Hypothetical

Kiwibrown

3 elite corners or 3 elite pass rushers   

36 members have voted

1. 1. Pass rushers vs corners

12 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

would you rather have:

3 lockdown corners that are average in run support

3 elite pass rushers that are average in run defense. 

Al Davis who designed the AFL zone passing of the 60s, prefered DBs over DL.

His co designer, Chuck Noll prefered DL.

On 27.10.2018 at 8:40 AM, Kiwibrown said:

would you rather have:

Give me 3 scrubs at corner and Watt, Bosa, Mack off the edge and we have the #1 defense in football.

• 1 month later...
On 2018-10-27 at 2:40 AM, Kiwibrown said:

would you rather have:

3 is the magic number here because with 3 pass rushers, it becomes a problem to defend the front and the QB might not finish the game as the OL could only double on one defender the rest are one on one . If the QB gets rattled and a few hits, they will be out of their game and might not get back onto their game. If you go back in time, and your Trio was Taylor, Smith and White, you could imagine what a nightmare that would be for the QB

3 "lock down corners" ? Thats tempting, because if you have Prime, Revis and Rod Woodson, I would put my feet up on the desk and watch WR's try to move the chains.  This is where the perfect pass is required and in good conditions, some QB's might be able to get some .

The other part to this is do the opposing teams have a great OL for the running game and will the HC actually run the ball until they are stopped?  We don't see much of that anymore, thought I would ask.

Now the other part that you never mentioned was the salary cap. If that is considered, right now the DL/edge get paid more by a bit, so that is something to consider . $75M per vs $45M per is about what it would be.  The rules in this example would favour the DL trio , since PI is so touchy today is makes the value of the CB less when compared to the DL in this example. 

2010 season jets  during the playoffs went into foxboro and beat the pats with 2 elite CB's and no pass rush. It can work, history has shown.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Unless your main CB is Darrelle Revis in his prime and your team compensates for no pass rush by blitzing an insane amount, it's ALWAYS better to have elite pass rushers.

This. I'm legitimately struggle to think of any great defense outside of those couple of years with the Jets that had elite corners and a mediocre pass rush.

Archived