Mind Character

2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

14 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

I'll call my shot now. This Super Bowl is Chargers v. Saints. 

If the Browns aren’t in it (unlikely obv) that would actually be a really cool Super Bowl to see. Brees v. Rivers and the Chargers. I’m just not sure the Chargers can get through New England unless Brady hits that wall this year. And obviously us ...

Read a stupid article suggesting we should cut Landry to afford Schobert and Tretter.

Lol we drafted replacements for those 2.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Read a stupid article suggesting we should cut Landry to afford Schobert and Tretter.

Tretter can walk, I want schobert, we could probably even tag him for a year. 

Edit; cant 15 mill per year for a lb.

Edited by Kiwibrown

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

We also drafted Landry's replacement last year.

Also, Landry's contract is basically structured so every year after 2019 is a team option.

Let's not even talk about how individually both Scho and Tretter are more valuable than Landry, let alone combined.

I can't see a situation where Landry is here in 2020 under that same contract. It's getting restructured or he'll be gone.

6 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Also, Landry's contract is basically structured so every year after 2019 is a team option.

Let's not even talk about how individually both Scho and Tretter are more valuable than Landry, let alone combined.

I can't see a situation where Landry is here in 2020 under that same contract. It's getting restructured or he'll be gone.

He is a 10 million dollar wr on a 15 million dollar contract, we are over paying him by 50%. 

36 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

He is a 10 million dollar wr on a 15 million dollar contract, we are over paying him by 50%. 

His numbers are about to go down significantly as well, since he won't be getting the lion's share of targets anymore. He's a guy we should definitely keep, but those salary numbers will not be matching the production. A rebalancing of the books will be in order.

Notable in Jarvis' contract is the fact the his $13M salary for 2020 becomes guaranteed in less than 9 months. 

I expect an extension will be worked out that reduces the cap burden. Add a year or two and bring the APY down to that $10M range would be great.

17 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

His numbers are about to go down significantly as well, since he won't be getting the lion's share of targets anymore. He's a guy we should definitely keep, but those salary numbers will not be matching the production. A rebalancing of the books will be in order.

Notable in Jarvis' contract is the fact the his $13M salary for 2020 becomes guaranteed in less than 9 months. 

I expect an extension will be worked out that reduces the cap burden. Add a year or two and bring the APY down to that $10M range would be great.

I agree with you, however mosst athletes are a bit nuts, with unreal self belief, he may not accept his actua lvalue.

Also he is a franchise guy that is super popular, it wont be an easy sell to the fans if we move on from him. 

Getting rid of Jarvis potentially ticks off OBJ.  I think they're almost indefinitely tied to Jarvis for at least a couple years despite whatever Jarvis' production is this next year or how much Callaway ascends. 

Posted (edited)

We’ll just rework Landry’s deal. Just move some guaranteed money around. Teams do it all the time. The salary cap doesn’t matter if you know how to work it. 

Edited by sdrawkcab321

I think we’re tied to Landry for sure, at least 2-3 more seasons just due to OBJ tbh.

I also think if we’re winning most guys will be willing to work with the team, at least to some degree, to make things work for everyone. Landry has already been paid, so he’s not looking for financial security.  He’s playing for a franchise who appreciates him, playing with his best friend, and playing with a QB he likes and who also happens to be super talented.  How much of a discount is that worth to him?

Push comes to shove, I think Schobert is gone.  I think he may be gone either way.  We’ve got 2 key FA’s on defense and I’d rather pay Randall than Schobert if forced to choose.

Tretter is fine, but it’s gonna come down to money. If he wants a raise from his last deal, I just can’t see it.  Not unless Robinson reverts back into a hot mess, Corbett turns out to be awful and we’re stuck trying to fill a pair of other holes on the OL.

Landry is worth every penny we are paying him.  I expect that he will have a good year.  Somewhere in the 85-90 catches with 900+ yards.  

They "may" try to restructure his deal next year, but I doubt it.  My guess is we keep him next year as well, and plan on moving on from him after the 2020 season.  

Sorry, but Schobert and Tretter are not more valuable than Landry.  Yes we have a stacked WR room right now.  But we also have multiple players who can play center(for a lot cheaper), and by all accounts have 2 solid(potentially great) rookie linebackers.   What Landry brought to the team was a lot more than his on the field play(which is invaluable by itself), but also helped finally swing the locker room.  

Yes it is a business.  So Landry and OBJ both finishing their careers here together is highly unlikely.  But we aren't going to disrupt that next year.  We "should" win our division this year, and make a run in the playoffs.   Next year the SuperBowl should be a real shot.  They will want to keep the core players in tact for that run.  

Another thing to consider....

If the FO doesn’t want to go completely green at LB, I think it’s possible Kirksey is kept over Joe.  

He’s not as good, but he’s locked into a cheaper salary than Schobert will likely command and letting Joe walk would likely net us a nice comp pick.

Kirksey also has little guaranteed money after this year and might also renegotiate his deal and and give up some salary in favor of a bit more guaranteed.

Just a thought.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Another thing to consider....

If the FO doesn’t want to go completely green at LB, I think it’s possible Kirksey is kept over Joe.  

He’s not as good, but he’s locked into a cheaper salary than Schobert will likely command and letting Joe walk would likely net us a nice comp pick.

Kirksey also has little guaranteed money after this year and might also renegotiate his deal and and give up some salary in favor of a bit more guaranteed.

Just a thought.

I would rather keep Joe than get a 3rd rd comp pick. Kirksey might be able to land a 4th or 5th. 

The way the season plays out will really tell you what the future will hold for Schobert. If he plays like he did last year, he will be allowed to walk. 

I honestly think he will be a lot better in Silks scheme. A lot of reports have said that Schobert won’t have nearly as deep coverage responsibilities like he had under Gregggg. I think that’s why TEs would kill us. Underneaths were wide open for them. Potentially with Schobert not dropping so deep and the Safeties not playing as deep, the pocket over the middle won’t be nearly as big as it was greggg. 

Really I’m hoping he plays like a poor mans Kuechly. He has no near the kind of LB he is but they both excel at coverage. If he plays like that for Silks. He Will have to be kept. If not Wilson might be able to be that because of his athletic ability.

8 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

A)Landry was a major part of the attitude and culture change here B) We cannot overlook his what his blocking meant for Nick Chubb and how good he is at it C) Does Obj ultimately come here if Landry isn't here? I think you are totally underrating his value. I would respect what you said about Tretter because he was a warrior for us as a part of a real solid offensive line but Schobert? Pffft, he as a part of the 29th ranked run defense and led the NFL in missed tackles, ill pass

9 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Tretter can walk, I want schobert, we could probably even tag him for a year. 

Edit; cant 15 mill per year for a lb.

I think you could get a team friendly deal for Tretter, but to be fair to Schobert, his play this year will determine if he will be paid. As of now, he can go, unless he can all the sudden become a force against the run, and become a complete linebacker

Posted (edited)

Playoff predictions in no order:

AFC

Browns

Pats

Colts

Chargers

Steelers

Titans

NFC

Eagles

Packers

Falcons

Rams

Saints

Vikings

Ive got a bad feeling about the Chiefs given the Tyreek Hill situation. I like Mahommes, but their defense got even worse. Another part of me wants to swap the Saints and Redskins because I think this is the years Brees falls off a cliff.

Edited by candyman93