2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

LJ Scott is a good player. But I'd rather just keep Duke and be done with it. Scott could be our 3rd RB and we'd be fine, but I have an affinity for Duke and do not want him gone. If we do have to trade him, it better be for Gerald McCoy or a player of a similar caliber. Not some B.S. 5th/6th round pick.

These thoughts are nice on paper, just like our roster.  But the reality is the business side of things mixed with the emotional side of things may make it better for both parties if he were traded.

Granted there is no scenario in which we cut him, but I could see them trading him for a 5th/6th rounder.  I wouldn't be happy for that chump change, but it would be better than drama in the locker room, and no compensation at all.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomahawk said:

These thoughts are nice on paper, just like our roster.  But the reality is the business side of things mixed with the emotional side of things may make it better for both parties if he were traded.

Granted there is no scenario in which we cut him, but I could see them trading him for a 5th/6th rounder.  I wouldn't be happy for that chump change, but it would be better than drama in the locker room, and no compensation at all.  

Duke will not be traded for a sixth, can confirm.

Edited by NudeTayne
Considering a 5th from a team that picks high

LJ Scott reminds me a lot of a Carlos Hyde type runner. More lumbering than agile, but can always get an extra yard or two out of power. He has some pop when he runs.

As far as Duke, I love the guy. However, if he really wants out and that could land us another player or a decent mid-rounder--then goodbye and I have no issue with Scott being the Kareem Hunt placeholder and RB3.  That or take advantage of training camp roster cuts and pick up a Wendell Smallwood/Alfred Blue type off the scrap heap for nothing.

Duke is cool, but hes not good enough to lose sleep over trying to find his replacement. Rotational RBs are a dime a dozen.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

LJ Scott reminds me a lot of a Carlos Hyde type runner. More lumbering than agile, but can always get an extra yard or two out of power. He has some pop when he runs.

As far as Duke, I love the guy. However, if he really wants out and that could land us another player or a decent mid-rounder--then goodbye and I have no issue with Scott being the Kareem Hunt placeholder and RB3.  That or take advantage of training camp roster cuts and pick up a Wendell Smallwood/Alfred Blue type off the scrap heap for nothing.

Duke is cool, but hes not good enough to lose sleep over trying to find his replacement. Rotational RBs are a dime a dozen.

Blue sucks. 

Keep Duke if we cant get value for him. 

I hate having bad rbs.

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Blue sucks. 

Keep Duke if we cant get value for him. 

I hate having bad rbs.

Duke is not a good RB though lol Hes a good 3rd down back as a pass catcher but I have a feeling there is a reason multiple different regimes never gave him the ball to run in 5 years

Edited by AkronsWitness

34 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Duke is not a good RB though lol Hes a good 3rd down back as a pass catcher but I have a feeling there is a reason multiple different regimes never gave him the ball to run in 5 years

*gets out of the way of this one*

• Like 1

Just now, NudeTayne said:

*gets out of the way of this one*

Listen here Tayne lol

Im well documented on the get the ball to Duke more often train but that train hasnt arrived in years. But frankly, I dont want anybody on this team that doesnt want to be here. If he wants to go and you can get something decent for him than I would say go ahead. 

I guess I would feel differently if he wanted to be here but deleting all your social media of anything Browns and requesting a trade makes it easier for me to part ways.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Imprrically he is pretty good, good ypc, ypr, as a runner he gets stone walled a lot, but also uses vision and cutting to make good runs. 

He might not be great, but he is certainly better than a street free agent.

Edited by Kiwibrown
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

If it was fully torn like they reported, he would have required surgery to repair it properly

Fairly certain I read an article where he stated he could play the rest of his career without surgical intervention.   It was a minor tear near the shoulder.  

**EDIT**  Article stating will not require surgery:

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/JC-Tretter-Larry-Ogunjobi-will-not-require-surgery-127217063/

Edited by Tomahawk

6 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Meh, Scott went undrafted for a reason and was still available out there for a reason. I’m cool with the signing but think it’s still likely an uphill battle for him here. 

All it takes is one team to believe in you,  just because he was undrafted doesn't mean much in todays game, all that matters is the talent/skillset he possesses and him being able to maximize on the opportunity he has. Remember, just 10 years ago Arian Foster went undrafted as well with the same physical dimensions and had a pretty decent career (obviously not calling him the same). With that being said, I do agree he has an uphill battle, but maybe him going undrafted will humble him tremendously and takes this opportunity seriously, low risk, high reward.