2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Not sure he fits as our 4-3 OLB. I know he played it in Denver in the past but he was still rushing the passer. Not covering. 

a 4 man rotation of garrett miller vernon avery makes me a very happy man tbh esp with ogunjobi, richardson up the middle
gotta think they'd send ogbah out?

Let me preface this with, I BELIEVE and TRUST John Dorsey......

The way he is acquiring talent and Salary concerns me a little bit......

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001022821/article/chiefs-gm-salary-cap-required-proactive-changes-on-d

" For all the due love that former Chiefs GM John Dorsey has received this week for his work in Cleveland, it shouldn't be overlooked that when he left Kansas City in 2017, he exited with a messy cap situation................The Chiefs were stuck up against the cap this offseason, necessitating the shedding of long-time stalwarts. Veach's goal is to set his team up down the road so they can avoid such painful decisions............................... "Looking at both now and into the future, we have a lot of great young talent," Veach said. "We have guys like Patrick Mahomes, Chris Jones and Tyreek Hill, and one of the things that we made a strong effort to do when I took over was to make sure that we had good, young talent in the pipeline but also that we're cap flexible and have draft capital."

I know the cap is going up and we have one of the best capologist in the league......but still......we cant spend like an 16 year old with Daddy's credit card.....With two players that we will have to make the top paid player at their positions when their contracts are due....and a CB that will need top 5 money when his is due.....Beckam Jr. will need a re-up eventually..

3 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001022821/article/chiefs-gm-salary-cap-required-proactive-changes-on-d

" For all the due love that former Chiefs GM John Dorsey has received this week for his work in Cleveland, it shouldn't be overlooked that when he left Kansas City in 2017, he exited with a messy cap situation................The Chiefs were stuck up against the cap this offseason, necessitating the shedding of long-time stalwarts. Veach's goal is to set his team up down the road so they can avoid such painful decisions............................... "Looking at both now and into the future, we have a lot of great young talent," Veach said. "We have guys like Patrick Mahomes, Chris Jones and Tyreek Hill, and one of the things that we made a strong effort to do when I took over was to make sure that we had good, young talent in the pipeline but also that we're cap flexible and have draft capital."

I know the cap is going up and we have one of the best capologist in the league......but still......we cant spend like an 16 year old with Daddy's credit card.....With two players that we will have to make the top paid player at their positions when their contracts are due....and a CB that will need top 5 money when his is due.....Beckam Jr. will need a re-up eventually..

I don’t disagree at all, but so far we’re in pretty good shape moving forward.  Most of the guys are on essentially 2 year deals, so it’s not really an issue for what’s going to happen in 3-4 years.

Hopefully Dorsey is learning a bit from DePodesta about the cap and asset management and cap simply apply his talents to those philosophies.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t disagree at all, but so far we’re in pretty good shape moving forward.  Most of the guys are on essentially 2 year deals, so it’s not really an issue for what’s going to happen in 3-4 years.

Hopefully Dorsey is learning a bit from DePodesta about the cap and asset management and cap simply apply his talents to those philosophies.

1594.original-8081.jpg?rect=38,0,320,320

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

a 4 man rotation of garrett miller vernon avery makes me a very happy man tbh esp with ogunjobi, richardson up the middle
gotta think they'd send ogbah out?

It would be great no doubt but we’d basically be playing a 5-2 defense. Von will be blitzing every down. Sho and kirk would be the only Lbs in coverage. 

1 hour ago, DaWg_LB. said:

59 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I think this is important to note.  None of the guys who we have brought in, Vernon, Richardson, Odell are guys who we cant cut when we need to sign our own guys.

Now maybe similar to the Chiefs that means there will be hard decisions to keep the team together, but that is why starting now we need to be drafting the best players available to fill needs not now but in the future.  If we draft someone like Jeffery Simmons we can replace the 13 million dollars a year Sheldon Richardson Costs.

If we draft a LB we can replace the 10 million dollars a year Kirksey costs.

If we draft a OG we can replace the 10 million dollars a year Bitonio costs.

We can draft a CB and replace the 10 million dollars a year CJ Carrie costs.

We can draft a DE and replace the 15 million dollars a year Olivier Vernon costs.

Unfortunatley we can't keep everyone we have on our team right now for the next 10 years, but what we can do is set ourselves up to keep replacing expensive players with young players and hopefully not lose a ton of talent.

We want to resign Baker, we want to resign Garrett, we want to resign Ward, we would obviously like to keep everyone we can but we have to make decisions on the players that are worth keeping long term and make the best decisions for the team going forward.

That being said we HAVE a QBOTF on his rookie deal, we HAVE a stud DE on his rookie deal, we HAVE a #1 CB on his rookie deal, we have a LT on a very affordable deal, we have the most expensive positions in the NFL on cheap deals, do what you can to try and win now so it will hurt less when you lose guys!

1 minute ago, CBrownsman said:

Yeah I think this is important to note.  None of the guys who we have brought in, Vernon, Richardson, Odell are guys who we cant cut when we need to sign our own guys.

Now maybe similar to the Chiefs that means there will be hard decisions to keep the team together, but that is why starting now we need to be drafting the best players available to fill needs not now but in the future.  If we draft someone like Jeffery Simmons we can replace the 13 million dollars a year Sheldon Richardson Costs.

If we draft a LB we can replace the 10 million dollars a year Kirksey costs.

If we draft a OG we can replace the 10 million dollars a year Bitonio costs.

We can draft a CB and replace the 10 million dollars a year CJ Carrie costs.

We can draft a DE and replace the 15 million dollars a year Olivier Vernon costs.

Unfortunatley we can't keep everyone we have on our team right now for the next 10 years, but what we can do is set ourselves up to keep replacing expensive players with young players and hopefully not lose a ton of talent.

We want to resign Baker, we want to resign Garrett, we want to resign Ward, we would obviously like to keep everyone we can but we have to make decisions on the players that are worth keeping long term and make the best decisions for the team going forward.

That being said we HAVE a QBOTF on his rookie deal, we HAVE a stud DE on his rookie deal, we HAVE a #1 CB on his rookie deal, we have a LT on a very affordable deal, we have the most expensive positions in the NFL on cheap deals, do what you can to try and win now so it will hurt less when you lose guys!

Yeah folks seem to really miss the point about these day 2 and 3 picks. 

We need these picks, and the exceptionally low cap hit associated with them, to provide depth and eventually replace current starters.

Guys like Carrie, Tretter, Kirskery, Hubbard, Higgins, Duke, etc aren’t going to be able to be here long term.  Eventually you’ll likely need to find replacements for guys like Bitonio and possibly Randall and Mitchell too.

All of that starts with finding players in the mid to later rounds you can develop in your system and who can then step in when needed at a very cap friendly cost.

23 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah folks seem to really miss the point about these day 2 and 3 picks. 

We need these picks, and the exceptionally low cap hit associated with them, to provide depth and eventually replace current starters.

Guys like Carrie, Tretter, Kirskery, Hubbard, Higgins, Duke, etc aren’t going to be able to be here long term.  Eventually you’ll likely need to find replacements for guys like Bitonio and possibly Randall and Mitchell too.

All of that starts with finding players in the mid to later rounds you can develop in your system and who can then step in when needed at a very cap friendly cost.

Exactly, and quite frankly the way we are headed, its not even late round guys anymore.  next years 1st, 2nd, 3rd, they should all, at this point, be replacements for guys whos contracts are too large so we can start refreshing the cap a little more and afford Garrett's huge raise.  But the best part is it doesn't have to be for needs.  We don't NEED to take a safety this year.  We don't NEED to take a CB.  If we get to the 2nd round and the center is the BPA and he is a future pro-bowler? we can do that.  If we get to the 3rd round and the BPA is a OT, we can do that.  I REALLY like the position we have put ourselves in.

Yeah we’re 100% good till 2022 hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahah

but yeah I think we trade Ogbah it makes sense. We already have Chad Thomas who has the same skill set 

if we can package Ogbah and Duke and pick up a second I’d do it 

or trade each separately for a 3rd

9 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Yeah we’re 100% good till 2022 hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahah

but yeah I think we trade Ogbah it makes sense. We already have Chad Thomas who has the same skill set 

if we can package Ogbah and Duke and pick up a second I’d do it 

or trade each separately for a 3rd

I don't think were getting a 3rd for 1 years of a backup DE who has never showed a huge ability to pass rush.  I would be happy with a 4th, but I expect a 5th...

The reality is, this team has been in build/rebuild mode so much that we are finally in a position as to where we don't need to draft guys in the 1st round to come in and make an immediate impact at a key position. We have our QB (Baker), RB (TWO of them), EDGE guy (Myles), #1 CB(Ward), dynamic playmaker on offense (OBJ) and a couple of solid DTs (Richardson and Ogunjobi) and situational secondary edge guys (Vernon, Avery).

The reality is, we should now be getting BPA in the 1st/2nd, glue guys and "x factor types" in the 3rd/4th, and fliers in the 5th-7th to replace the other glue guys, x factor types, and depth that we won't be able to resign.

Just keep the major core intact, let attrition go, and replace with solid youngsters.

I have no idea what to do with my draft analysis now...it's crazy!

Archived