2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

On 5/15/2019 at 3:00 PM, mistakey said:

lol darnolds career is over

gase is the interim gm and

Sam is screwed. Let’s give a guy who just got fired GM responsibilities. 

New York Jets CEO Christopher Johnson had reservations about retaining Mike Maccagnan as general manager after the season.

But the firing of Maccagnan is believed to have been triggered by Adam Gase winning a passive-aggressive power struggle.

Gase tried to distance himself from the Jets' draft decisions even before it began. Gase rarely gave input on trade possibilities or prospects. Gase never fought for or objected to any of Maccagnan's picks.

Gase was believed to have been angered by Maccagnan not seeking his opinion on any decisions during organizational discussions.

“It pissed Adam off,” a team source said. “Mike didn’t want him to speak up too much. It’s a weird philosophy.”

Maccagnan didn't want the Jets' scouts influenced by Gase's opinion. 

Gase will now essentially hand pick the next general manager of the Jets.

“I don’t think he wants to screw a lot of people over,” one Jets employee said of Gase. “Because he feels like he already kind of did that.”

Edited by candyman93

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, apparently Gase didn’t want to pay Leveon or Mosley as much as they did and that was a huge issue between them.

Cant say I disagree with him.

If that qualifies him to be a GM then I’ll be expecting my interview any day now. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, apparently Gase didn’t want to pay Leveon or Mosley as much as they did and that was a huge issue between them.

Cant say I disagree with him.

I’m okay with what Bell got paid. He will take a ton of pressure off of Sam.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We’ll have to disagree on this one.

Id never pay a RB that kind of money.  Any RB.

9 mil against the cap this year and 15.5 next. Then he will probably be done and he won't have any more guaranteed money so an easy cut/trade. Too much money? Probably but they have plenty for awhile so it wasn't a bad idea to grab a top 3 RB and give him money that would be unused otherwise the next two years.

Now the negative is that he was a different back in 2017 and lost the one thing (determination) that made him special. Maybe he can get it back or maybe his usage has put a toll on his body and he can't refuse to go down anymore because his body won't allow it. My guess is he just isn't going to be special anymore. My guess is he will catch a lot of passes and be a pedestrian back running the ball. In that regard I would say it was either a bad or at least a high risk signing even though there isn't really a monetary risk because they have more than enough cap room to spare, it is really only risky as a failed business move which is public opinion of the GM if the owner has his back. Obviously that wouldn't have been the case since he has already been canned but allowing him to make those moves prior to releasing him is just a bad idea because of the direction he was taking him doesn't seem aligned with googly eyes and there is no one the owner can hold accountable for failures if it is regarding moves made this off season.

I have no idea what my point is. I think I'm saying I don't like the signing but it also improved the team and has no negative cap consequences so technically it is a positive move. Seems like a wishy washy fence sitting kind of opinion. Vote Thomas in 2020.

• Like 1

I’m interested to see how the safety room shakes out by the final 53. 

Jermaine Whitehead being in preliminary plans is starting to make some sense, as he was in GB as a guy with a role when Highsmith and Wolf were in town. Then you have the Burnett connection, and Randall is a given. Redwine and Murray are your other 2. Usually you keep 4 safeties. To me right now, Murray could be the odd man out in final cuts. The second most likely cut to me is Morgan Burnett, if he were to lose out on the starting job. I have a hard time seeing any of those other guys getting released.

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’m interested to see how the safety room shakes out by the final 53. 

Jermaine Whitehead being in preliminary plans is starting to make some sense, as he was in GB as a guy with a role when Highsmith and Wolf were in town. Then you have the Burnett connection, and Randall is a given. Redwine and Murray are your other 2. Usually you keep 4 safeties. To me right now, Murray could be the odd man out in final cuts. The second most likely cut to me is Morgan Burnett, if he were to lose out on the starting job. I have a hard time seeing any of those other guys getting released.

Don't rule out Hassell.

Kid is going to be a star, imho.