2019 Free Agency Thread

Silver&Black88

What about calling up the Buccaneers who hired Arians/Bowles which implies the old Cardinals model of defense and ask about Gerald McCoy and LaVonte David? They are pretty classically 4-3 fits and with large cap numbers and no dead money. That would be $22.75mil a year. With that kind of cost [and  no penalty], the compensation can't be all that outrageous even though it's big name players. This is money the Buccs could then look towards the Cardinals and think about Patrick Peterson, and also apply to Tyrann Mathieu in FA if Arizona is still potentially dealing Peterson, or whatever other Bowles defensive fit makes sense. I'm not suggesting sending heavy compensation for these players, I think they may be inclined to consider cutting McCoy based off fit and cap number at 30 years old, but both McCoy and especially David would be phenomenal fits for our team.

Why McCoy when we have Maurice Hurst? They are both 3 technique under tackles? True. However our coordinator Paul Guenther has a tremendous number of exotic blitz typically deployed on third down which require two 9 technique defensive ends (or edge lb, or blitzing strong safety) as well as two interior or outside linebackers which either shoot or threat the double A gaps on each side of the Center. What makes this work is instead of running out a 1 technique nose tackle and a 3 technique under tackle (in a traditional 4-3 under) it uses two single gap 3 techniques more spread out as the Centers and Guards have to accept the LB shoot the A gaps threat. That means in at least 20 of Guenther blitz packages on third down, both McCoy and Hurst would play critical roles. PJ Hall is rotational help and depth at both positions, and if you review his college play (as I did this offseason briefly) he played a lot of 5technique base end as well so he could play in rotation in multiple packages at every gap other than 9 technique -- he isn't forgotten about in this potential move.

LaVonte David is perhaps the best fit for OLB in our system. He could rotate to interior for Bowles system, and do well, but it isn't as good a fit. The Cardinals however changed to 4-3 last year, and their new HC may or may not keep a more traditional defense, but prior to the change it was rumored Haason Reddick could be had for a mid round pick, which is doable considering they would have compensation from  us in exchange for David and McCoy, likewise Deone Bucannon is a FA and that would be a tandem from the Arians era reunited adding youth and system familiarity to the Buccaneers.

Base End: William Gholston
Nose Tackle: Vita Vea
Base End: Vinny Curry
Edge: Jason Pierre Paul
ILB: Haason Reddick
ILB: Deone Bucannon
Edge: Noah Spence ?, Carl Nassib

9T: ??? (Arden Key?)
3T: Gerald McCoy (5T: PJ Hall)
3T: Maurice Hurst (1T: Justin Ellis)
9T: ???
OLB: Lavonte David
MLB: ???
OLB: Tahir Whitehead

Thoughts?

10 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

Seeing Cj Anderson and Damien Williams go off (great offenses I understand) torpedo the logic of paying a Leveon Bell ?

Better to invest in the OL and WRs than go after L. Bell. Pickup a rookie RB with decent speed and it'll work itself out.

Well i agree that investing in OL and WR's would be a better way to go, but you are also depending on who becomes available. I rather spend money (in a front loaded contract) on a difference maker at RB then spending money on average guys at OL/WR.

15 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I’m still holding out hope that  Chris Warren III iwould develop into a battering ram of a RB.

That’s  what the Raiders are missing, someone that brings the safety into the box to open up the passing game.

He has no explosiveness to his game. Heavy footed plodder of a back. No team is filling the box to stop Warren. Just some more preseason fools gold IMO. Time to draft an actual back.

Josh Jacobs has impressed me the more I've watched. Reminds me of Kamara who I was pounding the table for. Shifty, good pass catcher, quick and decisive.

Archived