Preseason GDT: Falcons vs. Steelers

CWood21

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No GDT yet, you guys are slacking.

So whose watching the game @scar988, @coors, @Jgoldiscool, @BladeKor, @devils1854, @DrawABlank and @GSUeagles14?

What position battles are you keeping an eye on?  What are your expectations from your rookies?  Does Matt Ryan get much burn in this game?

RG is the big one. No other position battles are really for starting roles. Rookies should play the vast majority and I think Ryan gets a quarter at most.

As always, it will be interesting to see who gets snaps on the primary ST units to see who the coaches are assessing closely for roster spots.

I also want to see the DL up against a solid OL.

And the battle for swing tackle I guess, although I still hope we add a vet there.

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No GDT yet, you guys are slacking.

So whose watching the game @scar988, @coors, @Jgoldiscool, @BladeKor, @devils1854, @DrawABlank and @GSUeagles14?

What position battles are you keeping an eye on?  What are your expectations from your rookies?  Does Matt Ryan get much burn in this game?

Come back to me in September. Got better things to do than watch preseason football.

23 hours ago, DrawABlank said:

As always, it will be interesting to see who gets snaps on the primary ST units to see who the coaches are assessing closely for roster spots.

I also want to see the DL up against a solid OL.

And the battle for swing tackle I guess, although I still hope we add a vet there.

We added a vet; Alexis Pasztor. Dude was pretty legit for the Browns and I'm happy we snagged him in time because I'm fairly sure the Seahawks would have liked him now that Fant is out with an ACL tear.

I also want to pay some attention to the FB this game. I think losing Dimarco might be a bigger blow then many of us expected and I wasn't that impressed with our running game against the Phins.

2 hours ago, DutchFalcon said:

We added a vet; Alexis Pasztor. Dude was pretty legit for the Browns and I'm happy we snagged him in time because I'm fairly sure the Seahawks would have liked him now that Fant is out with an ACL tear.

I also want to pay some attention to the FB this game. I think losing Dimarco might be a bigger blow then many of us expected and I wasn't that impressed with our running game against the Phins.

Yeah, I saw. I'm glad - the rest look fine as a 4th tackle or a PS player, but none of them look ready at this stage to keep Matt upright in a crucial game. Austin Pasztor isn't a world beater but he has starting experience and knows Mack from Cleveland IIRC.

Run looks in pre-season are always vanilla; that and as we rely more on misdirection and the quality of our backs to make an impact, then when it's a basic scheme and Ward / Hill it just isn't going to go well. We averaged 3.7 YPC last pre-season and Coleman was at 3.3 YPC; we're not going to know until Sark starts calling plays for real whether we can make it work.

22 hours ago, DrawABlank said:

Run looks in pre-season are always vanilla; that and as we rely more on misdirection and the quality of our backs to make an impact, then when it's a basic scheme and Ward / Hill it just isn't going to go well. We averaged 3.7 YPC last pre-season and Coleman was at 3.3 YPC; we're not going to know until Sark starts calling plays for real whether we can make it work.

I know all about how vanilla the pre-season calls can be. I'd still like to see Coleman/Renew block someone off his socks. DiMarco was pretty great for us last year. I'm really worried letting him walk will hurt during the year. Remember the running game with Turner took a deep down after Ovie Mughelli left.

32 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

I know all about how vanilla the pre-season calls can be. I'd still like to see Coleman/Renew block someone off his socks. DiMarco was pretty great for us last year. I'm really worried letting him walk will hurt during the year. Remember the running game with Turner took a deep down after Ovie Mughelli left.

Part of that though, imo, was due to the fact that they ran Turner into the ground. Combine that with how heavy he played at and how many touches he got and it's easy to see why he wore down so fast. 

2 minutes ago, Jgoldiscool said:

Part of that though, imo, was due to the fact that they ran Turner into the ground. Combine that with how heavy he played at and how many touches he got and it's easy to see why he wore down so fast. 

Absolutely agreed. You really could tell he hit a wall at some point and with what I think were like 350+ touches a season it isn't a big suprise he got worn down fast. Still I think losing his pro bowl FB was a factor as well.

Archived