NFL fires down judge Hugo Cruz

August4th

Past due. An official missed another obvious false start last week vs. the Browns in the very last drive, but the Browns ended up sacking Winston.

Should have fired this guy the week before too. It arguably cost them the game:

Bullsack.jpg

Also, the female referee who blew the Duke Johnson fumble/possession last year should have been terminated immediately following the game as well.

You shouldn't ever be fired for a blown call that is ridiculous. Bad calls happen in every sport at every level in every single game and ever single people who officiates any sport has blown calls. This clearly had to have be a clear case of the straw that broke the camels back. You don't lose your job for missing a false start. I am sure there was a history of bad calls that led to the firing.

7 minutes ago, August4th said:

This is kind of mis-leading.

This tweet is insinuating that he was fired for missing this one call when in fact he was already on his way out the door heading into this season. The Chargers/Browns game was just the last straw.

http://www.footballzebras.com/2018/10/nfl-fires-down-judge-hugo-cruz/

One of the sources confirmed that Cruz was not “maintaining a very high level of performance over a sustained period,” while another told Football Zebras in March that Cruz’s future with the league was already in jeopardy. This is partially borne out by his lack of postseason assignments for the two seasons he would have qualified for, not counting assignment as an alternate last season. Another oddity that our sources could not find a reason for was that Cruz was assigned to a different crew for 3 of the 6 regular season games he has worked this year. He was assigned to Brad Allen’s crew in Week 6 when a crucial missed false start call should have nullified a Chargers touchdown (or, more accurately, the play would have been shut down long before that).

I know I am just sick and tired of most obvious terrible calls coming against the Browns every single week and I am even more fed up with the joke apologize the NFL dishes out every week. We suck. It is hard enough for us to win/compete in football games right now we should have to play 11 v 18 every single snap.

Just now, TheeRealDeal said:

I know I am just sick and tired of most obvious terrible calls coming against the Browns every single week and I am even more fed up with the joke apologize the NFL dishes out every week. We suck. It is hard enough for us to win/compete in football games right now we should have to play 11 v 18 every single snap.

Well to be fair, according the link I posted above the NFL has tried to fire officials before but the NFLRA would step in and save their jobs.

I'm not trying to defend the NFL, mind you, because the refs do get out of control-- but we should also recognize that it's not completely on them either.

As surprising as a midseason firing is, any firing for that matter is a rare occurrence. Although there are cases of officials seemingly coerced into retirement, mostly to manage turnover, there have been very few outright terminations. In the last 10 years, one official was dismissed for an undisclosed off-field issue, and another was dismissed due to performance following a crucial error in the season finale. That’s it. Notably, the NFL attempted to terminate 8 officials due to performance issues in 2003; the NFLRA was able to successfully get most of them rehired or assigned to the replay booth.

28 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Past due. An official missed another obvious false start last week vs. the Browns in the very last drive, but the Browns ended up sacking Winston.

Should have fired this guy the week before too. It arguably cost them the game:

Bullsack.jpg

Also, the female referee who blew the Duke Johnson fumble/possession last year should have been terminated immediately following the game as well.

God Jay is still so freaking trash.

14 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

MLB Umpires are basically untouchable because of their union. It's why guys like Jim West and Angel Hernandez are still employed.

Country Joe West is the WORST.

Wait, actually it's Angel by far:

angel-hernandez.gif

angel_final.png

32 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I'm not trying to defend the NFL, mind you, because the refs do get out of control-- but we should also recognize that it's not completely on them either.

A few things:

- So you basically endorse incompetence, its ok to slack on your job, sweet

- Who else is it on? Be specific

- I'm sure this isn't the first time he's been warned, I hope this becomes a trend, officiating has become as big as the actual game and it shouldn't be.

- Other than being fired, they need to be graded and fined accordingly, this will definitely affect change

- Coaches, players, GMs and Owners are held to a high standard, why aren't the officials held to the same standard?

Good. Hope this starts a trend; firing incompetent officials is the best way to motivate these guys to do their jobs more effectively. No one is expecting perfection, but stuff like this should not be tolerated.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Country Joe West is the WORST.

Wait, actually it's Angel by far:

angel-hernandez.gif

angel_final.png

tbh it's either one of CB Bucknor, Angel Hernandez, or Joe West. Any of those answers is acceptable. Any other is not.

Joe West is the president of the MLB umpires association (they don't call themselves that it's something stupider), which is why that particular union's number 1 priority is to make it's umpires as unfireable as humanly possible. 

Archived