Leisher's 2019 Mock draft 10-25-18

jleisher

Let the hating begin.  I used Fanspeak.com to simulate this draft.  I used waltersfootball and draftblaster for player rankings and scouting reports.  (#rd) means the rounds walters has them graded as going.  Why the trade downs and no trade ups?  The roster needs depth in many positions, IMO.

1. #22.  Montez Sweat  Edge  Miss St.  6'6" 241. (1-2rd) Dynamic pass rushers, sideline to sideline player.  (Why:  Edge and pass rush #1 need.  Clay's (aka Steve's) replacement.)

1. #30.  Trade down to Texans, offer 2#15 and 2#21.  Selection:  (Ben Bredeson G  Michigan)

2. #15.  Trade down to New England, offer 2#20 and 2#29.  Selection: (Lil Jordan Humphry WR  Texas)

2. #20.  Zach Allen  DE/Edge  Boston College  6'4" 284. (1rd)  Tough against the run, steady pressure as pass rusher. 4.5 sacks, 3 passes batted, 1 FF, 11 TFL.  (Why:  1st rd talent in 2nd, pass rush #1 need.)

2. #21.  Jeffery Simmons  DL  Miss St.  6'4" 301. (Top 25)  Extremely talented player with tons of upside.  Off the field baggage makes him drop, complete investigation before making this selection.  26 Tackles, 8.5 TFL, 2 passes batted.  (Why:  Top 25 talent and Daniels isn't getting any younger.)  I know character is a major concern, but if all checks out, what a steal for Gute.

2. #22.  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson  CB/S  Florida.  6'0" 207. (2-3rd)  Converted CB that shows flashes of elite Safety.  41 Tackles, 6 TFL, 2 Sacks.  (Why:  HaHa is solid, but FA, depth behind him seems to be weak.  Many seem to think S is second top need, so here you go.)

2. #29.  Trade down Colts, offer 3#7 and 5#8.  Selection:(Gerad Willis DL  Miami)

3.  #7.  Cody Ford  G  Oklahoma.   6"5" 335.  (1-2rd)  Outstanding athlete moves from RT to RG.  (Why: 1-2rd talent in rd #3. Protecting #12 is important, offers up grade in OL depth.  Could even start at RG.)

3. #21.  Trade down Titans, offer 4#11, 5#11, 7#11 and future 4th rd pick.  Selection:(Joe Gaziano Edge Northwestern.)

4. #11.  Cameron Smith  ILB  USC.  6'2" 253.  (2-3rd)  Team Leader, tackling machine.  Take excellent angles and quickly diagnose plays.  Good run defender.  (Why:  Ryan injury and pending FA, some are saying Martinez's play is down.  Ryan's replacement, give them Martinez, Burks and Smith.  Up grade IMO.)

4. #22.  Marvell Tell III  S  USC.  6'3" 190.  (2-4rd)  Tall Safety that can cover bigger WR and TE.  (Why: Depth)

5.  #8.  Inman Marshall  CB  USC.  6'0" 202.  (2-4rd)  (Why:  CB depth, House will not be back next year IMO.)

5. #11.  Yodny Cajuste  T  WVU.  6"5" 321.  (2-4rd)  LT talent with elite footwork and balance in passing game.  Better at pass protection then run blocking.  Moves to Right side.  (Why:  Again, #12.  Also need up grade in OL, moves to RT as Bulaga's back up or replacement.  Some don't have confidence in Spriggs.)

5.#22.  Collin Johnson  WR  Texas.  6'5" 220.  (1-3rd)  Big WR to add to the 3 2018 draft class.  (Why:  Offers big target for #12.  Depth, like ESB, talent that drops for whatever reason.)

6. #15.  Dontavius Russell  DL  Auburn.  6'3" 310  (4-6rd)  Depth

6. #22.  LJ. Scott  RB  Michigan St.  6'0" 225  (2-3rd)  (Why:  3rd talent in 6th rd, Montgomery is FA.  Depth.)

7. #11.  Drew Sample  TE  Washington  6'5" 251  (7-FA)  Depth, PT player.  IMO, Graham, Kendricks, Lewis and Tonyan will all be back next year, if either Kendricks or Lewis aren't you have Tonyan to step up and in slides Sample or Outside FA.

7. #22.  Hunter Renfow  WR  Clemson  5'10" 180.  (4-6rd)  (Why:  Cobb's return to some is iffy, Renfow offers that slot receiver talent.  Depth.)

The edge guys we draft need to be big guys capable of playing through a Tight End in run defense. Sweat is too small for this defense. 

Allen is a decent player at the college level, but are you expecting Cameron Heyward/Anthony Zettel/Courtney Upshaw in the pros?

Jeffrey Simmons was beating a woman as she was laying on the ground. Pass

Gardner-Johnson needs to prove he can tackle before anybody starts trying to take him in the second round.

Ford is still a bit early to be taking a Guard.

You have 14 draft picks here. You're trading in the wrong direction. 

1 hour ago, 66PinG said:

Not hating, but...

If the Packers somehow end up with 7 picks in the first two rounds of the draft I will be in shock.

i am not sure if that has ever happened for any team in the history of the draft... 

This is why taking fanspeak mock drafts at face value is impossible. I actually hate reading mocks from there because it's completely unrealistic. 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, Nick_gb said:

This is why taking fanspeak mock drafts at face value is impossible. I actually hate reading mocks from there because it's completely unrealistic. 

You might be right, but I like it because it gives me some type of challenge on making my picks.  Realistic or not, it allows other teams to pick the players that I might really want, so that part is more realistic then just picking whoever I want and leave it at that.  Not sure if I am explaining this right or not, my wife is talking to me as I type.

23 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You mean you're not trading both of your 2nd round picks to move up 5 spots in the 2nd round!!?!?

If it's a player your team really wants and feel that they are a play maker, yeah, teams might.  Pick values are great, gives you some type of guide when trading, but, it's not always equal in value, if you want a player bad enough.  Some teams are willing to pay more for someone they want, then to settle for someone they feel is second or third best.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, 66PinG said:

Not hating, but...

If the Packers somehow end up with 7 picks in the first two rounds of the draft I will be in shock.

i am not sure if that has ever happened for any team in the history of the draft... 

Valid point, that is just how the mock went and I took advantage of it to fill holes.

On 10/26/2018 at 7:51 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

The edge guys we draft need to be big guys capable of playing through a Tight End in run defense. Sweat is too small for this defense

Allen is a decent player at the college level, but are you expecting Cameron Heyward/Anthony Zettel/Courtney Upshaw in the pros?

Jeffrey Simmons was beating a woman as she was laying on the ground. Pass

Gardner-Johnson needs to prove he can tackle before anybody starts trying to take him in the second round.

Ford is still a bit early to be taking a Guard.

You have 14 draft picks here. You're trading in the wrong direction. 

Not saying you're wrong but I'm having a hard time with this. Can you name some current NFL guys that fit the mold you speak of ? 

Granted, I've been dreaming about a 6'-5"+ guy for years, so I am biased, but maybe Nick Perry has turned me off to that type of guy too. Yea they have a better chance of setting the edge, but if all you have is a power move, as most of that type has, it gets negated quite easily

Archived