Everson Griffen Rejoining Team

SemperFeist

I still think Griffen's illness was behind the team's brutally bad performance against the Bills. That game was a huge outlier for both teams.

Hopefully his return will spark the Vikings this week. Beating the Saints would re-establish them as contenders. 

Weatherly has played well enough to continue getting significant snaps even with Griffen healthy. I'd like to see Griffen at DT in nickel (where he used to play before Allen left) with Weatherly and Hunter outside. I don't think the left/right positioning matters much between the top 2 guys but if anything I like Hunter at LDE on early downs since he's the better run defender. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think once Griffen is back up to speed, he should be the LE and Hunter stays at RE.

Seems like Zimmer moves them around enough that they will get looks on both sides frequently.

Its been nice seeing Weatherly take advantage of his opportunity. He's played pretty well.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Seems like Zimmer moves them around enough that they will get looks on both sides frequently.

Its been nice seeing Weatherly take advantage of his opportunity. He's played pretty well.

Weatherlys play is a nice feather for the sitauation. Should make it easier to ease Everson back in properly. I like the idea of using him situationally the next few weeks before the bye while he works his way back into shape.

12 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I agree

Keep rotating them between RE/LE and use it as a bit of a curveball against the LT/RT. Something that will make the linemen think rather than knowing Griffen or Hunter are going to be aligned against them most of the game. Then you throw Weatherly into the fold, it just doesn't allow the linemen to get into a rhythm against one guy.

I am very happy for Everson...one of the terrible consequences of a behavioral health crisis is that a patient sometimes is isolated from their normal surroundings and support system.  It's a very good sign that he's ready be back with the team, and it's good for the team to have him back.  I am impressed that the Vikings have been in regular contact with Everson's medical team.  It sounds like they are prepared to be a major part of Everson's process of controlling whatever precipitated this crisis.

I also hope...when he's ready...that he will use his high profile to bring attention to mental illness, as he indicates.  Our society needs to destigmatize mental illness urgently.

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Our society needs to destigmatize mental illness

Does society really still stigmatize mental illness? Maybe I've been around it too much in my life. On the other hand, I never really felt like I was around it more than average. I guess I don't really know what average is.

I feel like the remaining stigma more of an imaginary stigma that an individual in that situation feels rather than an actual stigma. When one of my coworkers took six months of short-term disability to deal with his diagnosed depression there I didn't see or hear anyone do anything like that. He might have felt like we did something. A person feeling something that isn't really there is what I mean by imaginary stigma.

When one of my close friends' wife has been in and out of the hospital and getting her brain scrambled electrically I never witnessed or heard of anyone doing anything to stigmatize her condition. Her memory is shot and from what I can tell everyone has been very understanding of the situation. I don't know how she felt though. She may have felt that we thought less of her.

My father was in and out of the VA hospital from when I was too young to remember and throughout with some conditions which I never fully understood. My understanding is that the VA is terrible at diagnosing these things as I variously heard their guesses as depression, maniac depression, schizophrenia, and bi-polar along with an drug cocktail menu that changed every step along the way. Dad was still on medication his whole life and does well enough as long as he doesn't stop taking the medication. That said, the government never stopped cutting him monthly checks for permanent disability caused by the war. It wasn't caused by the war but that is a different story and I might get accused of stigmatizing the situation if I suggest doubt on the story of what triggered the conditions -- whatever it/they was/were. I think he felt some shame and I know that his employer did stigmatize it as they tried firing him for the condition. He did, after a year without job, win the grievance, get his backpay for the year, and get his job back. That was a long, long time ago though. Does that still happen?

I never heard or saw any suggestions online that stigmatize Griffen's condition. That said, I also never looked and being that it is the Internet I am sure it is out there. I don't think some jerks on the Internet would be a reflection of society in general stigmatizing the condition.

I think it is kind of like breastfeeding. It isn't really stigmatized anymore but some people personally feel imaginary societal shame anyway. I mean, the same they feel is real but it is put on them by themselves, not by society anymore. Or is it?

Guess I'll find out if I snap and end up with dad's condition. I hope it isn't hereditary. I used to worry about that but figure I am old enough by now that it must not be hereditary. Or maybe I just haven't been exposed to the right stresses yet.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Does society really still stigmatize mental illness? Maybe I've been around it too much in my life. On the other hand, I never really felt like I was around it more than average. I guess I don't really know what average is.

I feel like the remaining stigma more of an imaginary stigma that an individual in that situation feels rather than an actual stigma. When one of my coworkers took six months of short-term disability to deal with his diagnosed depression there I didn't see or hear anyone do anything like that. He might have felt like we did something. A person feeling something that isn't really there is what I mean by imaginary stigma.

When one of my close friends' wife has been in and out of the hospital and getting her brain scrambled electrically I never witnessed or heard of anyone doing anything to stigmatize her condition. Her memory is shot and from what I can tell everyone has been very understanding of the situation. I don't know how she felt though. She may have felt that we thought less of her.

My father was in and out of the VA hospital from when I was too young to remember and throughout with some conditions which I never fully understood. My understanding is that the VA is terrible at diagnosing these things as I variously heard their guesses as depression, maniac depression, schizophrenia, and bi-polar along with an drug cocktail menu that changed every step along the way. Dad was still on medication his whole life and does well enough as long as he doesn't stop taking the medication. That said, the government never stopped cutting him monthly checks for permanent disability caused by the war. It wasn't caused by the war but that is a different story and I might get accused of stigmatizing the situation if I suggest doubt on the story of what triggered the conditions -- whatever it/they was/were. I think he felt some shame and I know that his employer did stigmatize it as they tried firing him for the condition. He did, after a year without job, win the grievance, get his backpay for the year, and get his job back. That was a long, long time ago though. Does that still happen?

I never heard or saw any suggestions online that stigmatize Griffen's condition. That said, I also never looked and being that it is the Internet I am sure it is out there. I don't think some jerks on the Internet would be a reflection of society in general stigmatizing the condition.

I think it is kind of like breastfeeding. It isn't really stigmatized anymore but some people personally feel imaginary societal shame anyway. I mean, the same they feel is real but it is put on them by themselves, not by society anymore. Or is it?

Guess I'll find out if I snap and end up with dad's condition. I hope it isn't hereditary. I used to worry about that but figure I am old enough by now that it must not be hereditary. Or maybe I just haven't been exposed to the right stresses yet.

If you do find yourself facing a mental health diagnosis, I hope that you have the support system that would help you regain functioning.  I guess I am aware, working in healthcare the last eighteen years, that even some physicians don't believe that mental health problems are the result of diseases...real honest to goodness pathologies...and not the result of some moral deficit.  I know plenty of religious folks who see mental health issues as moral failure.  Some still believe that things like addiction, depression, schizophrenia are something a person can just "snap out of."

I guess I will believe that mental health is no longer a stigma when a major entertainer does an annual 24 hour telethon on behalf of folks diagnosed as being Bi-Polar!

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I was just saying something similar last night, though not just about mental illness. I think everyone has something about them that they'd like to change. They want to change in order to fit in with societal norms. But really, for the people we're closest to, those things don't really matter.

I think social media has really taken this to a new extreme. Everyone has an opinion, and in many cases, you can make it known anonymously. You can totally attack someone anonymously and not face the consequences. Those who talk loudest online seem to have become the new perceived societal norm, overtaking the tabloids of the last generation. What's being shared must be true if it's shared so much on social media. In truth, you have to find your own reality. A reality for you might not be the reality for someone else, but that doesn't make either of you any less of a person.

I think there is definitely still a stigma. The fact that Everson Griffen taking time off to address his mental health was a massive story, and Dalvin Cook's hamstring is a footnote highlights that point. 

People in general don't see psychological issues the same way that they see a physical illness or injury. They are seen as weird/different/off and until that changes the folks that deal with psychological problems will continue to be hesitant to come forward or address them publicly. 

Griffen: “This is bigger than football, this is all part of the process. We’ve got a good group of individuals in place — the Minnesota Vikings, myself, my doctors, my family. We’ve got a plan in place. We’re going to execute the plan day in and day out. We’re going to stay on top of it. That’s our goal.”

Griffen apologized “to the people I impacted” while taking full responsibility for the actions during a press conference. He declined to discuss the specifics of his issues, but said it was the right thing for him and something that he expects to address at some point in the future. Griffen, who said there’s been no determination about whether he’d play, urged others who might be struggling to get help and hopes that when he shares his story that it will provide some help to people in similar situations.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/24/everson-griffen-this-is-bigger-than-football/

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

On October 23, 2018 at 9:47 PM, Krauser said:

I still think Griffen's illness was behind the team's brutally bad performance against the Bills. That game was a huge outlier for both teams.

Hopefully his return will spark the Vikings this week. Beating the Saints would re-establish them as contenders. 

Weatherly has played well enough to continue getting significant snaps even with Griffen healthy. I'd like to see Griffen at DT in nickel (where he used to play before Allen left) with Weatherly and Hunter outside. I don't think the left/right positioning matters much between the top 2 guys but if anything I like Hunter at LDE on early downs since he's the better run defender. 

The Vikes also played a very long and emotional overtime game the week prior, I'm sure that played a role too. Seems like the team had no fight after Cousins put the ball on the ground, twice.