Midseason Evaluations and Notes

AFlaccoSeagulls

4 hours ago, ravens5520 said:

Nobody is paying Collins any big contract lol. He’s a RFA if you can read... I bet we tender him as a 3rd round value tag. No chance I’m signing Collins to a long term deal. Our offensive line hasn’t helped any RB in this committee. It’s not like Collins is the only one struggling to find running lanes. Now with both tackles out, I expect more Allen Sunday. Even though Collins has shown great run after the catch moves. 

Mosley being re-signed is up in the air. Was he not injured a few weeks ago and thought to be out for the season? I didn’t know 8 weeks was a full season. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt that he turns it around. Sunday will be a true testament.

Signing a WR - you’re right, I can give you 2-3 names but why? We tend to find key signings from teams that make cap casualty cuts. So who knows what big names will become a free agent. Tate would be nice, but we need a big body on the outside if we do let Crabtree walk. Although I could probably retract him on my list of cuts. He just offers a large salary in savings. 

@diamondbull424

Cool. I thought you were saying that we needed to lock up those RFAs to long term deals. You allude to our “future needs with that money” and thus it made sense that there is where you were going. Especially since you only listed Pierce and Collins and didn’t include other RFA guarantees such as Peanut and SJB, likely also includes Grasu.

I guess I’m struggling to understand what you were trying to get across in your post then. You say “resign Mosley” yet when questioned you say “well it’s up in the air”; than when questioned about how you would spend $70m of freed up cash to replace gutting the team, your response is indeterminable because of cap casualties that could come available from other teams.

I mean, what’s the point of offering a “plan” if you have no idea how said plan would even work or an idea of how you expect it to unfold other than cutting players that make up our strongest unit minus ST, our secondary.

Another no story from rapaport. we know it's a playoff or very very close to it season, nothing changed about that. Lamar not progressing fast enough shouldn't be harbaughs fault.

If flacco was crapping the bed and we didn't try Lamar it would be a different story, but flacco has played well with an all new cast and no running game.

Even with a loss we could still turn it around, and I believe it would take the 8 loss of the season to make any change

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

It's pretty clear he just talked to one person in the organization, who doesn't seem to have congruent thoughts, and there's a bunch of speculation in there that doesn't hold any accountable predictive value. "They are not planning to move on from Harbaugh mid-season, but they could, but also he's signed through 2019". The weigh whether to move on from Harbaugh after 2017 bit, I can 100% guarantee, is based on that same Biscotti quote that that the entire nfl media world is basing the Harbaugh hot seat storyline on. 

The Lamar Jackson bit is just... what?.. It's just some guy who wants to paint a negative picture for whatever reason. 

Lost in all the firing talk is this-

If the team doesn't believe they have a candidate in line that is a clear upgrade to Harbaugh, he isn't going anywhere.

For all of his shortcomings, John has proven to be significantly better than the majority of people that have become Head Coaches. Biscotti isn't looking to punish Harbaugh, he's looking to make us the best football team possible. Firing John and replacing him with some scrub would be moronic. Contrary to every NFL fan base's majority thoughts, these special coaches don't grow on trees. Every Fan: "We need tuh fire our coach and replace hem with a Sean McVay type, you know a young prodigy wizard genius".

How many recent coaching hires have made you go, "Damn, I wish we could have fired Harbaugh and replaced him with that guy"..? 

I'm all for breathing new life and a new energy into the Club with a new coach, and I'm sure Decosta will attract the best names possible. However, the best names of any given year during hiring season aren't in any way equal, and I'm not looking to fall into the Coaching Carousel so many other franchises have. If it's David Shaw, perfect. If it's anything/anyone less, ?

5 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

If the team doesn't believe they have a candidate in line that is a clear upgrade to Harbaugh, he isn't going anywhere.

For all of his shortcomings, John has proven to be significantly better than the majority of people that have become Head Coaches. Biscotti isn't looking to punish Harbaugh, he's looking to make us the best football team possible. Firing John and replacing him with some scrub would be moronic. Contrary to every NFL fan base's majority thoughts, these special coaches don't grow on trees. Every Fan: "We need tuh fire our coach and replace hem with a Sean McVay type, you know a young prodigy wizard genius".

How many recent coaching hires have made you go, "Damn, I wish we could have fired Harbaugh and replaced him with that guy"..? 

I'm all for breathing new life and a new energy into the Club with a new coach, and I'm sure Decosta will attract the best names possible. However, the best names of any given year during hiring season aren't in any way equal, and I'm not looking to fall into the Coaching Carousel so many other franchises have. If it's David Shaw, perfect. If it's anything/anyone less, ?

Can you elaborate on what makes John Harbaugh a special coach?

Just now, DreamKid said:

I was referring to McVay as a special coach. 

Ah, gotcha. My mistake. 

I do agree that we shouldn't just fire Harbaugh to fire Harbaugh, but ultimately when the organization is stagnating and it's clear we're peaking as a .500 team, what else is there to do? There is really no shortage on coaches around college or the NFL, especially young guys who are up-and-coming. If the organization can't spend the time to do their research on these things, they don't deserve to have a good coach in the first place. It's not like Harbaugh is some rare breed of coach that can't be replaced.

I wish I spent more time evaluating coaches and being involved in the "who is up and coming" bit, but I know there are names out there - we just need to find them.

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I wish I spent more time evaluating coaches and being involved in the "who is up and coming" bit, but I know there are names out there - we just need to find them.

It's a scary proposition. Can you believe Greg Olsen was getting HC hype before Gruden hired him? So many fraudulent MFs out there.

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

It's a scary proposition. Can you believe Greg Olsen was getting HC hype before Gruden hired him? So many fraudulent MFs out there.

It really is, and NFL teams are SO committed a well to just hiring retreads or familiar names like Schottenheimer or Gruden, yet the most successful new coaching talents are guys who aren't those retreads.

IMHO, find out whatever the hell Philly or the Rams did to discover McVay and Pederson and use that method to find another young HC with modern philosophies who can develop talent. Harbaugh might be a decent personnel manager, but he's clearly not a guy who can develop talent or recognize competent coaches around him.

28 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

It's not like John Harbaugh was an obvious replacement/upgrade back in 2008. Hell, he wasn't even our first choice, Garrett was and he turned us down. But things had gone stale with Billick and the organization needed to take a risk on somebody new. We're basically in the same situation again with things having stagnated under Harbaugh. We'll benefit from a new approach, and we'll likely benefit from bringing in a head coach who brings with him an actual scheme/X's and O's background. Even if Lincoln Riley is a pipedream, someone like John DeFilippo or Matt Campbell would be a really interesting/exciting pick. 

2 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

We'll benefit from a new approach, and we'll likely benefit from bringing in a head coach who brings with him an actual scheme/X's and O's background. Someone like John DeFilippo would be a really interesting/exciting pick. 

I don't disagree. Back then we were facing a rebuild though, we aren't now. It isn't hard to picture the FO being unwilling to apply the same risk with the current roster. 

I think the podcast "Man of the crowd" that Sarah Ellison made really put both Bisciottis and Harbaughs approach and philosophy into perspective. They both share a vast believe in culture and maintaining personel they believe in rather than the fire/hire approach. What some view as conservative, they view is contingency which is necessary if you want to build and keep a culture in a building. That worked for Harbaugh from he got here until now hence that Baltimore is one of the most consistent teams in the league. We have once drafted in the top after a 5-11 season where everybody including the quarterback was injured, and in all the seasons where we didn't get into the playoffs, we where 1 W away from claiming a spot.

I think everybody has a feeling now, that we are maintaining status quo and we want to see the team get over the hump, but it only takes a few wrinkles and a few plays to go the right way for us to get where we want to go. That is a huge difference compared to more than half of the NFL teams which have constant roller coaster rides.

Harbaugh and Flacco have somewhat survived based on that fact, but as we saw with the Lamar Jackson pick, Bisciotti is getting ready for a change if he believes we are going more towards a 6-10 season rather than the opposite. I bet, that if we fire Harbaugh after the season, a team like the Browns will gladly pick him up.

3 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I don't disagree. Back then we were facing a rebuild though, we aren't now. It isn't hard to picture the FO being unwilling to apply the same risk with the current roster. 

I think we're closer to being in a rebuilding sitaution than we were in 2008. Back then we were a year removed from a 13 win season when we fired Billick and had several all-time great players on the defensive side of the ball in the prime of their careers in Ray, Ed, and Suggs. We're much closer to being in a rebuilding scenario now than we were back then with guys like Suggs/Weddle/Jimmy all in decline and a 1st round franchise QB already in the building.

Archived