Should Dave Caldwell be fired?

pwny

I posed this question 11 months ago almost to the day. At that time, we didn't get a lot of opinions on the topic, but the consensus around the forum seemed to be that Dave Caldwell wasn't perfect, but he was doing a good job.

Effectively, the forum believed that Caldwell deserved to be the second GM in NFL history to fail the QB test and keep his job; and the first to do so with no Super Bowl wins and (at the time) not even a playoff appearance to his credit.

Fast forward 11 months and I want to see if or how opinions have changed. 

Since the time of that poll, a lot has happened:

• The Jaguars made the playoffs for the first time in a decade and came within a play or two of going to their first Super Bowl
  • Blake Bortles was extended
  • A big paycheck was given to another OL who has underperformed
  • Another set of unproductive year one first and second round picks were drafted
  • Injuries to a few key players, lack of depth, and regression on the defensive side and in the passing game have left the Jaguars in a tailspin, losing three games in a row in convincing fashion

So I posit the question again this year - should Dave Caldwell be given another year to build a contender?

Because I can't sleep...

• hired arguably the worst head coach in NFL history
  • Draft class
    • Luke Joeckel
    • Johnathan Cyprien
    • Dwayne Gratz
    • Ace Sanders
    • Denard Robinson
    • Josh Evans
    • Jeremy Harris
    • Demetrius McCray
  • Free Agents
    • Geno Hayes
    • Roy Miller
    • Justin Forsett
    • Alan Ball
    • Sen'Derrick Marks
    • Will Blackmon
    • Winston Guy

• Draft class
    • Blake Bortles
    • Marqise Lee
    • Allen Robinson
    • Brandon Linder
    • Aaron Colvin
    • Telvin Smith
    • Chris Smith
    • Luke Bowanko
    • Storm Johnson
    • Allen Hurns
  • Free Agents
    • Red Bryant
    • Zane Beadles
    • Dekoda Watson
    • Chris Clemons
    • Ziggy Hood

• Draft class
    • Dante Fowler
    • T.J. Yeldon
    • A.J. Cann
    • James Sample
    • Rashad Greene
    • Michael Bennett
    • Neal Sterling
    • Ben Koyack
  • Free Agents
    • Sergio Brown
    • Davon House
    • Jared Odrick
    • Jermey Parnell
    • Dan Skuta
    • Julius Thomas
    • Stefen Wisniewski

• Draft class
    • Jalen Ramsey
    • Myles Jack
    • Yannick Ngakoue
    • Sheldon Day
    • Tyrone Holmes
    • Brandon Allen
    • Jonathan Woodyard
  • Free Agents
    • Tashaun Gipson
    • Chris Ivory
    • Malik Jackson
    • Brad Nortman
    • Prince Amukamara
    • Kelvin Beachum
    • Chad Henne

• Draft Class
    • Leonard Fournette
    • Cam Robinson
    • Dawuane Smoot
    • Dede Westbrook
    • Blair Brown
    • Jalen Myrick
    • Marquez Williams
    • Keelan Cole
  • Free Agents
    • A.J. Bouye
    • Calais Campbell
    • Stefan Charles
    • Barry Church
    • Audie Cole
    • Lerentee McCray
    • Earl Watford

I've marked in green all the players who had more than one year of quality production for us.

In red are all the players who were abject failures based on expectations.

All those early draft picks, and he has 8 good picks (9 if you count AJ Cann, who hasn't been that good), and he's spent hundreds of millions on Free Agents to get 7 players who have added value for more than a year.

8 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like 2016 will probably be enough to give him another year

It shouldn’t.

I mean it was a good class, don’t get me wrong.

But I’m fairly certain a trained monkey would have taken Ramsey at 5. There was legitimately no player who wasn’t taken already who you could argue there over Ramsey. Jack was the only player who you could argue at all, and the [false] report that leaked on Draft Day made that a stupid idea.

Once the report was proven fraudulent the next day, Jack was by far the best prospect on the board for day two (unless your doctors told you Jaylon Smith was a safer bet). And good for him being the GM that made the trade to get him because 31 others didn’t, but I’m not going to give him a medal for it. 

The Ngakoue pick was a fantastic one, but it’s really the only impressive pick he made in that draft class.

Anyone on this forum would have made those same moves for Ramsey and Jack. I’m not going to give a guy more time because he did what 90% of the bafoons on this forum would have done. 

1 hour ago, Jaguarfan said:

Who are the big up and coming GMs to replace Caldwell? Anybody have ties to Coughlin?

Eliot Wolf, Nick Caserio are two of the bigger names. Marc Ross and Kevin Abrams on the Giants have ties to Coughlin. I assume Gettleman gets another year with the Giants, but he’s an option with ties to Coughlin if he gets the axe.

Eric DeCosta would probably be a fantastic get if you can convince him to leave the Ravens. But like Wolf in Green Bay, DeCosta is supposed to be the future Ravens GM when Ozzie retires. If you can get John Dorsey to play nice under Coughlin, he’s proven to be really good.

Scot McCloughan is arguably the best talent evaluator in the NFL, but his alcoholism has ruined his career. Maybe as an underling to Coughlin, he might be able to get it together.

Just now, VLoo said:

He's not wrong.

Don't think it'll happen though. Roster is seen to have too much talent outside of QB to let him go imo.

I'd like to, but that means you fire the coaching staff and let him have his own guy too and I think with how last season went Marrone will have much more time than that.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Don't think it'll happen though. Roster is seen to have too much talent outside of QB to let him go imo.

Does it though? I mean yeah, at the top of there roster, we have a lot of really good players, but our depth might be as bad as bottom 2 in the league. This team is set up to fail any time we don't have an all time injury luck season. 

24 minutes ago, pwny said:

Does it though? I mean yeah, at the top of there roster, we have a lot of really good players, but our depth might be as bad as bottom 2 in the league. This team is set up to fail any time we don't have an all time injury luck season. 

I agree, but I bet that is how it'll be viewed.

I mean, the thing is...we've got Tom a the top of the totem pole, no matter what.  What we really need, is a guy who can work with Tom to draft...less disastrously than Caldwell.  And honestly, i'm not sure that exists either.  Tom is old as ****.  The game has passed him by too.

Teams that are getting ahead now, are helmed by bold GMs who aren't afraid to make big waves and go against the grain.  Caldwell sucks and is also an inadequate puppet for Tommy Coughlin.  But anyone who takes this job now...is going to have that shadow of Coughlin looming over them.  It's makes an already undesirable job, even less desirable.  

These are the kind of things that make this team bad. On top of the lack of depth, this team doesn’t hit on their picks for difference makers on the offense either.

Archived