistance could lead to a full on Lyerla type spiral. You cant wait for the government to get involved and try to rehab him, that basically never works, it has to be friends, family and teammates. Hopefully things improve for him. Sitting here, labeling him an idiot and giggling is just such a basic take on substance abuse and mental health.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I said wait until we know more - well, we know he got into a fight at the party with a guest (come on), got belligerent (come on x 2), and then dodged security to go outside..and then got into the nearby house (the final nail).

So yeah, this wasn't a benign "got drunk/high, and then got lost in wrong house"...it's 1000x worse.   So I said yesterday wait for the info, don't cut...but can't argue the cut at all with the full info out now.  No-brainer.

Yeah, kind of hard to warrant a second chance considering the facts here, especially since this isnt even the first time something like this has happened involving him.  He seems to want to send a message in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Say what you want about Manziel's off the field decision making, but at least when he got involved with drugs and alcohol he wasnt trying to fight people or get overly aggressive or break into a random person's house to hide from security, he was just digging himself into an unnecessary hole.  If Kelly was a safety or a lineman or even a running back or a wide receiver, it would be much easier to look past this.  But being a quarterback is about much more than having physical traits.  So much of the position involves being mentally sound and making correct decisions both on and off the field.  This isnt just a lapse in judgement, this is about as bad as it gets and it explains much more about why he dropped to the last overall pick in the draft

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Hey yall. Let's keep this discussion away from alcohol and drugs and focused on how this is going to affect Chad Kelly and the Broncos. Thanks.

The Broncos Christmas party will be much less interesting without whatever this guy brings to the party.

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Holy moly, his career is done. Doubtful he gets a 2nd chance, even in Canada.

Archived