Everson Griffen Rejoining Team

SemperFeist

The Minnesota Vikings were contacted by the NFL league office and told to include defensive end Everson Griffen on the team’s injury report after not being listed on Wednesday, according to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer-Press.

It has yet to be determined whether Griffen will play this week for the Vikings. He was not listed on the team’s practice report on Wednesday, but was added to the report on Thursday after fully participating with a non-injury related designation. That designation was also retroactively applied to his Wednesday status as well.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/26/report-nfl-told-vikings-to-include-everson-griffen-on-injury-report/

• 2 weeks later...

Everson Griffen still is scraping off the rust from his five-game sabbatical, but his motor is purring and his mouth is running hot again as the Vikings enter their bye with a stronger toehold in the airtight NFC North. The enigmatic defensive end was among the rabid pass rushers who dropped anchor in Detroit’s backfield and tormented Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford during Minnesota’s dominant 24-9 victory Sunday at U.S. Bank Stadium. Griffen finished with 1 1/2 sacks and three quarterback hits, a modest performance compared to Danielle Hunter’s star-making afternoon. But the production and tenacity were telltale signs he is inching closer to full strength after leaving the team Weeks 3-7 for mental-health treatment following a publicized breakdown.

Griffen: “We like him [Stafford], I guess. He’s cute. I don’t know, dude, we just rush him good. It all starts with stopping the run. Affecting the quarterback is awesome, and we did a lot of that today, getting sacks and keeping him discombobulated in the pocket. Once you get him behind the 8-ball, in passing mode, you know you can pin your ears back and have a chance. I’m just happy to be back with my team. It feels good. Still knocking the rust off a little bit, but it’s faster than I thought it would be. Our defense still has a lot of improvements to make, but we did really good.”

Sheldon Richardson:  “When D and Griff are out there, they’re a terrible tandem. They get after it.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/04/vikings-everson-griffen-starting-to-play-like-his-old-self/

Edited by vike daddy

Spielman: Everson has done everything he’s been asked to do by the professional medical people he’s working with and beyond. Everson is in a very good spot now. But it’s not OK today — it’s an ongoing thing. Everson is hellbent on being a success story. But I want to make sure as an organization we put all the pieces in place to make sure that he has the best chance of success.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/07/everson-griffen-in-a-very-good-spot-now/

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

What do you guys want to do with him? 

What do you think his trade value would be?

The team needs to reduce their exposure to risk here. I want the team to talk to him about a reworked deal that cuts his base pay and then adds some roster bonuses and incentives that would allow him to recoup most of the money if things go well. If Griffen's camp isn't interested in agreeing to something I cut him loose.

• Like 1

Given the way Griffen played after he returned, coupled with how well Weatherly played, Griffen would need to take a serious pay cut for me to not try and unload him. 

If you can assure a team that he’s mentally stable, I think you’d be able to get a 4th round pick for him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

What do you guys want to do with him? 

What do you think his trade value would be?

I think a paycut would be ideal, he's not cheap. I'm not ready to move on from Griffen, I value DL talent and depth and I don't think we've got enough if Weatherly is forced into a starting role.

51 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think a paycut would be ideal, he's not cheap. I'm not ready to move on from Griffen, I value DL talent and depth and I don't think we've got enough if Weatherly is forced into a starting role.

Agreed.  I have zero interest in trying to move him.  I'd certainly consider working with him to lower his cap number, if at all possible, but I'm not cutting him or trading him.  Plus, his value on the trade market would be less than what he already delivers to them.  I'm not sure they could get a 4th rounder for him based on his age and his mental health issue.  

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

woah. As sad as I would've been to see Griffen go, that would have been a great move.

I wonder how it would have worked out salary wise since the Vikes had to get a paycut from Griffen.

if Zeitler was acquired, it's probably safe to assume that Kline wouldn't have been signed (but maybe the Vikes would have signed a veteran DE).

i suspect a Zeitler trade could have pressured the Vikes to cut Rudolph.

19 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I wonder how it would have worked out salary wise since the Vikes had to get a paycut from Griffen.

if Zeitler was acquired, it's probably safe to assume that Kline wouldn't have been signed (but maybe the Vikes would have signed a veteran DE).

i suspect a Zeitler trade could have pressured the Vikes to cut Rudolph.

I’m guessing it would have just been not signing Kline. 

IIRC, the team didn’t need to restructure Griffen in order to re-sign Barr (based on Barr’s contract structure). The timing just made it seem like it. 

• Like 1