2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

Found a nice article on Denzel Ward. The only guy who gave him trouble was AB. In the first game, AB got him 1 time on a perfect play by him and Ben. However, he struggled in the 2nd game. Other than that he was awesome. With time, he will get better at defending deep complex routes.

https://clutchpoints.com/3-improvements-browns-cb-denzel-ward-must-make-to-take-the-next-step/

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Found a nice article on Denzel Ward. The only guy who gave him trouble was AB. In the first game, AB got him 1 time on a perfect play by him and Ben. However, he struggled in the 2nd game. Other than that he was awesome. With time, he will get better at defending deep complex routes.

https://clutchpoints.com/3-improvements-browns-cb-denzel-ward-must-make-to-take-the-next-step/

Michael Thomas gave him trouble too but at least the only guys who gave him trouble were the elite top tier. 

• Like 2

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

Michael Thomas gave him trouble too but at least the only guys who gave him trouble were the elite top tier. 

Agreed.

Michael Thomas was a different kind of problem for Denzel to learn from. Guys in the NFL are allowed to push off and run pick plays for days.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:45 AM, BleedTheClock said:

That is his natural position. He played it every single year in college. So yes he can.

Few quick searches I did just said safety, didn't specify which one so ... guess I can take that as a definitive yes. Not sure how his coverage is and the reads on him suggest he's on the small side, but no doubting he's got a nose for the ball.

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Is it possible Dorsey and staff view Derrick Kindred as a starting caliber SS long term? Could it be a similar situation to the Zeitler deal, where they felt Corbett was the guy?

Obviously the draft will answer that question.

I seriously doubt it. I think they’d rather draft one. 

2 hours ago, StewieRules said:

Few quick searches I did just said safety, didn't specify which one so ... guess I can take that as a definitive yes. Not sure how his coverage is and the reads on him suggest he's on the small side, but no doubting he's got a nose for the ball.

His coverage is very good in zone, not so much in man. He has been excellent at baiting QBs into bad throws and can close on underneath routes incredibly quick. It’s why his subpar combine numbers shocked me. His ability to come from a 2-high look and rob the outside curl route is the best I’ve ever seen. Plus as most people already agree, he’s a special leader and is an absolute missile to the football in the run game.

He is small, he does struggle in man on fast dudes, but every other part of his game is fantastic. I am not worried in the slightest about his future in the NFL, so long as teams don’t use him as a man coverage nickel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Kurt Coleman could be a stop gap at SS. I still want Tre Boston.

I want both. Kurt could play both safety positions. He wouldn’t demand a lot of money IMO too and has experience with Silks. I’m surprised neither of them have been brought in yet

Edited by buno67

23 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Is it possible Dorsey and staff view Derrick Kindred as a starting caliber SS long term? Could it be a similar situation to the Zeitler deal, where they felt Corbett was the guy?

Obviously the draft will answer that question.

I really like Kindred, as a matter of fact, I think I argued that he should have been the starter over Peppers because he made more impact plays. I think he could at worst be a starter and be pretty solid, but obviously we are going to draft a guy and compete with him.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:54 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

Sho and Kirk are nice upper tier starters but I wouldn’t pay them double figures each. Ones gotta go. Preferable kirk. He was good when we were garbage and it made since to pay him back then but not now. He’s JAG. If sho misses a league leading amount of tackles again I wouldn’t break the bank. 

The Duke Johnson of the defense