2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

4 hours ago, pnies20 said:

Were you in there for the epic toe drag debate?

For his sake I hope not. 

That forum has a few people that try to hold court with just outrageous opinions like that. Then you have the minions that just eat it up and affirm the nonsense. 

It’s toxic in there. 

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

For his sake I hope not. 

That forum has a few people that try to hold court with just outrageous opinions like that. Then you have the minions that just eat it up and affirm the nonsense. 

It’s toxic in there. 

Yeah it’s a bunch of blowhards who live to one-up each other with the nonsense takes but still want to be taken seriously.

We’ve got enough guys in here to keep me informed on prospects.

• Like 2

Here are some helpful hints for those of you that want to fit in with the NFL Draft talking heads:

*Mention "high cut build" regularly

*Mention "Generational Talent" with any freak RB, WR, DB, or EDGE guy going in the Top 3

*Mention "Film study" and subsequently post and imbed a YouTube highlight reel

*THIS ONE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT: You MUST buddy up to/suck up to Mel Kiper Jr. Jr. and follow him on Twitter/shamelessly self promote your own Twitter hot takes.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Here are some helpful hints for those of you that want to fit in with the NFL Draft talking heads:

*Mention "high cut build" regularly

*Mention "Generational Talent" with any freak RB, WR, DB, or EDGE guy going in the Top 3

*Mention "Film study" and subsequently post and imbed a YouTube highlight reel

*THIS ONE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT: You MUST buddy up to/suck up to Mel Kiper Jr. Jr. and follow him on Twitter/shamelessly self promote your own Twitter hot takes.

The shameless self promotion of his twitter handle is hilarious.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The shameless self promotion of his twitter handle is hilarious.  

My favorite was a picture of his big screen TV in his man cave with some random college game paused in the background with the caption "THIS is where the magic happens!"

• Like 1

The overanalysis of draft prospects is how you end up with so many busts.

It's this simple:

1. Does the guy consistently win in college?

2. Does the way in which he wins translate to the NFL?

3. Does he have character concerns?

Bam. That's it. Everything else is a manifestation of GM's and scouts (armchair and actual) trying to justify their brilliance through overanalysis. It's sickening.

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

The overanalysis of draft prospects is how you end up with so many busts.

I agree 100%.

It's this simple:

1. Does the guy consistently win in college?

Eh, to some extent I agree, but that's also largely position dependent. There have been some really good players, especially defensive guys, who have been on teams that are TERRIBLE. That said, aside from Goff, I couldn't tell you the last GOOD QB to have some level of NFL success that wasn't a successful/winning QB in college (Mahomes took a team that was bad and helped them show signs of life/win a few games).

2. Does the way in which he wins translate to the NFL?

I'd still exchange "win" with "produce". Does the production translate to the next level? Whether it's scoring, blocking, tackling, rushing the passer, stopping the run, being strong at the point of attack, etc.

3. Does he have character concerns?

I like "character concerns" over isolated incidents. I.E. Manziel had tremendous CHARACTER CONCERNS coming out (who you are, what your values are, what your work ethic is, what you value, what kind of teammate you are, etc.), whereas Baker had an inebriated run in with law enforcement/fled the scene to go with a fiery attitude that rubbed many the wrong way (myself included coming out TBH).

Bam. That's it. Everything else is a manifestation of GM's and scouts (armchair and actual) trying to justify their brilliance through overanalysis. It's sickening.

100% agree. TBH, I always thought that the combine should just reinforce what you see on tape, not the end all/be all. I.E. The combine showed that Calvin Johnson's production and freakish playmaking ability in college was confirmed by his athletic testing. The same goes for Julius Peppers, Adrian Peterson, etc. You know who blew up the combine but had limited college production? Barkevious Mingo, Darrius Hayward Bay, Akili Smith, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Eh, to some extent I agree, but that's also largely position dependent. There have been some really good players, especially defensive guys, who have been on teams that are TERRIBLE. That said, aside from Goff, I couldn't tell you the last GOOD QB to have some level of NFL success that wasn't a successful/winning QB in college (Mahomes took a team that was bad and helped them show signs of life/win a few games).

Should have rephrased this. I meant, does the guy consistently win HIS MATCHUPS in college.

I could care less about wins and losses for a team when evaluating a prospect. There are some absolute superstars on horrible teams. Not their fault. And then you get the Colt McCoy argument: "Winningest college QB ever!!!"    Who freaking cares if he has the arm strength of a prepubescent boy? That's not a translatable skill.