2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

29 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Schobert isn’t a guy you shovel money at in FA. He’s a good LB but doesn’t have a huge payday ceiling. So if someone is going to throw $15M p/yr at him, see ya. If he’s in line for $8M per season, sure give him 5/$40 with some outs and call it a day. We drafted two linebackers with the hopes that at least one of them will be ready to start in a year. I think they would really like to see Taki play a role this year, really. Randall I’d love to lock up but that’s a real question mark based on what the safety contracts looked like last year. I do think we have the money to retain some of our court guys though. We have some guys we can loosen from the books after this year. 

Schobert will leave a huge gap in pass pro, which we have been killed by I'm previous seasons. I'd give him kirksey money +15% and cut kirksey to keep him. 

Imo he is possibly more valuable than Randall, I'm a bit undecided betweenthe two.

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Schobert will leave a huge gap in pass pro, which we have been killed by I'm previous seasons. I'd give him kirksey money +15% and cut kirksey to keep him. 

Imo he is possibly more valuable than Randall, I'm a bit undecided betweenthe two.

Kirksey signed 4/$38M with 20M in guarantees.  So your numbers come out to about 4/$44M.  If that's what it is, that's reasonable given what we saw this past season.  Mosley signed 5/$85M this past off-season though.  I think the NFL world knows Schobert isn't worth what Mosley is, but you still expect contracts in general to continue to climb every year.  Therefore, I think a good year could put Schobert somewhere around 5/$60.  With what we have ahead, if that's what we're up against, I'm taking my chances developing our young linebackers and spending the money elsewhere/saving for the future core guys. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Kirksey signed 4/$38M with 20M in guarantees.  So your numbers come out to about 4/$44M.  If that's what it is, that's reasonable given what we saw this past season.  Mosley signed 5/$85M this past off-season though.  I think the NFL world knows Schobert isn't worth what Mosley is, but you still expect contracts in general to continue to climb every year.  Therefore, I think a good year could put Schobert somewhere around 5/$60.  With what we have ahead, if that's what we're up against, I'm taking my chances developing our young linebackers and spending the money elsewhere/saving for the future core guys. 

Great post, I'd pay schobert middle class nfl money, not upper class franchise corner stone money. Which I wouldnt give a linebacker unless they are Luke keighley, ray Lewis type players, it just isnt that important a position.

• Like 1

Jarvis is part of the reason Baker was elite in the red zone. It’s why I think Jarvis can be a Hines Ward type of WR.

http://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2019/06/6ff36c80d69873/how-baker-mayfield-dominated-the-red-zone-in-2018-and-where-he-can-still-improve-film-room.html

Mayfield targeted Jarvis Landry more than any other receiver in the red zone. He threw to Landry on 18 attempts for 10 completions and two touchdowns. This corresponded to a passer rating of 99.8, and a 44 percent success rate. Landry might not be the best athlete but his footwork is sound in tight situations.

• Like 3

The Schobert issue isn't one sided.   Regardless of how well he plays, he is more likely than not gone after this season.

If he plays as well/better than last year is going to want 12-15 million per year.  Jordan Hicks got 4 years 36 million with comparable stats.  The market isn't going to regress.  

Bobby Wagner is going to be up for a new contract, and Seattle is going to set the LB market early with him.  

We drafted 2 ostensibly very good linebackers.  I don't see Schobert or Kirksey staying beyond this year.   We will let them walk for the comp picks.

23 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

The Schobert issue isn't one sided.   Regardless of how well he plays, he is more likely than not gone after this season.

If he plays as well/better than last year is going to want 12-15 million per year.  Jordan Hicks got 4 years 36 million with comparable stats.  The market isn't going to regress.  

Bobby Wagner is going to be up for a new contract, and Seattle is going to set the LB market early with him.  

We drafted 2 ostensibly very good linebackers.  I don't see Schobert or Kirksey staying beyond this year.   We will let them walk for the comp picks.

Kirksey won’t net a comp pick if he’s cut.

That fact and his salary is already locked in and not awful are two reasons I think it’s actually more likely he’s here next season as opposed to Schobert provided he plays well this year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Which is exactly why we drafted Wilson

PoliticalGeneralHyena-max-1mb.gif

• Like 2

Loved the 1st play and formation Jarvis talks about. Brilliant design by Freddie.

Just my opinion, but Baker loves guys that run good routes. He probably wants good route runners over height / weight / speed guys. He’s definitely a gun slinger, but there’s a lot of timing involved. 

Edited by candyman93