Todd Gurley vs. LaDainian Tomlinson

tyler735

Todd Gurley vs. LaDainian Tomlinson  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better RB?

• Todd Gurley
    • LaDainian Tomlinson

5 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

With that being said, I think Gurley has brought back the running backs. It wasnt Zeke who did it. Gurley did it because the Rams took a chance on him with the 10th pick and it paid off right away as Gurley had a big rookie season. He did something that no other back has ever done and still hasnt done. Gurley because the first back in NFL history to have 4 straight 125+yds rushing to start a career as the starting back. Now Gurley is on pace to break the touchdown record and possibly win the MVP which is harder to do in a QB league. So while I really like LT, I think what Gurley is doing is special considering all the rules benefiting the QB.

The passing era point is debatable, at best. The only point that there would be to make is that since it’s generally easier to pass, the rushing attempts get stymied a little bit but even that doesn’t truly apply to Gurley vs LT specifically. 

Gurley’s on pace for 329 rushes to LT’s 348 rushes. Gurley’s also on pace to have more rushing attempts in the red zone and inside the 5 yard line (higher TD% runs). His leg up vs LT will be in his receiving - he’s already got the same number of TD receptions as Tomlinson had in 06 - but that only hurts the “QB era” argument more.

Add that into the fact that defenses are more likely to be in a sub-package vs a base defense, then I don’t see the era caveat passing judgement. 

Gurley’s 2018 may very well end up being more impressive than LT’s 2006, wouldn’t surprise me, but he’s not having an amazing season in an era that’s designed to prevent it or something. If anything, you’d argue LT played in an era that was more designed to stop what he was doing (1800 rushing yards, 28 rushing TDs).

These kinds of questions are kind of silly because they involved comparing a retired legend to a guy who is literally in the prime of his career.  Gurley's stats and accomplishments don't measure up to Tomlinson's at this point, so why would anyone pick Gurley over him?

21 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

LT is on a completely different level than Gurley.

Comments like these just are over the top. 

In a league where the RBs are all phenomenal one lies a top as the clear cut one. Let’s not downplay Gurley who in 7 games has 14 TDS. 

54 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Comments like these just are over the top. 

In a league where the RBs are all phenomenal one lies a top as the clear cut one. Let’s not downplay Gurley who in 7 games has 14 TDS. 

That's great and all but when you really examine Gurley's stats this year, they're not that impressive. I'll give you some specific examples that kind of give context to the season he's having:

Basically, Todd Gurley is the feature piece in an offense that is VERY good and is reaping the statistical benefits from that, but when you examine his individual play, it's really not jumping off the page like many other players are. 

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That's great and all but when you really examine Gurley's stats this year, they're not that impressive. I'll give you some specific examples that kind of give context to the season he's having:

Basically, Todd Gurley is the feature piece in an offense that is VERY good and is reaping the statistical benefits from that, but when you examine his individual play, it's really not jumping off the page like many other players are. 

Scoring TDS >>> FGs. Can’t punish the gawd for finishing.. also, for being a Seattle homer the dude has 7 tds against them (2 games) from all distances.. This isn’t Melvin Gordon type tds, Todd has been the focal point of the offense ane his YPC is Phenomenal.. 

LT use to be the king of the end zone with his patent leap. A TD from the one is just as good as a TD from any distance. 

5 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Scoring TDS >>> FGs. Can’t punish the gawd for finishing.. also, for being a Seattle homer the dude has 7 tds against them (2 games) from all distances.. This isn’t Melvin Gordon type tds, Todd has been the focal point of the offense ane his YPC is Phenomenal.. 

LT use to be the king of the end zone with his patent leap. A TD from the one is just as good as a TD from any distance. 

I'm not punishing him for finishing, but can you honestly tell me a different back in the same offense wouldn't be scoring those TD's from 1 yard out? Come on. What do you mean "from all distances"? His longest TD run this year is 11 yards lol

Todd Gurley, despite playing in the league's best offense has a YPC of 4.8, which is good for 13th in the NFL. RB's with a higher YPC: Matt Breida, Kerryon Johnson, Phillip Lindsey, Austin Ekeler, Isaiah Crowell, Melvin Gordon, Saquon Barkley, Christian McCaffrey, Kenyan Drake and Latavius Murray. It's not that impressive, especially when you adjust for scheme and the fact that Gurley isn't breaking that many tackles. It indicates his OL is performing extremely well and Gurley is reaping the benefits. We can confirm this by looking at Football Outsiders adjusted line yards, in which LAR ranks #1. In RB yards they're #7 (that's just Gurley...). Open field rank, the Rams are 19th(!!!).

All I'm telling you is that Gurley's success this year appears to be misleading. There are many other RB's having better individual seasons than he is. And that's why I'm saying LT is on a different level than Gurley.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm not punishing him for finishing, but can you honestly tell me a different back in the same offense wouldn't be scoring those TD's from 1 yard out? Come on. What do you mean "from all distances"? His longest TD run this year is 11 yards lol

Todd Gurley, despite playing in the league's best offense has a YPC of 4.8, which is good for 13th in the NFL. RB's with a higher YPC: Matt Breida, Kerryon Johnson, Phillip Lindsey, Austin Ekeler, Isaiah Crowell, Melvin Gordon, Saquon Barkley, Christian McCaffrey, Kenyan Drake and Latavius Murray. It's not that impressive, especially when you adjust for scheme and the fact that Gurley isn't breaking that many tackles. It indicates his OL is performing extremely well and Gurley is reaping the benefits. We can confirm this by looking at Football Outsiders adjusted line yards, in which LAR ranks #1. In RB yards they're #7 (that's just Gurley...). Open field rank, the Rams are 19th(!!!).

All I'm telling you is that Gurley's success this year appears to be misleading. There are many other RB's having better individual seasons than he is. And that's why I'm saying LT is on a different level than Gurley.

Lol. Tsk tsk. Tsk. I guess when Seattle stopped being good you stopped watching. 

@showtime this man thinks any rb could be doing the things Gurley is doing. 

Archived