2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

Just looking at the division.

Bengals - Mike Brown doesn’t care. Total dumpster fire with their best players in the 30’s. I expect guys like AJ Green to get shipped.

Steelers - They’re hit or miss as long as they have Ben. However, he’s that entire team outside of Connor and Juju.

Ravens - Probably the worst offense in the division. Zero talent on that side of the ball. That defense doesn’t scare Baker and it got arguably worse.

Hearing a lot about OBJ wanting to restructure his contract to get in that 18-20m per year range that AB got. Lets say they go ahead and restructure to give OBJ 19m per year. We also have Jarvis at 15m per year.

Anybody else worried about having that much $$$ tied up in 2 WRs? Usually a position that 1/3 of the league only has 1 guy at that price tag? We have 2 of the top 7. Hell, only 20 WRs make over 10m per year and we have 15m/19m. We can get out of Jarvis Landrys contract after this season, but with all of the hype and OBJ being his BFF, I would think that would cause some serious drama if we go and cut a reason why he was excited to be here and not keep OBJ/Landry/Mayfield together longterm (At least 3+ years)

How do you think this will play moving forward and is there anyway they can structure either of their contracts to be less dramatic to the cap after this season?

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Hearing a lot about OBJ wanting to restructure his contract to get in that 18-20m per year range that AB got. Lets say they go ahead and restructure to give OBJ 19m per year. We also have Jarvis at 15m per year.

Anybody else worried about having that much $$$ tied up in 2 WRs? Usually a position that 1/3 of the league only has 1 guy at that price tag? We have 2 of the top 7. Hell, only 20 WRs make over 10m per year and we have 15m/19m. We can get out of Jarvis Landrys contract after this season, but with all of the hype and OBJ being his BFF, I would think that would cause some serious drama if we go and cut a reason why he was excited to be here and not keep OBJ/Landry/Mayfield together longterm (At least 3+ years)

How do you think this will play moving forward and is there anyway they can structure either of their contracts to be less dramatic to the cap after this season?

Landry needs to take a pay cut after 2019 season if he wants to keep the band together.

9 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Landry needs to take a pay cut after 2019 season if he wants to keep the band together.

Yeah thats def. the simple answer--just dont know if its going to be that easy.

In a perfect world we go "Hey Jarvis we gave you 2 years of big money, lets work something out" and ask him to take a 3/11m deal or something.

All I know is, OBJ at 19/20 per season and Jarvis at 15 per season isnt going to work past this year and cutting Landry could cause a lot of issues to this fairy tale story they just built.  Im sure Depodesta and the analytics dept. will have something to say about paying 2 WRs 'cornerstone' level money. Just curious to what the solution could be.

16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah thats def. the simple answer--just dont know if its going to be that easy.

In a perfect world we go "Hey Jarvis we gave you 2 years of big money, lets work something out" and ask him to take a 3/11m deal or something.

All I know is, OBJ at 19/20 per season and Jarvis at 15 per season isnt going to work past this year and cutting Landry could cause a lot of issues to this fairy tale story they just built.  Im sure Depodesta and the analytics dept. will have something to say about paying 2 WRs 'cornerstone' level money. Just curious to what the solution could be.

Why not? Who are the big name guys we can’t afford to lose or can’t be replaced via draft?

People talk about good teams not spending money. Good teams also know how to replace guys via draft. Who is the guy that can’t be replaced in the draft.

14 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Why not? Who are the big name guys we can’t afford to lose or can’t be replaced via draft?

People talk about good teams not spending money. Good teams also know how to replace guys via draft.

Thats the question, what happens if the Browns want somebody in FA next year because they develop a huge hole at a position group or maybe 1 position group struggles and they need to address it but have 40+m tied up with WRs. Also just because we have cap space, doesnt mean management wants to pay it to the max every year. 

The Eagles are the 2nd highest WR starters in the league and they are paying Jeffrey/Jackson 13/11 for 24 total a year. The Browns are going to be paying are paying 15/20 for 35 a year for their 2 starters if OBJ gets his wish to rework. It just seems like at some point in the next year or two that is going to come into play

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Thats the question, what happens if the Browns want somebody in FA next year because they develop a huge hole at a position group or maybe 1 position group struggles and they need to address it but have 40+m tied up with WRs. Also just because we have cap space, doesnt mean management wants to pay it to the max every year. 

The Seahawks are the 2nd highest WR starters in the league and they are paying Lockett/Baldwin 11/10 for 22 total a year. The Browns are going to be paying are paying 15/20 for 35 a year for their 2 starters if OBJ gets his wish to rework. It just seems like at some point in the next year or two that is going to come into play

We don’t need to rely on free agency anymore. We have the talent to compete and become like Pittsburgh / New England. If Jd decides to just rely on the draft going forward, I’d trust him.

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Bengals - Mike Brown doesn’t care. Total dumpster fire with their best players in the 30’s. I expect guys like AJ Green to get shipped.

Steelers - They’re hit or miss as long as they have Ben. However, he’s that entire team outside of Connor and Juju.

Ravens - Probably the worst offense in the division. Zero talent on that side of the ball. That defense doesn’t scare Baker and it got arguably worse.

Unless Tomlin continues to lose the team the steelers will continue to be good.  They are one of the beat drafting teams in the league.  Their oline is also very good.  Tj watt is a monster.  Vance mcdonald is bery good as are the fatties on the DLine.  They play bery hard every snap for the most part with intensity, and the coaching as far as the Xs and Os is very good.

Ravens offense can be good if they rebuild the wr core and jackson does not het hurt and turn into rg3.

Ogbah & Duke Trade Targets

The writing is on the wall with Duke and Ogbah trades in the future. I appreciate Duke, I believe he's underutilized, and trading him before Kareem Hunt is available for play would be a poor decision, but the value in return may be too much to pass up. Emmanuel Ogbah contrary to many people's opinion will be a good player going forward but going into his final year he's not going to get a contract extension with the Browns, but has the upside, athleticism, and run support dominance at times that might intrigue other teams.

There are a lot of players in a contract years much like Ogbah for which their teams may know now that they're not going to re-up their contract and they would rather take a gamble on Ogbah while receiving a solid player like Duke as well.

The following players are in their final year, and are not going to re-sign with their respective teams according to the vast majority of information:

Trade Duke Johnson, RB Browns AND Emmanuel Ogbah, DE Browns for

Trae Waynes. CB Vikings

Marcus Peters, CB Rams (This name will surprise people, but he struggled in the Rams scheme and the Rams need edge help; Ogbah may be rejuvenated by Wade Phillips and with Gurley question marks Duke may be the playmaker in the pass and run they need).

Shaq Thompson, LB/Nickel Panthers

La'el Collins, OG/OT Cowboys

Vic Beasley, OLB/DE Falcons

Robby Anderson, WR Jets

Nelson Agholor, WR Eagles

-------------

------------

I'd love to trade Duke and Ogbah for Peters, Thompson, or Collins. Everyone else is meh, but maybe optins.

8 hours ago, pnies20 said:

I want tre Boston. He’s been with 3 teams in 3 years and needs some stability (browns offer that now?). He had a pretty productive season last year

Gotta wonder why he’s not stuck somewhere, he’s been a decent player.

Anyone know if he’s a headcase or something?

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I’d be surprised tbh.  Brown isn’t eating that cash, he’s running a business, not a team.  I’d agree it’s time to rebuild and move on from guys like AJ, Dalton, Dunlap, Atkins, etc., but they won’t.

I still think they’re competitive. 10+ wins would surprise me at all.

To sure what they’re doing over there. I know they feel comfortable replacing talent defensively with their ability to develop draft picks, but they took a hit.  Offensively I get it even less.  Not sure what a Jackson led offense looks like in 2019, but if he keeps his pace from last season of 300 carries, well, good luck with that.

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Until we prove we can stop the ravens run game they still worry me. 

Archived