Lions cut DT Sylvester Williams

TheKillerNacho

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8432/sylvester-williams

This was done to make room for Damon "Snacks" Harrison. Still somewhat surprising though since he has played in 6 games this season, starting four of them. This means the only other DTs on the roster is Ricky Jean-Francois and A'Shawn Robinson, who has been in Patricia's doghouse this season (Although they have a versatile lineman in rookie Da'Shawn Hand who can also play DT).

Williams was originally a 1st-round draft choice of the Broncos.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8432/sylvester-williams

This was done to make room for Damon "Snacks" Harrison. Still somewhat surprising though since he has played in 6 games this season, starting four of them. This means the only other DTs on the roster is Ricky Jean-Francois and A'Shawn Robinson, who has been in Patricia's doghouse this season.

Williams was originally a 1st-round draft choice of the Broncos.

This was the beginning of Elway's Day 1 pick downfall.  Going need over BPA.   Sly was literally JAG in DEN, he was just masked by our incredible D everywhere around him - Malik Jackson and a young/healthy Derek Wolfe, and Brandon Marshall (young/healthy, not this version) / Danny Trevathan on the inside, and Von/Ware on the EDGE's.  Not hard to look good with all that talent around him.  

The Lions Run D just got a MASSIVE run upgrade with Snacks in there.  

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

Why is A’Shawn in the doghouse?

I know he was benched as a starter for Jean-Francois, but I don't know the details surrounding it. A'Shawn and Sylvester Williams opened the offseason as projected starters from my understanding but A'Shawn lost it to Jean-Francois by the time the first depth chart was released and never got it back.

7 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

This means the only other DTs on the roster is Ricky Jean-Francois and A'Shawn Robinson, who has been in Patricia's doghouse this season.

D'Shawn Hand? Is he an DE or DT? I know he was a DT at 'bama.

A'Shawn has been better the last couple of games and has been in the rotation more.

Hand is playing inside more than outside, PFF has him ranked in the top 10 interior linemen so far this season.

Francois has been his journeyman self though he did just have two sacks against the Dolphins.

Seems to me like picking up Harrison might pave the way for more use of 3-4 looks. It's hard to play 3 down linemen when you don't have a reliable run stuffer in the middle. Now they do.

11 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Hand is playing inside more than outside, PFF has him ranked in the top 10 interior linemen so far this season.

Francois has been his journeyman self though he did just have two sacks against the Dolphins.

Seems to me like picking up Harrison might pave the way for more use of 3-4 looks. It's hard to play 3 down linemen when you don't have a reliable run stuffer in the middle. Now they do.

Snacks and the 0-tech fit like a glove.  He's a great run stuff no matter if you put him at NT or 4-3 DT, but either way, DET can use him in the middle and feel good.  Like I said b4, he's a MASSIVE upgrade over Sly Williams.   And given DT/NT is the easiest position to learn when you are a run stuffer, I'd expect an immediate impact this week vs. SEA, given Snacks is used to playing a full game.  Fantastic trade/cut result here for DET.   Between this and playing Kerryon Johnson more, the DET FO/coaching staff are starting to show they have a clue, which is a refreshing change from the the past (and b4 DET fans take umbrage, I'm saying that with a DEN coaching staff that doesn't have a clue, so not throwing stones in a glass house lol).

Patricia is running more 3-4 looks and this suits the roster.

DE- Ziggy Ansah/Romeo Okwara/Kerry Hyder

NT- Damon Harrison/A'Shawn Robinson

DE- Da'Shawn Hand/Ricky Jean Francois

OLB- Eli Harold/Romeo Okwara

ILB- Christian Jones/Jalen Reeves-Maybin

ILB- Jarrad Davis/Miles Killebrew

OLB- Devon Kennard

CB- Darius Slay/Teez Tabor/Jamal Agnew

SS- Quandre Diggs/Tavon Wilson

FS- Glover Quin/Tracey Walker III

CB- Nevin Lawson/Deshawn Shead

Archived