2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

Looking for an insider opinion on us targeting McCoy now. @NudeTayne

To me he’s be a really intriguing add on a 1-year deal. I’m not quite sure how much I see him being drawn here on an open market though. Who is he going to replace as a starter? You don’t tick off Ogunjobi, two years out from a contract expiring. And you just brought in Sheldon, hoping to see a motivated version of him. In a perfect world, those three are all sharing snaps and don’t care who starts, but dudes do care about that. He’s be a really nice piece to solidify that dline though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

To me he’s be a really intriguing add on a 1-year deal. I’m not quite sure how much I see him being drawn here on an open market though. Who is he going to replace as a starter? You don’t tick off Ogunjobi, two years out from a contract expiring. And you just brought in Sheldon, hoping to see a motivated version of him. In a perfect world, those three are all sharing snaps and don’t care who starts, but dudes do care about that. He’s be a really nice piece to solidify that dline though. 

It’s a weird thing really, who “starts”.  It’s completely arbitrary and absolutely irrelevant.

If I were McCoy I’d want to go somewhere where I could win, and somewhere that will keep my snap count in check.  I mean, what 30 something year old DL wants to play 75% of snaps?

I doubt Cleveland would be his best option, but it could be a good one.  He could come in here, just be one of the guys and have very little pressure in what should be a winning environment.  That would be a big change from what he’s done his whole career.

21 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Can confirm internal discussion ongoing regarding Gerald McCoy's potential contact length.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 11:42 PM, candyman93 said:

My ONLY exception when it comes to paying runningbacks big time is when you have a rookie QB.

Good thing we can sign Hunt to a 6 year 25m deal after this season considering how far Dorsey has bent over backwards for him. If he proves that he really has it all together mentally over the next year, I would like to believe he could be had longterm at a major discount considering what the Browns FO has done for him.. Which opens up paying Chubb in 2 years to a legitimate deal and keeping both together for the long term.

Edited by AkronsWitness

I am all for bringing in McCoy on a short term contract.   Give him 2-3 year deal with all the guaranteed money up front.  You can never have too much quality depth.  That is how the Seahawks won a Super Bowl. 

I don't see a scenario in which we sign Hunt to a 6 year deal.  First off, who in their right mind signs a running back for 6 years?  You rarely see a 5 year contract for running backs anymore.  Todd Gurley was a 4 year deal.  LB 4 year deal.  David Johnson 3 years.  I just don't see it.  

Secondly he will be a RFA next year.  Which means we will likely place a 2nd/original round tender on him and let the market dictate his contract.  If he performs as well as we all hope, someone is going to want him.  And they will likely overpay.  Which means we get 8 games and a draft pick for less than a million dollars. 

9 hours ago, NateDawg said:

You don’t need to replace anybody, you establish a rotation between them, which then keeps them fresher to go more all out

33 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

You don’t need to replace anybody, you establish a rotation between them, which then keeps them fresher to go more all out

Yeah Sheldon and McCoy shouldn’t care about who is starting. Just care about having consistent playing time, making plays, and potentially winning. There are very few teams they can offer McCoy and the defensive line support and the backing of potentially a dangerous offense

6 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

McCoy lost a step and his biggest attribute is/was his first step. So he needs to be in a rotation like here to be successful. Unless he just cares about the money. Which I can’t blame him for. 

From everything o have heard from analysts and Tampa reporters, he isn’t really an about the money guy