Pre-Season Week 2 GDT : Falcons @ Steelers

steelcurtain29

Just now, jebrick said:
  1. This team will miss Timmons...a lot
  2. Cockrell is the weak point of the secondary
  3. followed by William Gay
  4. followed by Michell

I think we will miss Timmons mainly because we dont have an adequate replacement for him...not because he was THAT good.

The last 3 I completely agree with.  

37 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

With Jarvis gone, I think Cockrell will be the bane of everyone's existence this year.

I think that will change on a week to week basis, to be honest.   I dont think he will be this years Antwon Blake.....I think Cockrell, Gay and Mitchell will share that throne throughout the season.   Better hope our pass rush is fierce.   

Reactions to the first half:  (didn't watch the second half or check the box score)

Conner looks good going north-south, not as much east-west.  Had at least one drop.  So-so debut

Cockrell got burned a couple of times.  He looks like he packed on some muscle but left wondering if he is a man corner.

Chick looked pretty good, got some nice pressures and a sack.

VW and Dirty Red were aggressive clogging up the middle and making plays

Coates looked pretty good - all fingers seemed to be in place. 

Watt looked Ok nothing too special - was gassed at the end of the 2nd quarter

Hubbard looked pretty good at RT on the play I watched him

Bryant looked good on the back shoulder catch but rusty on the stumble & fumble.  

Didn't see the play where Hargrave got hurt - hoping it's nothing serious.

Nice special teams play with two deflected/blocked punts.  Knile Davis had a return fumble but also a ST tackle.  Dangerfield made a nice play.

Toussant looks better than last year.  I might prefer him to Davis on KR.  

Tuitt is beastly

That's about all I got...

1. Cockrell's feet are maybe the worse I've seen since Mackensie Alexander. His side of the field will be mostly zone as Burns is an in your face type press CB with good feet and hands.

2. Williams and Matakevich looked like trash. Late to react, slow to get off blocks, too slow to get to the edge and not impressive in zone. They weren't impressive.

3. Dobbs throws too high. He was under constant duress but his throws were short and off. Bad game especially the ugly interception.

4. Connor running looked good after he quit the silly spin move and trying to be a jitterbug. Quick to and through the hole.

4. Watt was so not impressive. Sealed easily and pass rush was none existent against scrub OL. Bring that hype train back to its stable.

5. LJ Fort is a gamer. Was impressed with him last week but this week was even more impressive. Plays nasty and hit the holes hard stuffing the RBs. Solid in pass pro and brought some intensity to the defense. I prefer him starting next to Shazier. As time goes on, he just might get to start.

6. Farrington Hugueminn and Anthony Chickillo collapsed the pocket really well. Chickillo actually looks and plays faster than all the other passrushers.

7. Mike Hilton is a stud!

8. #80 TE will make the team. Great blocker back to back weeks. May be the best blocking TE on the team.

9. Dangerfield was around the ball and got 2 interceptions. Solid game.

10. Hard to evaluate the WRs due to bad QB play today.

11. Trey Williams with some nice punt returns. They should allow him to try kicks returns also.

26 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

1. Cockrell's feet are maybe the worse I've seen since Mackensie Alexander. His side of the field will be mostly zone as Burns is an in your face type press CB with good feet and hands.

2. Williams and Matakevich looked like trash. Late to react, slow to get off blocks, too slow to get to the edge and not impressive in zone. They weren't impressive.

3. Dobbs throws too high. He was under constant duress but his throws were short and off. Bad game especially the ugly interception.

4. Connor running looked good after he quit the silly spin move and trying to be a jitterbug. Quick to and through the hole.

4. Watt was so not impressive. Sealed easily and pass rush was none existent against scrub OL. Bring that hype train back to its stable.

5. LJ Fort is a gamer. Was impressed with him last week but this week was even more impressive. Plays nasty and hit the holes hard stuffing the RBs. Solid in pass pro and brought some intensity to the defense. I prefer him starting next to Shazier. As time goes on, he just might get to start.

6. Farrington Hugueminn and Anthony Chickillo collapsed the pocket really well. Chickillo actually looks and plays faster than all the other passrushers.

7. Mike Hilton is a stud!

8. #80 TE will make the team. Great blocker back to back weeks. May be the best blocking TE on the team.

9. Dangerfield was around the ball and got 2 interceptions. Solid game.

10. Hard to evaluate the WRs due to bad QB play today.

11. Trey Williams with some nice punt returns. They should allow him to try kicks returns also.

armsteeld, nice to see you back in the fold.  Props for making the early call on Mike Hilton.  (You've had a few Lemons over the years, but you got that one!) ;)  Get that?

Agree with most of it but calling VW and Matakevich trash is a bit over the top, I think.  Though I didn't see the first TD drive by ATL so can't speak to that.  I thought they were around the ball a lot in the first half.  (Didn't see the 2nd.)  What I did notice was quite a few missed tackles from Burns and assorted others.  

McGee's blocking has been impressive, but who is he knocking off the 53?  

It seems like our defense usually looks worse in the preseason than it ends up being in the regular season.     Im not saying our defense will be good this year, but almost every year since Ive been on this site (almost 11 years....wow!!!), we as fans are always complaining about the defense, and most years, its better than it looked in the preseason.   Aside from playing vanilla defense and some players worried about getting hurt, I dont think some players, especially young ones, really get to settle in and get used to the real defense and the players around them until the regular season rolls around.

Bottom line....good or bad, I usually take most of what I see in preseason with a grain of salt.   There are some things you can definitely take away from it, but its not the be all-end all..

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

It seems like our defense usually looks worse in the preseason than it ends up being in the regular season.     Im not saying our defense will be good this year, but almost every year since Ive been on this site (almost 11 years....wow!!!), we as fans are always complaining about the defense, and most years, its better than it looked in the preseason.   Aside from playing vanilla defense and some players worried about getting hurt, I dont think some players, especially young ones, really get to settle in and get used to the real defense and the players around them until the regular season rolls around.

Bottom line....good or bad, I usually take most of what I see in preseason with a grain of salt.   There are some things you can definitely take away from it, but its not the be all-end all..

Yea, I think the main reason, as you said, is that they play a very vanilla defense. The Steelers rely on a lot of hidden pressure and coverages, which they don't seem to like to show in the preseason.

Vanilla or not, Cockrell was beaten repeatedly by 3rd/4th/5th string WRs. Many of the completions were on quick 2-3 step drops. Pressure isn't going to be there anyway. CBs don't play Vanilla Defense. They cover the Man they're facing to the best of their ability. His best was very very bad. 

Timmons won't be missed.  A decent replacement will be though.  Timmons was over the hill and 2 steps slow last year.  

Fort looks like a good replacement to me, or at least the best candidate.  

Watt didn't look good in pass rush, but he did set the edge against the run very well on a few plays.  He was really good at smart, positional playing, but not splash type plays.  

Conner's first carry you could just tell he has way more talent than Toussaint.  He was horrible at catching the ball though.  He looked like a solid runner though.  

Bryant looked bad and those WR reverses were horribly executed.  We'll see how things work with Ben back there instead.  

The D, especially pass coverage, was horrible early on, even to the 3rd string QB.  

McGee looks like a quality player.  

Matakevich looked like hell.  

Chickillo looked solid.  

All 3 DL look like studs if they can stay healthy.  By far the strength of the D right there.  

Archived