2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

Very rarely does a team fix all their holes in one off season. Dorsey has taken some heat for some of his picks - but I think he prioritized the areas of need last April.

First and foremost had to be the QB. We have seen what happens when you try to build the rest of the team, and then plop the QB into to the lineup. The next time that works will be the first. Baker has shown that he was worthy of the top pick. He has experienced rookie struggles, like just about every rookie QB does. He will be fine.

Then Dorsey keenly saw that our DBs were very pedestrian in 2017. Go get the best CB he could get, and look at the difference it made for the defense. We are now able to play an attacking style of defense.

The next area would be the tackle spots, particularly the left tackle spot. I think the thought process was that Austin Corbett would nail down that spot. But he was found to be lacking at the LT spot, and is better suited for an interior line position. The current LT, Desmond Harrison, is liked a lot by longtime Cleveland Brown and current radio analyst, Doug Dieken. Says he is just lacking a bit of weight in the anchor, and experience. But he has the footwork.

Chris Hubbard has been an unmitigated disaster at RT. Major miss here.

Chad Thomas is probably a stash player for 2019. He has good penetrating skills - and the thought was kick him inside and you have a penetrating DT. But he has been fighting a groin injury, and we know how those nag on and on.

Genard Avery is a diamond in the rough.

So looking forward to 2019 - I think a MAJOR emphasis will be placed on the offensive and defensive lines in the draft. I would love to see the WRs upgraded. I would prefer 1 veteran productive WR, and 1 draft choice. I think we also have a legitimate need at CB2 and another young stallion to pair with Nick Chubb.

I understand that surrounding Baker with talent to help him succeed is paramount but this draft is weak when it comes to OL and WR. It could, however, give us the pieces to make this defense absolutely elite. Help for offense is going to have to come from FA and that doesn’t look very promising either

48 minutes ago, Trots said:

I understand that surrounding Baker with talent to help him succeed is paramount but this draft is weak when it comes to OL and WR. It could, however, give us the pieces to make this defense absolutely elite. Help for offense is going to have to come from FA and that doesn’t look very promising either

I wouldn't call the WR class "weak." Just because there's no clear cut superstar at the WR position doesn't mean this class as a whole is lacking. It's deep, and loaded with talent.

Gone: Tyrod,Tretter, Collins, Carrie 

We Make Lincoln Riley the highest paid HC in history of the nfl. F-it 

Free Agents 

Daryl Williams T. - coming off a serious injury we get him at a bargain and hope he returns to form. 

Tyrell Williams WR - Big Bodied WR we reportedly tried dealing for. We get him for nothing but a fat contract. 

Demarcus Lawerance DE - we pay big bucks to grab a stud across from Myles to relieve some of the pressure. Him and Garrett are going to be a problem. 

Draft. 

1. Greedy Williams CB - Dorsey sticks to his guns and drafts best player available. Greedy is a long and lanky has the speed to back it up. Ward,Randal,Peppers and Greedy would be the best secondary in the Nfl. Book it. 

2. Dalton Risner T - we need to protect Baker at all cost. Grabbing two tackles. Is a bit overkill because I believe in Harrison but we can’t take any chances. 

3. Khalil Hodge LB - with Collins gone someone will have to take his place. I doubt he’s here but you don’t pass him if he is. 

3. Paris Campbell WR - another weapon for bake to have at his disposal 

I like the Tyrell Williams signing. 

Lawrence is not getting out of Dallas. They would tag him again if need be.

Risner might be a 2nd round talent in the 40-60 range but he is not an OT talent. If he goes in the 2nd it is because teams believe in him as an interior lineman.

Haven't watched the other guys.

1 hour ago, bosko1616 said:

We Make Lincoln Riley the highest paid HC in history of the nfl. F-it 

That is a HARD pass....

You want him to get Gruden money despite him never having coached in the NFL?

I like Riley, but there's not way I just toss him the keys no questions asked....

2 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

That is a HARD pass....

I like Riley, but there's not way I just toss him the keys no questions asked....

It's basically a dictatorship in Oakland rn. Gruden had his own big board, separate of the Raiders' own GM, and he has Marc Davis' heart. That would certainly not be the case here. But if the Browns really want Riley, they're gonna have to throw him that kind of money.

I definitely think his offense could thrive in the NFL, as we've already heard numerous instances of NFL teams borrowing from his playcalling philosophy.

5 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

It's basically a dictatorship in Oakland rn. Gruden had his own big board, separate of the Raiders' own GM, and he has Marc Davis' heart. That would certainly not be the case here. But if the Browns really want Riley, they're gonna have to throw him that kind of money.

I definitely think his offense could thrive in the NFL, as we've already heard numerous instances of NFL teams borrowing from his playcalling philosophy.

Either way no one is getting near Jon Gruden money from any NFL team.

I don't care if we go Riley or not. I don't care who the HC or OC is going to be so long as they implement RPO concepts. I watch Philadelphia(other teams do it as well) and the QB is often free from pressure due to the RPOs, and misdirection. The offensive line is not asked to outright be better than the defense on every play and it helps them to protect their QB better over the coarse of an entire game. We do none of that or have ever done anything creative to help out our offensive line.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

That is a HARD pass....

You want what is best for Baker. Riley would be the safest bet you can make because you already know how well those guys work together

1 hour ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I understand but you just don't know until your there. Chip Kelly was a great example of NFL teams borrowing from his play calling philosophy.

He came in and thought he could command an NFL locker room like he did in College.

He burnt out HARD in the NFL.  Its hard to assume he will be fine because hes respected.  The fact of the matter is MANY college coaches with no experience in the NFL have come here and failed.  I can't see guaranteeing a ton of money to a guy that we are just speculating will be good.

I will say I like Riley, but he is one of many options, if he were a sure thing then a lot more coaches from college would have succeeded in the NFL, but I don't like putting us in a possible terrible situation just because he succeeded in college using baker in a very college friendly system.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

You want what is best for Baker. Riley would be the safest bet you can make because you already know how well those guys work together

I don't know that Riley is the best for baker.  They work well together sure, but will Riley put Baker in the best position to succeed in the NFL, there is honestly no way to know.  I'm not saying hes not a worthwhile option, I'm just saying hes not head and shoulders better than other options that you wouldn't throw a blank check at.

Just now, CBrownsman said:

I understand but you just don't know until your there. Chip Kelly was a great example of NFL teams borrowing from his play calling philosophy.

He came in and thought he could command an NFL locker room like he did in College.

He burnt out HARD in the NFL.  Its hard to assume he will be fine because hes respected.  The fact of the matter is MANY college coaches with no experience in the NFL have come here and failed.  I can't see guaranteeing a ton of money to a guy that we are just speculating will be good.

I will say I like Riley, but he is one of many options, if he were a sure thing then a lot more coaches from college would have succeeded in the NFL, but I don't like putting us in a possible terrible situation just because he succeeded in college using baker in a very college friendly system.

Not a fan of the Chip Kelly comp. First off, he came in and lit up the league, then he was accused of being a racist, and wasn't loved by his players, even traded some away. That's when it all went downhill. Frankly, I don't think Riley is that big of an ***.

7 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Not a fan of the Chip Kelly comp. First off, he came in and lit up the league, then he was accused of being a racist, and wasn't loved by his players, even traded some away. That's when it all went downhill. Frankly, I don't think Riley is that big of an ***.

I understand but his system seemed to work for a little while in the league, and parts of it are used to influence NFL offenses, but using a system that rigid in the NFL wont work.  My point in using chip kellys name was that he was well respected in NFL circles and constantly consulted in the league before he got here. He ran what turned out to be a GREAT defense in Philly into the ground because of time of possession and though the offense worked, the team did not work.  Its also hard being the top dog in college for kids that come and go every 4 years, and being in charge of players who are younger than you, more entitled, make more than you, and are more valuable to the franchise than you.  

My point is there are MANY more examples of coaches who have flamed out in the NFL coming from college than those who have succeeded.  I think Riley is less rigid and less head strong than Kelly, but that doesn't mean hes not still a question mark at this level and shouldn't be assumed to be worth the largest contract in NFL history....

1 hour ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Either way no one is getting near Jon Gruden money from any NFL team.

I don't care if we go Riley or not. I don't care who the HC or OC is going to be so long as they implement RPO concepts. I watch Philadelphia(other teams do it as well) and the QB is often free from pressure due to the RPOs, and misdirection. The offensive line is not asked to outright be better than the defense on every play and it helps them to protect their QB better over the coarse of an entire game. We do none of that or have ever done anything creative to help out our offensive line.

Preach amigo, preach.