The Best Movie Ever Made According to You (AND WHY)

MacReady

Empire is my sentimental favorite its the first movie i can remember seeing in a theater and has fueled my love for star wars for 30+ years.  Achievement in score with John Williams adding the imperial march to the already incredible score from the first movie.  It was nominated for best picture (and should have won) at a time when only 5 films got the nod and it was never a blockbuster.  Created one of the greatest twists in cinematic history.  And on top of all that Mark Hamill made you believe a puppet was a real person.  Add in some of the greatest lines ever and you have a true masterpiece of film making.

My 2nd nominee is back to the future.  Lets start with the writing bc as has been said many times over, its a perfect script.  Its crisp clean exposition is at a minimum and really is only used to explain the maguffin of the film.  Michael j fox and christopher lloyd turned in iconic performances and what the makeup artists were able to do to age the 20 something actors was a breakthrough at the time.  Alan Silvestri turned in an iconic score and probably his best of all time.  And to think they basically had to shoot the entire movie twice because of the replacement of eric stoltz and its an absolute marvel

Well The Godfather has a case despite its goofy death scenes. But in my opinion, I'd go with either Good Will Hunting or The Patriot. Obviously not the greatest movie of all time by everyone or anyone's standards but I hold them at a high regard and they never get old for me. I think Damon and Williams did a phenomenal job in GWH and The Patriot is a fun movie with cool fighting scenes and decent dialogue for a big movie.

39 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Well The Godfather has a case despite its goofy death scenes. But in my opinion, I'd go with either Good Will Hunting or The Patriot. Obviously not the greatest movie of all time by everyone or anyone's standards but I hold them at a high regard and they never get old for me. I think Damon and Williams did a phenomenal job in GWH and The Patriot is a fun movie with cool fighting scenes and decent dialogue for a big movie.

GWH is up there for me too. It's one of those movies that whenever it's on I watch it. Just such great writing, and acting from Damon, Williams.

L.A.Confidential, the real best picture of 1997.  Great acting, great dialogue, great characters.  Multiple characters with arcs  Spoilers, I guess, this film is 20 years old. 

Exley goes from being gung ho in going after anyone who is guilty to being more careful with who he accuses and why

White goes from beating the hell out of anyone, especially women beaters to being more cool.

Vincennes goes from caring more about him and his show, to being more helpful in solving crimes.

We don't see the actual massacre take place, only the aftermath.  

Captain Smith telling Exley that in order to be a detective you have to be corrupt, plant evidence on those who you know or believe to know are guilty in order to get a conviction.  Or shoot a criminal in the back so he won't get away with his crime(s)

The plot being more complex and deeper than it actually is. 

Great dialogue as well such as:

Bud White: The Nite Owl case made you. Do you want to tear all that down?

Ed Exley: With a wrecking ball... You want to help me swing it?

The Lana Turner scene

The 'good cop-bad cop' scene

The interrogation scene

This movie is nearly flawless.  it's a must see.  My only regret is I didn't see it in the theater. 

L.A. Confidential is one of the best examples of a newer generation of Hollywood taking on an older version of Hollywood, updating it to fit a post-Hayes Code Hollywood (in which the category of film noir was essentially born), and making it not only new, but also old.  I have it at 9/10.  Only reason it's not a 10/10 is because it doesn't have that all-important rewatchability trait that all of my 10/10 movies have. 

Wouldn't call it the best movie ever made, but wanna give a shout out to Memento.  The story itself is worth a watch but add in the premise of hazy memory of the protagonist and causing viewers to feel that as well was superb.  You legit feel bewildered and try to piece things together at the beginning of each scene just like Leonard.  Layering in the Sammy side story to keep the flow for further characterization helped keep the flow nice and built Leonard as a character too.  Great movie.

And while I'm mentioning Nolan, The Prestige was amazing as well.

• Like 1

His Girl Friday - Brilliantly acted, great adaptation of a story many already knew but with a good twist changing Hildy to a woman. The dialogue was great and the cadence made it much more believable and revolutionary for the time.

The Lion in Winter - All you really need to know is Katharine Hepburn, Peter O'Toole, and Anthony Hopkins all at the top of their game. Add in the back and forth of fierce defiance and vulnerability from duplicitous characters so that you never know when they are being honest and when they are just playing a game trying to get an upper hand. Even more is it is actually fairly accurate to true events about the succession of King Henry II of England's holdings. I am a sucker for accurate historical dramatizations. Love learning and being entertained at the same time.

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

John Wick: Chapter 2

Case: Action is the best genre, it has the best action.

How does it feel to slap Die Hard and Predator in the face?  Does it feel good?  If action is the best genre, pay your dues.  John Wick: Chapter 2 wouldn't exist without Die Hard.

Sorry, your right and your favorite movie, but I get defensive whenever people try to say there's a better action movie than Die Hard. 

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

How does it feel to slap Die Hard and Predator in the face?  Does it feel good?  If action is the best genre, pay your dues.  John Wick: Chapter 2 wouldn't exist without Die Hard.

Sorry, your right and your favorite movie, but I get defensive whenever people try to say there's a better action movie than Die Hard. 

I have to go back and watch die hard, only seen it once and just seems like a overrated movie to me when people call it the best action movie ever.

Just now, O'Doyle Rules said:

I have to go back and watch die hard, only seen it once and just seems like a overrated movie to me when people call it the best action movie ever.

I'm trying to remain calm...

Action movies as they exist right now would not exist without Die Hard.  Die Hard forever changed the action genre.  I'm not going to list the reasons because I'm lazy now, but Die Hard is, to me, without a doubt, the single greatest action movie ever made.  It still holds up to this day, and it paved the way for action as we know it.  If you're interested, give a few of these articles a read.  They're not long, but they do an alright (not great) job of explaining things.

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/5-things-die-hard-changed-about-action-movies-forever

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2013/jul/19/die-hard-25th-anniversary-action-film