Sign in to follow this  
Dolphinmeister

Checking the fan pulse at the halfway mark

Halfway mark and what are your thoughts on the season and the franchise.

I think .500 will be a good goal. I have began to lose faith in Gase and his system. Gase is a 500 coach the same as Philbin and Sparano with the biggest difference for me being  that Gase l he has had the better talent to coach of the three. Gase is going to be a mirror of Sparano a great first year and then tons of excuses why that success cannot be reached again and it is a matter of how many 5 to 8 win seasons the owner will be happy with until a move is made..

Miami needs a franchise QB but I have no way of knowing how that will happen.  Gase  will not step outside of his comfort zone when it comes to coaches and players it seems he almost always goes with friends and former co-workers.

I am resolved to the fact now that it will basically be a win one lose one franchise with the powers that are in control at this point, but I have become used to that as a loyal Dolphins fan and will be watching every week  as I fuss at the T.V repeatedly with you've got to be kidding, how stupid, what an idiot , this team is junk, why is no one covering that guy and my favorite 11 yards and a cloud of air.  With all this 30 minutes after the game I am already looking forward to next weeks game.

Only real bummer is the Bengals game. Rest of the season is about that we expected, other than beating the Bears and losing to the Lions. Really just a flip-flop there as the end result is the 4-4 record we expected anyway.

Eight games to go, here's where the season actually gets interesting...handle some bizness and a wildcard spot is within reach. Same scenario for a boatload of other teams though. Luckily the rest of the regular season offers a bye week, divisional and conference opponents, plus two NFC North games up for grabs. When the dust settles I think we'll look back and see the Bengals loss was the backbreaker regarding a potential playoff spot. When you're up 17-0 in the 2nd half on the road like that Cincy game, you *must* win. If you collapse in the blink of an eye to lose 27-17, you're prolly sitting at home when the playoffs begin. 

Edited by FinSting

1 hour ago, FinSting said:

When you're up 17-0 in the 2nd half on the road like that Cincy game, you *must* win. If you collapse in the blink of an eye to lose 27-17, you're prolly sitting at home when the playoffs begin. 

That is another trend with Gase over the years, Miami seems it can only play one half of good defense and offense per game, no particular half just random each game and to me that is poor coaching when you cannot adjust to the game on the fly so to speak.

Still holding out hope tho, it's the NFL and any crazy thing can happen. 

1 hour ago, FinSting said:

Still holding out hope tho, it's the NFL and any crazy thing can happen. 

I am with you. There are not many things better then meaningful Dolphin games after Thanksgiving.

I was predicting 11-5 this year with some good breaks but that was when they actually had a starting QB. Just sucks when half the team including the QB are out with injuries while the season is still young. 

Listening to Gase, it appears that his biggest downfall is him placing allot of trust in players, and not expecting things to go sideways. He 100% trusted that Tannehill would return in his 2016 form and contribute with his arms and his legs. When Tannehill got injured, it was a slap in the face to Gase, who is now scrambling to save the season. The same can be said about the defense, he assumed that the DT's and LB's would hit the ground running. Once the defense started to struggle, he didn't have an answer. He doesn't seem to like making roster adjustments during the season. His defense of Tannehill is the perfect example, Gase will ride with Tannehill this season as long as he can play, because in his mind he wants to prove all of the doubters wrong. I think that this is a negative to having a coach who doesn't control the roster. Because Gase isn't involved in scouting, he only sees the team in front of him. We either need a GM with a clear vision that can lead the front office, or we need a HC with full control over the entire team, including personnel. The problem is I don't know if that type of HC is out there. I saw a graphic that showed that in the last 5 years, only 4 HC hired in that time have been successful. The Browns have already beaten the rest of the NFL to the punch and fired their HC. With a young team, and a young franchise QB, they will be very attractive.

I feel Gase has a system that he wants to run and he tries to get players that fit that system and until he gets every right  piece  of the puzzle healthy and on the field at the same time ( which he never will) Miami will not be a perineal winner. New England has a better system, they spend the first 2 to 4 games every season adjusting the system they run to the talent they have that year and then start rolling. I know Brady is the big anchor that makes that easier every year in New England but teams that win 9 plus games and make the playoffs more often then not know how to adjust to any circumstances they are dealt each season and play accordingly.

40 games is a good sample, but Gase has had a lot of different and weird things go sideways over his first 2.5 seasons. Barring a complete collapse I would rather he returned for 2019.