Jets @ Bears Game Day Thread

WindyCity

Good win today. Never really looked in doubt after the first TD to Cohen.

Sucks to see Long get rolled up like that but why is everyone assuming the worst already without fully knowing what exact injury he sustained?

I know Long's injury history isn't good but let's just wait and see what it is first and not jump the gun...ok?

Just look at last week's game as an example. Patriots RB Sony Michel looked like he sustained a serious knee injury that would knock him out for the rest of the year yet he was back at practice this week. 

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

If they are trading for a 2019 free agent to a tanking team, such as Iupati from Arizona, it would be pretty cheap.

Not a bad idea. With them having so much cap space they will be making some bigger deals most likely, so the chance of them getting compensatory picks from him walking in FA is unlikely.

9 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Wasn't Shaheen supposed to be back around now? Did I miss something? 

Think Pace will need to find another guard in a hurry? 

Even with Shaheen back it would nice to have another viable option at TE given how much we use Burton as a flex. Plus, adding a player like Braunecker who has a different skill-set than Shaheen does (both have their strengths and weaknesses) would be similar to what we have now with Burton and Sims ---but with much more upside. Plus, having a player like who Burton, who can play that dime slot, could be a very good  option 

I don't think they need to find another guard, no. I don't think it's that's serious to make any drastic change--although the Kush injury hurts us a bit right now.

I gotta believe Pace, Nagy and Hiestand were all smart enough to know the likelihood of Long staying healthy for an entire season was minimal at best at this point and felt comfortable enough with the made changes they made in the off-season to compensate for that (i.e drafting Daniels as well as keeping Sowell and Coward in the pocket, as @Sugashane alluded too). 

Long's leadership is going to be missed, but IMO, it's one of those cases where you have to trust the process from those who know more about the situation than we do and I'm totally riding with that right now. And again, you can't fix everything in one off-season. I imagine the scouts are looking hard at mid-round O-lineman as we speak in order to add more stability, availability and flexibility.    

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Good win today. Never really looked in doubt after the first TD to Cohen.

Sucks to see Long get rolled up like that but why is everyone assuming the worst already without fully knowing what exact injury he sustained?

I know Long's injury history isn't good but let's just wait and see what it is first and not jump the gun...ok?

Just look at last week's game as an example. Patriots RB Sony Michel looked like he sustained a serious knee injury that would knock him out for the rest of the year yet he was back at practice this week. 

You could be right and I get your point, but these two injuries didn't seem the same to me. When Long went down, you could clearly see the pain in him at the time and the overall body language of other players reactions.

Quick watch in condensed. Didnt see that Long was hurt and probably missed some other stuff.

I think it was a good win.   First game where both defense and offense played fairly well in same game.  Running game looked best it has all year. Bears O aside from a few bad stretches controlled the game along with defense. 

Roquan Smith played well.  Goldman played well, finally.  Fangio ran some stunts, finally.  Bears need that. Maybe weather was too bad for golf and he game planned for first time in three weeks.  

White had a big play called back by a penalty. Game would have never been in doubt without Jackson penalty.  That was stupid.

You guys see that Darnold was faster than Floyd in a straight race? That was surprising. Floyd was hustling in this game at least. 

Eliminate the mistakes.  Bears have been right there in every game.  Ahead of schedule IMO. 

With a night to digest:

Trubisky was fine in the second half but missed too many guys in the first 30 minutes. Nagy did him no favors; that wind yesterday was as miserable as I can recall in that stadium.

Speaking of miserable, Howard (albeit little chance) was slow, choppy and indecisive in the first half. He turned it on the second half, too.

Miller is going to be reallllllly good.

Cohen may have been Pace’s best draft pick.

Jackson has to be smarter, but I suppose it was bittersweet to see, especially for a good who looked like he would literally rather do anything besides tackle since the bye.

Hicks was really good. Nichols continues to impress the hell out of me. Goldman had his best game.

Yesterday was the first time I thought “this is the guy they took 8th” when watching Smith. His TFL late in the 4th quarter was some Georgia/Oklahoma Rose Bowl sideline to sideline ****. Maybe the thinking phase is over.

Parkey sucks.

I am going to do a more extensive write up, but I felt Mitch played well.

The 2nd quarter got away from him, and I do think the conditions had something to do with it, but I felt he made some really nice throws and again broke the defenses back with his running and converting 1st downs on the ground.

Offense

-Taylor Gabriel has been such an exceptional signing. Not only does he had the deep speed that Romo pointed out demands attention, but he runs really good underneath routes and he is an effort blocker. Do you know how many WRs on the Cohen screen pass give less effort and make Cohen beat/out run their guy? Instead the 5'8" Gabriel rag dolls the DB he is blocking and Cohen goes untouched for 70.

-Kevin White continues to show you a little something. He should have had 2 catches for 28 yards and one was a big 3rd down into scoring position that Long wiped out. His blocking again was very good and he continues to provide value. I have been hard on Kevin White, but the dude just keeps working and while he will never be the 7th pick in the draft I think the fact that after what he has been through he is still providing some value is incredible.

-Finally, it looks like Miller and Mitch are getting on the same page. Mitch missed him a couple of times early and then Miller had a bad drop and I was like "Oh ****, here we go" and they managed to find each other on a couple of really nice adjustments and creates some yardage and a gorgeous TD.

-I noticed more of Trey Burton's blocking than anything.

-Dion Sims, in between getting dominated, had a really nice block on Howard's long 4th quarter run. He was also wide open in the middle of the field on the pocket climb throw to Miller, I am glad to see Mitch made the right decision and checked it down to Miller instead of throwing the ball anywhere near Sims.

-You know who is having himself a solid season? Bobbie Massie. He has been solid in the pass game, not giving up the quick pressure he was good for a couple of times a game, and he continues to be physical in the run game. This might be the biggest impact of Hiestand, a more consistent Massie.

-James Daniels had some rough moments and when I re-watch the game I am going to pay special attention to him. One of the plays of the day may have been on the long screen when he realizes that he is right beside Cohen and he ducks so the screen pass does not hit him. There were some rough pass blocking reps. The Bears are going to need Daniels now a lot with Long injured.

-I think this was Chuck Leno's best game of the season. He has some beautiful pulls in the run game and was getting to the 2nd level nicely.

-The run blocking is still and issue. The Bears seem to be really struggling with the power run scheme and everything just getting clogged up inside. 

-Jordan Howard getting going late in the game was awesome. The difference? Howard was getting through the line clean. Howard is not a jump cutter or a burst guy, he needs to get moving downfield where he is a load to bring down. If he gets through the line and builds up some steam it is almost a guaranteed 6-8 yards, but he is not going to get out of the backfield on his own. He needs the line to get him to the LB level.

-Tarik Cohen is a star. You have to live with some runs where he refuses to come up field, but he is a star. The guy can simply score whenever he touches the ball and defenses do not know what to do with him.

-I thought Nagy again made great 2nd half adjustments, but the 1st half was a little off. I do not think that the play calling reflected the changing conditions as it started to rain and added to the wind. Soldier field is something he is going to have to get use to as well. A couple things I loved, the screen pass he mentioned was something they scouted and had loaded and I love how they released Cohen through the line, which is a risk, but totally screwed the Jets LBs who did not peel off. The use of Howard to close the game was nice to see. Howard is a momentum runner, he needs carries close together to get the engine running and he got them and he produced. It also allows the OL to get into a rhythm in their run blocking.

-I thought Mitch was solid. This to me is the baseline for a solid/acceptable game. The 2nd quarter got away from him a little and looked worse because of a couple of drops and a penalty bringing back a 22 yard completion in scoring position. I wanted more consistency from Mitch and I wanted him to cut out the boneheaded plays, specifically in the redzone. I thought he was more consistent and outside of a bad couple series was sharp in the game. He also made much better decisions with the ball and did not take the risks that we have seen. I liked how he stayed in the pocket on a couple of plays and climbed and found Miller, Burton, and White. Again, he broke the back of the defense running the ball and the Jets started spying him in the 2nd half.

Archived