2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

4 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

If you are wanting the Browns to address a true edge rusher then I would be weary of Za'Darius Smith. Not because I think he is going to be a bust free agent or he is not a good player or anything, but because he's not really a very productive edge. I watched tons of him about a week ago because he was my #1 realistic DE target and I was caught off guard with what I saw. Za'Darius vast amount of splash plays and production came from lining up on the guard and when it didn't was often a had slant or stunt to the inside against a guard or even center. There simply is not enough evidence of him being able to routinely beat NFL OT's off the edge. 

I am still 100% down with signing Za'Darius Smith but I don't think it would satisfy the need for another edge defender in the draft preferably with one of our Top 3 picks. I just don't believe in Ogbah anymore and I defended him greatly coming into this season. It was make or break and he never took a step, well, he did take a step but it was in the wrong direction.

I'm not saying it as if it was my guy, just as an option if we don't get our #1 or #2 guy

- Plus i'm saying this in lieu of us taking another guy in the draft, I think we need to redesign our DL room

15 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Schobert lead the league in missed tackles. He doesn’t have anything nailed down. Sho needs to work around others not the other way around. 

Everyone was missing tackles on our defense. Schobert missed more after he returned from injury it seemed to me. But, yes, he has the middle locked down. His coverage in the deep middle was Urlacher-esque. He's got impressive range from sideline to sideline, especially when healthy. And he's got a great mind for running the defense. Grass is always greener, right?

1 hour ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I cannot see why the Jets would trade Williams so as of now I have him as an unrealistic option. I would love it though.

Also why would Washington trade Scheriff?

Myles Jack is too cheap and too young for Jacksonville to trade away when they are about to purge a bunch of that roster and save a boat load of cap space. I looked at Jacksonville for trade opportunities. Jack is too young and not a locker room issue. Jalen Ramsey has been rubbing a lot of people the wrong way as well as Leonard Fournette(obviously don't want him). I looked at Telvin Smith but it they would only save 4 million and have 8 million in dead money. Malik Jackson was an option I would like but being 30 it wouldn't be near a 1st or 2nd like Leonard Williams. I would be willing to give one of our 5th rounders since they are going to cut him anyway. Marcell Dareus can be traded and save them 10 million with 0 cap hit. They are looking to rebuild and change the culture. I can see him getting traded and I would take him. He hasn't been anything special of late but he is only 28 and would be under contract for 3 years with easy outs in all 3 years as he would come with a 0 cap hit should we cut him proving us with great depth and more time to build the roster while leaving us with tons of flexibility for the future.

Gerald McCoy is another guy being talked about as being cut. He is older but better and more productive and he also has 3 years left on his contract with a 0 cap penalty should we cut him in any of those 3 years. His salaries are also lower than Dareus although not by much. Given his age I would still be willing to through in a 5th possible even out 4th because the flexibility over the next 3 season would be better than if we signed him as a FA as I am sure with the new contact even with a reduced salary would not allow us out so easily with 0 dead cap hit.

I doubt Baltimore would deal with us but a RFA I want to trade for is Michael Pearce. Dominant run defender and only 26. Would be cheap for this year and being that he has never started and the devaluing of run stuffers in the league would could probably sign him 3-4 years fairly cheap before he hit UFA next season.

Teams do a lot of stupid stuff. Trading Leonard Williams would fall into that category. As did trading Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper to teams likely to have later first round draft picks. 

I added him to the list simply due to media speculation all season that the Jets might be willing to do so, as well as Williams meeting the criteria for such trades that I laid out. I did not say my list of players were exhaustive (the list players were those that immediately came to mind).

Jalen Ramsey is a good one that I forgot about. What would you be willing to give up for him right now as your maximum offer?? Much like Leonard Williams I'd be comfortable letting go of our 1st rounder if Ramsey passed all of our tests for assessing if a player is worthy to be a part of our organization longterm.

I never once said that Washington would trade Scheriff or that Jacksonville would trade Myles Jack. They were simply players off the top of my head that were heading into their final contract year that were quality players between 24-28 on teams with potential cap issues or fall into the potential disgruntled player category.

In Sheriff's case, he'll likely be franchised, but he is not happy with Washington and his relationship has been strained. Myles Jack's case requires a lot of other things to happen... much like Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack knee issue could make the Jags lowball him on his second contract causing a strained relationship or they may simply let him walk. I remember during the draft it was suggested that Jack's knee issue would influence him negatively in 5 years and would influence his second contract.

He could become a cap casualty in the event that the Jags go all in at QB in Free Agency or via trade, Campbell is resigned, Jalen Ramsey is given a top 5 contract, Fournette is resigned, they make a big run at a highly regarded Offensive lineman and WR. In that case, a LB with knee issues will likely be devalued relative to those other key positions no matter how much they like that LB and especially if they have another alpha LB in the room to build a LB corps around.

You're right about Dareus and McCoy, but I wasn't considering that we'd be willing to roster build with player 30 years old plus at this stage of our roster composition... not yet at least, but I'd love to make such trades for a McCoy type.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

Any interest?

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

I'd definitely prefer someone younger, but if he's the best we can do, then go for it. I absolutely do not trust Joseph going forward.

25 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Well, I'm in.

Anyone know what his numbers looked like outside of the dome?

23 hours ago, cortes02 said:

Does anyone think Jamie Collins would restructure if he was asked?

Peace!!!

I looked all day yesterday for a website where I found this to be able to link it and answer your question but I cannot relocate it.

Jamie Collins maximum restructure saving would be 4,647,500 million. (Apparently there are rules/guidelines and such that the NFL says restructures need to fall under). With only 4 million in savings and us not really needed it badly right now I wouldn't restructure as it would undoubtedly mean money being moved to later years when we will be up against the cap more due to resigning our core.

We would cut or trade him pre June 1 and save 9.5 million or we could cut trade him post June 1 and save 10.5 mill and for that extra million I would prefer just to cut/trade him pre June 1 so the cap hit doesn't effect next year when we will need the money more.

My#1 option of choice is that we keep him this year and still add to the linebacker corps and he becomes a situational/role player. A part time role allows a lot of players to give more effort when they are on the field.

• Like 1