GDT Week 8: Baltimore Ravens vs Carolina Panthers

DreamKid

17 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Tim Williams at 18%(!!!!) is just so stupid it hurts. TYUS BOWSER OUTSNAPPED HIM. TYUS. BOWSER. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?!?!

I still have to re watch the game and All-22, but I noticed a couple plays where we had Bowser on McCaffrey. Which was actually a smart utilization of him and a halftime adjustment I think. 

Remember ZDS got injured at some point and they don't trust Tim Williams against the run, and Bowser is better at dropping into coverage- which is something we constantly did against the Panthers. 

22 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Levine and Kenny Young need to be on the field more because CJ Mosley is borderline a wasted spot on the field at this point since he doesn't even have the green dot any longer.

I agree. Mosley is getting by on name alone. Show me the person who is going to stand up and confidently state that they would rather have Mosley on the field instead of Young/Levine on a key down?

24 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And with all the DL depth we've drafted over the past 4 years, nobody besides Michael Pierce (UDFA) seems to be making any sort of impact. Urban and Wormley are garbage and Brandon Williams has been invisible outside of committing penalties.

All of them are good at disrupting/stopping the run. They just aren't making a big impact against the pass. Which is key in today's NFL. Henry and ZDS are our main interior rushers. Henry is IR'd, and ZDS is injured now too. 

5 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I still have to re watch the game and All-22, but I noticed a couple plays where we had Bowser on McCaffrey. Which was actually a smart utilization of him and a halftime adjustment I think. 

Love this utilization of him. Wish I would've caught this during the game.

Remember ZDS got injured at some point and they don't trust Tim Williams against the run, and Bowser is better at dropping into coverage- which is something we constantly did against the Panthers. 

I don't know why we don't trust him against the run at this point. The narrative that he can't set the edge is long gone.

I agree. Mosley is getting by on name alone. Show me the person who is going to stand up and confidently state that they would rather have Mosley on the field instead of Young/Levine on a key down?

I would also like to meet this person, because I sure as hell don't trust him on any down in any situation at this point.

All of them are good at disrupting/stopping the run. They just aren't making a big impact against the pass. Which is key in today's NFL. Henry and ZDS are our main interior rushers. Henry is IR'd, and ZDS is injured now too. 

Are they, though? I have never seen Urban or Wormley or Seiler or anyone else of that group make any sort of impact in any aspect of the game. Maybe there's been one or two plays this entire season, but yeah there's just nothing there.

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Are they, though? I have never seen Urban or Wormley or Seiler or anyone else of that group make any sort of impact in any aspect of the game. Maybe there's been one or two plays this entire season, but yeah there's just nothing there.

From what I've watched and by most metrics they are. It's hard to find a Defensive Interior player that is going consistently make play after play. I mean think back on our game against the Titans. How often did you register Jurrell Casey? Even when he wasn't going up against Yanda, he didn't flash every play and he's considered one of the top DIs out there. 

According to PFF- Brent Urban are Brandon Williams are very good players. Michael Pierce is Elite. Chris Wormley and Willie Henry are Above Average. 

Zach Sieler has only played 11 regular season snaps. In the Preseason though he was one of the best DIs. Strong against the run and racked up a bunch of pressures. I wish we would give him a shot.  

I would like to see more from them as a unit though.

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

From what I've watched and by most metrics they are. It's hard to find a Defensive Interior player that is going consistently make play after play. I mean think back on our game against the Titans. How often did you register Jurrell Casey? Even when he wasn't going up against Yanda, he didn't flash every play and he's considered one of the top DIs out there. 

According to PFF- Brent Urban are Brandon Williams are very good players. Michael Pierce is Elite. Chris Wormley and Willie Henry are Above Average. 

Zach Sieler has only played 11 regular season snaps. In the Preseason though he was one of the best DIs. Strong against the run and racked up a bunch of pressures. I wish we would give him a shot.  

I would like to see more from them as a unit though.

RE: Jurrell Casey - I registered him constantly, but it was because he was getting dominated by Marshal Yanda. 

Brent Urban is not a very good player. In any sense of the word. Can you show me examples of him making plays? Brandon Williams the tape doesn't lie - he's been very good. Pierce absolutely is elite. Wormley above average? Are you kidding me?

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

RE: Jurrell Casey - I registered him constantly, but it was because he was getting dominated by Marshal Yanda. 

Brent Urban is not a very good player. In any sense of the word. Can you show me examples of him making plays? Brandon Williams the tape doesn't lie - he's been very good. Pierce absolutely is elite. Wormley above average? Are you kidding me?

I think I've started to crack PFF's system a bit and from what I can tell, their grades are favorable towards plus players against the run. For example, I don't think there is a penalty for not applying pressure. Like Brandon Williams could have 25 reps and not apply any pressure on 15 pass snaps, but then stuff the run on 6 of 10 run snaps. Then earn a dominant grade. While in reality it's pretty easy to argue that not effecting the pass on 15 snaps is more detrimental than the run stuffs are beneficial. 

Just now, DreamKid said:

I think I've started to crack PFF's system a bit and from what I can tell, their grades are favorable towards plus players against the run. For example, I don't think there is a penalty for not applying pressure. Like Brandon Williams could have 25 reps and not apply any pressure on 15 pass snaps, but then stuff the run on 6 of 10 run snaps. Then earn a dominant grade. While in reality it's pretty easy to argue that not effecting the pass on 15 snaps is more detrimental than the run stuffs are beneficial. 

That could be right - IIRC they mainly grade as to whether or not a player "does their job" and that's about it. It's why Evan Mathis dominated despite not being an actual elite player.

However, that still doesn't explain guys like Urban and Wormley. How in the world could they ever be considered good players even by PFF's metrics when they're invisible 100% of the time, or not making any impact whatsoever?

10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That could be right - IIRC they mainly grade as to whether or not a player "does their job" and that's about it. It's why Evan Mathis dominated despite not being an actual elite player.

However, that still doesn't explain guys like Urban and Wormley. How in the world could they ever be considered good players even by PFF's metrics when they're invisible 100% of the time, or not making any impact whatsoever?

I'm glad we prioritize stopping the run when the NFL is a passing league now. 4D Chess.

1 minute ago, M.10.E said:

I'm glad we prioritize stopping the run when the NFL is a passing league now. 4D Chess.

Even if they were hypothetically great at stuffing the run - we would've noticed it by now. They don't jump off the page in any aspect of the game. That's part of the reason why I'm wondering if there's video or statistical evidence to suggest that maybe I'm just blind.

Wormley has done his job. He doesn't get pushed around in the run game, he's disciplined, has run down a few plays including a sack against the Titans. That makes for an above average player I guess, according to PFF. There's plenty of players in this league who can't even do that much.

You're being to hard on Urban. He's done a lot for us this year. 

Even if they were hypothetically great at stuffing the run - we would've noticed it by now. They don't jump off the page in any aspect of the game. That's part of the reason why I'm wondering if there's video or statistical evidence to suggest that maybe I'm just blind.

RSR has notes on Urban from every game, but for the Panther game in particular when I watch the All-22 I'll take extra note of Urban and bring back what I saw. 

Yeah I would really like to see what Urban brings because honestly I just have never seen him jump off the page. I remember the RSR article that was like "When Urban is on the field, the defense does this and this and this" but never anything about Urban individually, you know? It was basically correlation == causation.

So yeah, anything you can bring back in gifs or videos would be much appreciated.

Marty shouldn't be let off the hook. He called the Jackson incompletion to Snead trickery on 3rd & 1 from our own 10. An obvious QB sneak scenario, just like the Panthers did themselves when they were backed up...at the start of their 99 yard drive. However, the Refs have been playing too big a hand in our games. We were only backed up that far because we didn't get to capitalize on the glaring grounding penalty that wasn't called on them. Then sensing the importance of keeping the ball and not punting from our own end zone, giving them great field position, we faked the punt and converted the 4th down. We got called for an illegal shift though, one wasn't obvious to anyone, and were forced to punt as a result. Now once again, we aren't given an explanation for a questionable call.

Archived