NFL fires down judge Hugo Cruz

August4th

Just now, Elky said:

Welcome to the real world, NFL refs. Most of us have the same issue yet we stay productive at work.

Oh yeah? You can get fired anytime without any corrective action before termination?  I know of no HR department that would back up a termination like that.

54 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Watch again...at 0.08 Johnson stands up with the ball held up in his right hand, looking for an official to hand it to. That's when the official comes over, doesn't see him and awards a fumble to the 'skins, standing over a pile of people that doesn't have a football in it.

So then the better question is what's going on with replay? Bc again all turnovers are automatically reviewed.  What the hell is everybody fighting for at the bottom of the pile? Somebody's shoe?

29 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Oh yeah? You can get fired anytime without any corrective action before termination?  I know of no HR department that would back up a termination like that.

Um yeah you can.  It's called "at will" employment.  What that means is that the employee/Eric relationship exists at will, meaning either side can terminate the relationship at anytime.  Why HR wants a paper trail is to avoid paying unemployment.  Has nothing to do with necessity.  Also depending on the circumstances you can fire somebody without corrective action if the offense is great enough.  For example a call center employee hanging up on callers.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Most of the US has at-will employment laws.

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

It's possible he has had multiple corrective actions/warnings. They do get evaluations, the refs are ranked by tiers from what I read, ensuring the better ones get the post season games. I think the media just did what they always did...made a story out of it by stating he got fired for his missed call during the Browns / Chargers game. In reality, the dude could have been terrible at his job outside of his on the field mistakes (showing up late, insubordinate, etc) and we have no idea unless it gets released to the public if they do try to take the NFL to court. 

6 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Happens all the time. Not uncommon at all. Depends on your job I guess.

I only skimmed the first 2 pages....but seriously has nobody brought attention to the gambling aspect of this public firing?

Obviously no concrete proof to this, just a theory, but I think it's just that the NFL (err Goodell) is tightening down on missed/blatantly blown calls now because of the legalization of gambling. Plus they don't want to take the chance of a Donaghy scandal, which would be something that the public would start looking for if we continue to see these egregious reffing errors that significantly impact the outcome of games. 

.....Maybe now we're going to see refs be on a much tighter leash because of those reasons

After all, not only is this the first real public firing of an NFL ref, but we also for the first time have seen 4 new refs join the league this season (one of whom is little Hochuli) which is the most ever. 

So yeah, TLDR; I think this 100% is gambling related

14 hours ago, Dome said:

Happens all the time. Not uncommon at all. Depends on your job I guess.

Hes also represented by a union, so the fact the termination has been made official means the union was notified, had a chance to contest it and that process was completed as well.  Most likely this was something everybody involved knew was coming.

Archived