Todd Gurley vs. LaDainian Tomlinson

tyler735

Todd Gurley vs. LaDainian Tomlinson  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better RB?

• Todd Gurley
    • LaDainian Tomlinson

18 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I watch the Seahawks every week my man. I'm merely giving you the statistics to back up my claims. What are you doing to back up yours?

You know it’s not true bro. You’re making Gurley sound like scrub middle tier HB. One you brought up those claims with

cherry picked stats there’s no point. Broken tackles? When your HB is almost avg 5 YPC is leading the league in rushing and YFS, who gives a crap how many broken tackles he has? What a dumb stat lol like if that’s a measurement of being elite. 

Look ok at the production the last two years.. 

Alex Collins is leaving yards behind that Bal Oline. There is no way he could be having the succes Gurley is having. 

10 minutes ago, El ramster said:

You know it’s not true bro. You’re making Gurley sound like scrub middle tier HB. One you brought up those claims with

cherry picked stats there’s no point. Broken tackles? When your HB is almost avg 5 YPC is leading the league in rushing and YFS, who gives a crap how many broken tackles he has? What a dumb stat lol like if that’s a measurement of being elite. 

Look ok at the production the last two years.. 

Alex Collins is leaving yards behind that Bal Oline. There is no way he could be having the succes Gurley is having. 

NOTE: If anyone is reading this thread has as a PFF subscription, would you be kind enough to post the "Yards before Contact" stat for 2018 OL's?

I suspect LAR's OL ranks in the top 5 in Yards before contact in 2018, and I say that because Gurley has a very high YPC but also has a very mediocre broken tackles/rush statistic, indicating that he's getting a lot of that yardage before contact, leading me to believe his OL is doing a great job in opening up holes for him.

I'm using broken tackles / rush because quite frankly running the ball successfully often means breaking tackles. If it doesn't mean breaking tackles, it means having a great OL opening up holes for you (aka Justin Forsett for the Ravens was a great example of this). I'm also interested in Yards After Contact, which would indicate if Gurley is simply taking what his OL gives him, or if he's routinely breaking tackles and getting more yards.

I'm not suggesting he's a middle-tier RB, rammy. I'm saying he's not on the level of LaDanian Tomlinson. There's quite a gap of talent there, wouldn't you agree?

And I think we both know you don't know a damn thing about Alex Collins and why our run game is struggling. Otherwise, you'd know it ain't on Collins:

Now tell me, Rammy, would Todd Gurley look this good running into gaps like that?

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

NOTE: If anyone is reading this thread has as a PFF subscription, would you be kind enough to post the "Yards before Contact" stat for 2018 OL's?

I suspect LAR's OL ranks in the top 5 in Yards before contact in 2018, and I say that because Gurley has a very high YPC but also has a very mediocre broken tackles/rush statistic, indicating that he's getting a lot of that yardage before contact, leading me to believe his OL is doing a great job in opening up holes for him.

I'm using broken tackles / rush because quite frankly running the ball successfully often means breaking tackles. If it doesn't mean breaking tackles, it means having a great OL opening up holes for you (aka Justin Forsett for the Ravens was a great example of this). I'm also interested in Yards After Contact, which would indicate if Gurley is simply taking what his OL gives him, or if he's routinely breaking tackles and getting more yards.

I'm not suggesting he's a middle-tier RB, rammy. I'm saying he's not on the level of LaDanian Tomlinson. There's quite a gap of talent there, wouldn't you agree?

And I think we both know you don't know a damn thing about Alex Collins and why our run game is struggling. Otherwise, you'd know it ain't on Collins:

Now tell me, Rammy, would Todd Gurley look this good running into gaps like that?

My mans really using the twitter for the sauce.. 

ill brb with som twitter quotes and stats so I could speak your language. And no I don’t agree.. Chris Simms who watches every game (hate him because of his opinion of Goff) always talks about how bad Alex Collins is. 

4 minutes ago, El ramster said:

My mans really using the twitter for the sauce.. 

ill brb with som twitter quotes and stats so I could speak your language. And no I don’t agree.. Chris Simms who watches every game (hate him because of his opinion of Goff) always talks about how bad Alex Collins is. 

Bro you haven't brought a single piece of evidence here to back up anything. And now you're saying Alex Collins is bad because Chris Simms (who you already hate) said he's bad? What? Figure it out, Rammy.

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Bro you haven't brought a single piece of evidence here to back up anything. And now you're saying Alex Collins is bad because Chris Simms (who you already hate) said he's bad? What? Figure it out, Rammy.

Because your whole argument relies on the fact that Todd Gurley is only good because of his Oline/team. 

Like think about that for a second. I use to be that way when Watt would get easy sacks against RB/TEs. I was like man wish we could do that with Robert Quinn who would go against Left tackles all game. But great players just find ways to make it look easy.. Your whole argument lies of fake numbers that indicate and point out that A) Todd Gurley isn’t special and B) Any middle tier RB could score from the 1. But they’re aren’t many doing that are they bby? 

Again broken tackles means zip nada.. When did that become a indicator? 

I never said Simms was bad. I just don’t share his opinion on Goff or other QBs. But the man knows his football, and their show is one of the best ones out there. 

Basically, Todd Gurley is the feature piece in an offense that is VERY good and is reaping the statistical benefits from that, but when you examine his individual play, it's really not jumping off the page like many other players are. 

This brings up an interesting discussion when it comes to the MVP award. How much do we penalize players who benefit from a well designed offensive scheme that boost their statistical production? 

Gurley is a good back but watching the Rams he benefits greatly from a good oline and overall scheme. Malcolm Brown is averaging over 5 ypc and the Rams offense keeps chugging along when he's subbed in the game. I don't get the sense of an all time great when I watch Gurley.

Saquan on the other hand.......

It’s so fun being a Rams fan right now. Gurley is only good because of the line and the rest of the talent on offense. Gurley isn’t that good because his backup has more ypc, yet last week somebody was also calling Brown a scrub. Goff isn’t that good because Gurley the line and his receivers are so good. TE Rams WR aren’t that good it’s all Goff and the system. Goff, Gurley and the line all get called system players. McVay isn’t that good he’s just got good players. The players aren’t that good they’re just carried by McVay. Every week the narrative changes, makes it very entertaining to read people’s opinions on the Rams so far nobody is that good and yet everybody is good, the story just changes depending on who people want to say isn’t good.

28 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

It’s so fun being a Rams fan right now. Gurley is only good because of the line and the rest of the talent on offense. Gurley isn’t that good because his backup has more ypc, yet last week somebody was also calling Brown a scrub. Goff isn’t that good because Gurley the line and his receivers are so good. TE Rams WR aren’t that good it’s all Goff and the system. Goff, Gurley and the line all get called system players. McVay isn’t that good he’s just got good players. The players aren’t that good they’re just carried by McVay. Every week the narrative changes, makes it very entertaining to read people’s opinions on the Rams so far nobody is that good and yet everybody is good, the story just changes depending on who people want to say isn’t good.

Let’s go back to being the sosar lol jk 

I shouldn’t have replied but wow. The narrative that Gurley is a FB who steals TDS at the one is shocking to me. No one punished Priest Holmes or LT for jumping the pile, cheesing their stats..

Im just waiting for the Aaron Donald isn’t good because he’s small and his sacks are deceiving.

100% with the way everyone talks about the mob squad. 

3 hours ago, El ramster said:

Because your whole argument relies on the fact that Todd Gurley is only good because of his Oline/team. 

Like think about that for a second. I use to be that way when Watt would get easy sacks against RB/TEs. I was like man wish we could do that with Robert Quinn who would go against Left tackles all game. But great players just find ways to make it look easy.. Your whole argument lies of fake numbers that indicate and point out that A) Todd Gurley isn’t special and B) Any middle tier RB could score from the 1. But they’re aren’t many doing that are they bby? 

Again broken tackles means zip nada.. When did that become a indicator? 

I never said Simms was bad. I just don’t share his opinion on Goff or other QBs. But the man knows his football, and their show is one of the best ones out there. 

You're not reading anything I'm saying, Rammy. I'm not saying Gurley isn't good. I'm saying his stats are being inflated because of his scheme and the OL. Gurley is very good, in fact. Also, you accusing me of using "fake numbers" is hilarious. That's not a thing, Rammy. 

I've already explained to you why I was using broken tackles per rush in conjunction with his YPC to show you that A) He's not breaking that much tackles and B) since his YPC is so high + he's not breaking tackles, the conclusion from that is that he's getting a lot of yards before being touched. 

Bro you literally said you hate Simms for his opinion on Goff lmao you gotta figure out your arguments man. They're all over the place.

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

You're confusing my argument of "Gurley isn't LT because his stats are being inflated" to be "Gurley isn't good because his stats are being inflated". Those aren't the same arguments. Y'all need to actually read before responding.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You're confusing my argument of "Gurley isn't LT because his stats are being inflated" to be "Gurley isn't good because his stats are being inflated". Those aren't the same arguments. Y'all need to actually read before responding.

Oh I read you and several others in this thread and others about the Rams, usually btw not started by Rams fans. It was a comment to many people not just you don't feel special or singled out at all. 

4 hours ago, game3525 said:

This brings up an interesting discussion when it comes to the MVP award. How much do we penalize players who benefit from a well designed offensive scheme that boost their statistical production? 

None at all, based on previous MVP winners.

I have LT as one of the best backs of all time... easily top five. Gurley is awesome and the best back in the league, but he isn't all time great, at least not yet. Let's say Gurley wins MVP and breaks LTs reford this year and the Rams win the Superbowl then finished out a good career...then maybe...but unlikely.

Archived