2019 Draft - The Quarterbacks

pwny

I figured it was time again to have a thread specifically about the QB prospects coming in. 

Herbert is likely to either go back to school or end up in New York. But the rest of the QBs in the class could easily end up in black and teal going forward.

Who are your favorites? Which bad one will we draft? How do they compare? 

Dwayne haskins looks good but honestly he probably needs another year. 

Tyree Jackson is kinda like the Josh allen for this years draft. big arm, big size, good athleticism but the completion percentage is ew. 

Drew Lock is kinda like Patrick Mahomes coming out, you either hate him or love him. hes pretty raw but has good athleticism and a great arm. 

Ryan Finley is like a game manager type whos coming into the nfl overage(24).

On 28/10/2018 at 6:22 PM, Adrenaline_Flux said:

We're going to draft Nate Stanley so that he can continue hurting me.

-Real big and tall:  check.

-Looks like a "real quarterback" with that "intangible presence" in a meeting room:  check.

-Gets kinda squirrely and can pointlessly buy time in the pocket before making a bad throw or catastrophic decision:  check.

-No real apparent natural arm talent or accuracy to speak of: check.

-Goofy elongated release as icing on cake: check.

Yep.  They're drafting this feller.  He's our new QB of the future.

On 28/10/2018 at 8:15 PM, LinderFournette said:

Dwayne haskins looks good but honestly he probably needs another year. 

Tyree Jackson is kinda like the Josh allen for this years draft. big arm, big size, good athleticism but the completion percentage is ew. 

Drew Lock is kinda like Patrick Mahomes coming out, you either hate him or love him. hes pretty raw but has good athleticism and a great arm. 

Ryan Finley is like a game manager type whos coming into the nfl overage(24).

I don't really get any of these other than Finley really.

Tyree Jackson looks kinda like Josh Allen, in that he's a tall guy who can throw the ball far and has some accuracy issues.  But other than that...Jackson has a way slower process in all facets, a far less "live" arm, and comes out of a much friendlier system/situation.  He's just a big, kinda ponderous guy who isn't consistently accurate...with a good arm.  Basically Josh Allen, minus the freakish arm talent, quickness and sneaky athleticism, complexity of reads and responsibilities, and minus even more precision and touch.  So he's pretty much what "the h8ers" wanted to paint Josh Allen as.  ie. He's a probably a Paxton Lynch or Christian Hackenberg.

Drew Lock really doesn't remind me of Mahomes at all.  Lock's arm looks fine, but he doesn't have anything like the rocket Mahomes had.  Nor does he really seem to have that gunslinger mentality to really rip it downfield and trust his arm like that.  Plus, Lock manages to look jumpy, even in a system that doesn't actually ask him to manipulate a proper pocket.  It's eerily Gabbert-esque how frequently Lock just wilts away from even the slightest pressure, making terrible fade away throws off sketchy platforms.  Looks like maybe there's "something there" when he can just dink and dunk around easy throws without pressure...but i really don't want to do that whole thing again.  Picking a second Mizzou QB with basically the same profile and flaws in relatively rapid succession would just be...lol.

Haskins just looks like an extremely raw guy thriving on some high-end surrounding talent, by looking not as awful and low-upside as JT Barrett basically.

I do think this could work out to be a good QB year for our situation though.  There's no great bluechip "can't miss" high-end guys that i've seen...but we're not really going to be in that business anyway.  What this draft does seem to have, is 101 flavors of different "flawed" QB prospect with some real "upside".  Sort of Day2 guys that could potentially amount to something.  Which is probably exactly the sort of game we're going to be in anyway.

Personally, i'm still kinda partial to Clayton Thorson.  He's not exactly an electric athlete with an all world arm...but he's got plenty of functional mobility and an actual NFL caliber arm i think.  Mostly, he seems like a smart, reliable, fairly mechanically sound QB with pretty consistent placement, great anticipation, and a good delivery.  With good leadership skills and the ability to kinda "elevate" a program.  There's the injury, but i'm not that worried about it.  Overall, he just seems like a guy who may not have any amazing standout traits to drool over...but doesn't really have a lot of glaring weaknesses either.

I also tend to come away kinda impressed with Brett Rypien pretty much every time i've watched him.  He's a fair bit smaller than ideal and he doesn't have an amazing arm...but it looks fine, and every time i see him, he seems to have that real "gamer" quality to him.  Not afraid to make plays.  Maybe trusts his arm a bit too much at times and has a bit more gunslinger than ideal with those physical traits, but he's not reckless.  He spreads the ball around well, makes quick decisions and gets the ball out with pretty consistent timing, anticipation, and placement.  He's really going to get hammered on a "low upside" tag probably, but i like his chances at being at least a stopgap starter/game manager type.  Certainly more than some of the guys who are already basically limited "game managers" even at their respective college levels.

Still need to really dig in a lot deeper, on a lot more of these other guys too.  But casual looks seem like there are at least a few other intriguing guys too.

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I don't really get any of these other than Finley really.

Tyree Jackson looks kinda like Josh Allen, in that he's a tall guy who can throw the ball far and has some accuracy issues.  But other than that...Jackson has a way slower process in all facets, a far less "live" arm, and comes out of a much friendlier system/situation.  He's just a big, kinda ponderous guy who isn't consistently accurate...with a good arm.  Basically Josh Allen, minus the freakish arm talent, quickness and sneaky athleticism, complexity of reads and responsibilities, and minus even more precision and touch.  So he's pretty much what "the h8ers" wanted to paint Josh Allen as.  ie. He's a probably a Paxton Lynch or Christian Hackenberg.

Drew Lock really doesn't remind me of Mahomes at all.  Lock's arm looks fine, but he doesn't have anything like the rocket Mahomes had.  Nor does he really seem to have that gunslinger mentality to really rip it downfield and trust his arm like that.  Plus, Lock manages to look jumpy, even in a system that doesn't actually ask him to manipulate a proper pocket.  It's eerily Gabbert-esque how frequently Lock just wilts away from even the slightest pressure, making terrible fade away throws off sketchy platforms.  Looks like maybe there's "something there" when he can just dink and dunk around easy throws without pressure...but i really don't want to do that whole thing again.  Picking a second Mizzou QB with basically the same profile and flaws in relatively rapid succession would just be...lol.

Haskins just looks like an extremely raw guy thriving on some high-end surrounding talent, by looking not as awful and low-upside as JT Barrett basically.

i think Jacksons got some real potential but i wouldnt really touch him round 1 until like pick 32 so u get the 5th year option. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000937744/article/scouting-drew-lock-missouri-qb-similar-to-patrick-mahomes

He reminds me of: I see a lot of similarities to Patrick Mahomes when he was coming out of Texas Tech. Both guys have big arms and move around really well. They can extend plays with their athleticism and fit balls into tiny windows. However, like Mahomes, Lock needs to be more judicious with the football and cut down on the mistakes that are a result of overaggressiveness.

@LinderFournette I edited out the last line in your post. I know it wasn't a personal shot toward tuggy or anything so I'm not worried about that, but stuff like "I'll listen to a professional scout over you" is counterproductive to having a discussion and is overall a bit condescending.

If you have any questions, PM me. Otherwise, keep up the good discussion!

I'm not super excited about any quarterback in this draft, at least not at the moment. Looks like a rough year to need one. 

Drew Lock is my favorite outside of the dude from Oregon. He can sling it and won't be rushed along since we should have a pretty solid team next year and are probably going to be rolling out Bortles to start the year. I could see him fending off the rookie, whoever it is, for a while. 

13 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

i think Jacksons got some real potential but i wouldnt really touch him round 1 until like pick 32 so u get the 5th year option. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000937744/article/scouting-drew-lock-missouri-qb-similar-to-patrick-mahomes

I'd take Jackson at some point.  I'm honestly not sure when yet.  There are interesting tools there, and this isn't a Tanner Lee sort of situation.  Jackson is a legitimate quarterback prospect with upside.  But at this point...i'd have an extremely hard time justifying a 32nd pick even for that extra year option.  He's just...such a crapshoot.  So few of those QBs with size and slow feet, slow process ever "figure it out" consistently enough to be anything.  I just don't trust guys like that usually.

Same with Drew Lock.

Yeah, i usually really like to listen to what DJ has to say.  He's a smart football guy.  He's usually got a lot of good insight.  But if his final comp for Drew Lock is Pat Mahomes, i'm gonna have to totally disagree.  I just don't see it.

You have to remember, even "professional scouts" in the media business are always driven by clicks and attention.  And even beyond that...you'll get a hilarious range of different comps for each guy coming out.  I mean, pre-draft Mahomes was Brett Favre...and i have a really hard time related that to Drew Lock.  But right now, there isn't a hotter name to drop than Mahomes.  He's what everyone is now looking for.  That plays in, for sure...to extra clicks and attention and hype for the upcoming draft.

You also have to recognize that the article you're citing is from DJs early looks at lock, before this college season even started.  There's a long long road from there to the finish line.

I don't disagree that Lock has similar physical attributes to Mahomes, and that he's coming out of a system that invites similar criticism on the volume of stupid easy throws.  In that respect, he's a LOT like Mahomes.  As a prospect though, i see them pretty differently.  Lock seems to really lack those "potentially special" qualities that Mahomes had, to accompany his inconsistent play and decisionmaking.

Mahomes was a bigtime gunslinger.  Lock to me, is a small-time gunslinger.  He's a guy who gambles big, on small gains for no good reason.  Whereas Mahomes gambles big on big gains.  Such a totally different mentality to me.

Archived