Marvin Lewis

SmittyBacall

I wasn’t really mad about Marv coming back this year because he is probably the best chance of winning a playoff game. Like said before I have no faith that Mikey will let whoever would take over after Marv actually implement their ideas and are doomed to fail so while Marv ain’t sniffing a Super Bowl he might finally win something of consequence. I’m all for moving on from Marv but I don’t see this team actually getting over the hump until he’s gone. 

21 hours ago, Futbudds said:

I wasn’t really mad about Marv coming back this year because he is probably the best chance of winning a playoff game. Like said before I have no faith that Mikey will let whoever would take over after Marv actually implement their ideas and are doomed to fail so while Marv ain’t sniffing a Super Bowl he might finally win something of consequence. I’m all for moving on from Marv but I don’t see this team actually getting over the hump until he’s gone. 

I'm not sure it's really M Brown holding anything back at this point.  He's handed most everything off.  The coaching decisions all seem to come from Marvin.  The business side is run by Katie Blackburn, and player/personnel comes down to Duke Tobin and Marvin.

I think i'm in the camp now that a coaching change could do some good.  There's a good potential (probably 50%+) that a coaching changes makes the team backslide.  But there's a chance it doesn't.

The big problem with making a coaching change is that it comes down to a crucial hire made by Mike and Katie, and they haven't had to do that in a long time.  The Browns are probably better at hiring HC's than the Bengals at this point. :D

16 hours ago, theJ said:

I'm not sure it's really M Brown holding anything back at this point.  He's handed most everything off.  The coaching decisions all seem to come from Marvin.  The business side is run by Katie Blackburn, and player/personnel comes down to Duke Tobin and Marvin.

I think i'm in the camp now that a coaching change could do some good.  There's a good potential (probably 50%+) that a coaching changes makes the team backslide.  But there's a chance it doesn't.

The big problem with making a coaching change is that it comes down to a crucial hire made by Mike and Katie, and they haven't had to do that in a long time.  The Browns are probably better at hiring HC's than the Bengals at this point. :D

My biggest gripe is finding a competent, sensible, innovative HC willing to be stifled by management that seemingly doesn't care about winning as much as other franchises. Who the hell would want to work with the Brown's/Blackburn's of the world? Guys like McDaniels, McVay or Pederson for instance, would never consider the job even with the quality personnel pieces we've established. We're a cheap, small-market franchise compliant to mediocrity that will inevitably scrape the barrel for coaches willing to come here. Just like we did with Teryl Austin. Just like Jay Gruden from the UFL. And just like we're going to do when Marvin splits and we sign on Hue Jackson. This franchise isn't willing to go for it and the whole league knows it.

I apologize for being such a pessimistic downer. I'm just sick of it all already.

5 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

We're a cheap, small-market franchise compliant to mediocrity that will inevitably scrape the barrel for coaches willing to come here. Just like we did with Teryl Austin. Just like Jay Gruden from the UFL.

Are these salaries published?  I've never gotten the sense that they've cheaped out on assistant coaches.  Usually the coaching staff has been pretty top notch.  Are they always the popular names?  Not necessarily.  But i'm not so sure that's very important when interviewing a HC.  They're going to be more concerned about their pay, what the limits of their power are, how committed they need to be the existing personnel and coaching staff, etc.

Remember, this is 1/32 of these jobs in the whole world.  Most candidates can't afford to ignore an opportunity, no matter the franchise (even the Browns).  Especially when this particular one has a good core of players.

Also, McDaniels already sucked it up as a HC.  I wouldn't so worried if he doesn't want to interview in Cincinnati.

6 minutes ago, theJ said:

what the limits of their power are, how committed they need to be the existing personnel and coaching staff, etc.

I was more alluding to this and our lack or aggressiveness to roster a better football team.Teams like New England, New Orleans, LA Rams etc. make aggressive moves to corral players that give them a better chance at winning year in and year out; whether through FA, trades, draft trades etc. Maybe it's because they're legit Superbowl contenders who are a few pieces away from winning it all and pushing all their chips into the middle. I don't know. But as a fan it's what you want to see. We abide by fielding players through the draft and proffering FA's contracts below their market value, while preaching a commitment to the length of the low-ball deal. Which works when you're hitting on draft picks. But when you whiff a few consecutive drafts you're done for. How many years are we consistently not even close to reaching our max cap space? 

The Cordy Glenn thing was a breath of fresh air. It'll be interesting to see how this off season goes. Don't mind me. I'm just venting. It's too frustrating being a Bengals fan.

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

How many years are we consistently not even close to reaching our max cap space? 

I wouldn't pay that much attention.  Cap space is whatever a team wants it to be.  It's too complicated be able to compare two teams numbers and be able to understand how much they're paying players.

The fact that they don't pursue FA's or trades is a different matter.  Completely understand the frustration there.

15 hours ago, Futbudds said:

So here’s the game. Next week if they beat baltimore they have a really great chance of falling backward into the playoffs which will cement another year or two Marv at the helm. FOR THE GOOD OF THE LAND is it better for them to win or lose?

If they can win, they should win.  It does the next coach no favors for winning players to get used to losing.

Should be an interesting game.  Both teams are train wrecks right now.  Right now i'd give Baltimore the edge, since it's in Baltimore and AJ won't play.

Archived