Midseason Evaluations and Notes

AFlaccoSeagulls

Just now, BaltimoreTerp said:

I think we're closer to being in a rebuilding sitaution than we were in 2008. Back then we were a year removed from a 13 win season when we fired Billick and had several all-time great players on the defensive side of the ball in the prime of their careers in Ray, Ed, and Suggs. We're much closer to being in a rebuilding scenario now than we were back then with guys like Suggs/Weddle/Jimmy all in decline and a 1st round franchise QB already in the building.

I think of it as a complete opposite. I think we are so primed for the next couple of years with a group of young players who should warrant second contracts. In two years we could be without Flacco, Yanda, Crapbag, Suggs, Weddle, Smith, Carr and unless we bring in veterans the entire team would be of players below 30 but plenty of them would have lots of experience.

4 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

We're much closer to being in a rebuilding scenario now than we were back then with guys like Suggs/Weddle/Jimmy all in decline and a 1st round franchise QB already in the building.

I consider that transition rather than rebuild. We have the pieces in place to not only stand firm, but also ascend. Jimmy is no longer our best corner. Suggs doesn't play as big of a role and has good players behind him. There isn't going to be a drop off. 

Really all we have to rebuild is the offensive line.

Just now, DreamKid said:

I consider that transition rather than rebuild. We have the pieces in place to not only stand firm, but also ascend. Jimmy is no longer our best corner. Suggs doesn't play as big of a role and has good players behind him. There isn't going to be a drop off. 

Really all we have to rebuild is the offensive line.

Yeah, I think we're sort of saying the same thing in a way. I agree it's more of a transition than a rebuild, but I do think that this sort of transition point makes it an ideal time to start fresh on the coaching side. 

26 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Harbaugh might be a decent personnel manager, but he's clearly not a guy who can develop talent or recognize competent coaches around him.

Outside of Special Teams(His Background), I don't see how this can be argued.

Ray and Ed staved off the Peespocalypse, and Playoff Flacco got us a ring out of a Caldwell called/Cameron built offense. Only Kubiak has bucked the trends after. 

I think sometimes Harbaugh's biggest problem and this is probably a systemic thing within the organization, is that he overvalues continuity. In the sense that, in addition to finding coordinators who he has previous connections and familiarity with, it seems at times he goes out of his way to target older coaches who are much less likely to get poached or hired for a head coaching job at this point in their careers, i.e. see what happened with Kubiak - the lone exception. And from an organizational standpoint, beyond the scope of football, I understand the merits of doing it. However, given the nature of the beast and the level of competition in the NFL, it just doesn't make sense to keep going with retreads and fall further and further behind the curve.

26 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I think sometimes Harbaugh's biggest problem and this is probably a systemic thing within the organization, is that he overvalues continuity. In the sense that, in addition to finding coordinators who he has previous connections and familiarity with, it seems at times he goes out of his way to target older coaches who are much less likely to get poached or hired for a head coaching job at this point in their careers, i.e. see what happened with Kubiak - the lone exception. And from an organizational standpoint, beyond the scope of football, I understand the merits of doing it. However, given the nature of the beast and the level of competition in the NFL, it just doesn't make sense to keep going with retreads and fall further and further behind the curve.

And in this sense, I think this lends more credibility to the idea that if we move on from Harbaugh, we need to find a coach like Carroll or Belichick where the system is the Head Coaches system and not the coordinator - thus if the coordinator performs poorly the system stays in place and you can find someone else to call the plays.

With Kubiak, that was obviously HIS offensive system, not Harbaugh's. With Rex Ryan, that was HIS defensive system, not Harbaugh's. Same with Chuck, and Pees, and now Martindale.

If we can find a coach who has a great offensive or defensive philosophy/system, we should be able to survive coordinator changes more easily and not have to go out of our way for continuity for fear of changing systems again with a new coordinator because Harbaugh has no offensive/defensive system.

24 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

To add on to this, this problem is really exacerbated by the fact that Harbaugh himself doesn't' really offer anything in terms of scheming/playcalling.

A good coach shouldn't be this dependent on his assistants the way Harbaugh is, to the point where he can't really drive the process of building an offense or defense and honestly doesn't even seem to know what he wants, all the while picking his assistants from an inferior talent pool for the reasons you stated. Andy Reid can lose as many OC's as he wants and his offense will still be dynamic, because it's his scheming and expertise that drives that process, and because he is clearly always looking to keep up with and ahead of the times. You can't really say the same about Harbaugh. He may try to stay ahead of the curve on bigger picture things (ie. going for it on 4th down, etc.) but when it comes to solving scheme issues, what expertise does he have to solve it? 

Would be a little odd, especially considering they aren't even training this week. 

Surely if you were going to start your rookie QB coming out of a bye week, you'd want to use all that time to give him as many reps as possible, not give all your players the weekend off

Archived