2019 Free Agency Thread

Silver&Black88

20 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

What is strong in this FA class is safety:

Thomas, Mathieu, Joyner, Collins, Amos, Reid, Ha-Ha, Boston

Yeah it’s a solid FA class, I hope we don’t reach for Thompson in the first. Better value in the mid rounds and he looked awful in the title game. FA would be a great option and allow us to add a vet to an otherwise young secondary especially if we got CB early. CB class>>>>S class

1 hour ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Yeah it’s a solid FA class, I hope we don’t reach for Thompson in the first. Better value in the mid rounds and he looked awful in the title game. FA would be a great option and allow us to add a vet to an otherwise young secondary especially if we got CB early. CB class>>>>S class

Nasir Adderley!  I absolutely love his style. Everything you want in a safety.  Except elite competition.  

15 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Just can't agree with this. Sorry to rehash all this again :) 

I understand the reasoning behind trading Mack for cap reasons but I think there are two huge holes in the logic. One is I don't think JG used that logic at all, more of move to assert his power and control over a player who didn't show up (for right or wrong) and then demanded much more than they initially thought.

Also, if we did sign Mack to a huge number similar to the Bears, then we wouldn't feel that hit till next year when Carr's cap hit actually goes down, and is around $22m for the next couple years. So, we'd be looking at $45m not $50m and also now would absolutely be the best time to have these two locked in as the cap number continues to rise and both pass rushers and QBs get bigger and bigger pay days. By 2020 for example, when we should be able to retool and genuinely challenge, Carr would be at $21.5m and Mack at $24m and the cap should have increased by $30m (using less than average figures) to around $197m. I fear we'll still be looking back in years and wondering what good value it would be.

Trading a HoF type pass rusher is such a rare move, I can't recall another trade like that (maybe there is one that escapes me) so to me, the compensation was very poor. Hall of fame players simply don't get traded at the height of their powers when they're still young. For those that say he wouldn't have made a huge difference I contend that he would have made all the difference - how many of us predicted the Bears would win the North? That was scoffed at and joked about pre-season, all our defensive players would have benefited from him on the team especially the rookies. It was quite literally the turning point in our season, Irvin would have played harder, guys wouldn't have quit and we would have had a positive vibe around us instead of the debacle that ensued. I think it mentally affected more than the DL too, the whole team looked shocked and rudderless.

I do however think the Cooper trade was a good one for the player and both teams involved, he simply wasn't a good fit here. I'd replace him in the draft with a guy like Harry, Brown or DK Metcalf in the late 1st.

Moving forward we have created two holes at pass rusher by getting rid of Irvin and Mack so we'll need a FA (Flowers is my best scenario) and also a draft pick, obviously hoping for Bosa but expecting a guy like Ferrell or Zach Allen. 

The way I see it, we had the same total defense rank without him... It was bad.

This team wasn't in a position to pay him 23 million. It would just cripple the roster with all the needs due to poor draft/develop.

This defense has been bad for as long as I can remember. So bad that I doubt Mack would have fixed it this year. In Chicago, he was the final piece. Here, he was a great player who's impact was limited by the trash around him. I'd rather have a young team with cheap picks than an aging mediocre team with cap devoted to highly paid players who are forced to try and cover for a lack of depth and overall talent.

We need to see how the trade plays out. If we can sign 2 good defensive starters for that 23 million, then add even reasonably good players with those 2 1sts on rookie deals, it could definitely be worth it. If the bears have a jacksonville like regression (crazier things have happened against a tough schedule), we could be looking at a good pick next year. Rarely is the NFL linear.

If you're a bad defense, would you rather have:

Anthony Barr, Haha Clinton Dix (from the 23 million in cap) and 2 1st rounders on rookie deals.

or Khalil Mack.

When your defense is bad, quantity>>>quality.

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The way I see it, we had the same total defense rank without him... It was bad.

This team wasn't in a position to pay him 23 million. It would just cripple the roster with all the needs due to poor draft/develop.

This defense has been bad for as long as I can remember. So bad that I doubt Mack would have fixed it this year. In Chicago, he was the final piece. Here, he was a great player who's impact was limited by the trash around him. I'd rather have a young team with cheap picks than an aging mediocre team with cap devoted to highly paid players who are forced to try and cover for a lack of depth and overall talent.

We need to see how the trade plays out. If we can sign 2 good defensive starters for that 23 million, then add even reasonably good players with those 2 1sts on rookie deals, it could definitely be worth it. If the bears have a jacksonville like regression (crazier things have happened against a tough schedule), we could be looking at a good pick next year. Rarely is the NFL linear.

If you're a bad defense, would you rather have:

Anthony Barr, Haha Clinton Dix (from the 23 million in cap) and 2 1st rounders on rookie deals.

or Khalil Mack.

When your defense is bad, quantity>>>quality.

Don't agree here sorry, nobody thought Chicago was one piece away before the season - even our FO who thought we'd reap a high draft pick from the Bears rather than the 49ers. It seems like our FO thought we'd be contenders as we should have been. I think the destabilising effect of trading our best player is being ignored aswell - it totally contradicted Gruden's earlier bravado and probably was not what he'd promised the team and new FA players.

With regard to the young team mantra, I'd agree and with good decisions we'd have an upward trending team with 3 rookies on the DL alongside Mack in Hall, Hurst and Key, we'd also have a few young LBs in Cabinda, Lee and Morrow who may or may not fill one or two spots and also a very promising looking secondary with Conley especially so together with Joseph and Worley who all played well at points. On offense, we'd have a couple rookie tackles and a QB who should be maturing into his prime and we'd need to retool at WR and RB shortly which we could do within reason. 

On the hypothetical at the end, seeing as our secondary was actually showing signs of promise given a complete lack of pass rush and Conley in particular looks like a star, I think the D overall would have been trending up with a new DC so honestly, I'd rather have Mack an All Pro pass rusher with some promising young players behind than a good LB and a very good S with no pass rush and only the promise of a rookie and/or free agent. We'd still have 2 first rounders this year anyway with the Cooper trade to add maybe a WR and a DE/LB.

It basically boils down to what we do with the picks............ the optimist in me agrees with you and if we hit on a large majority of the picks it could be argued to be the right deceision long term but the realist realises the chances of hitting are 50/50 maybe. I like the addition of Mayock but very nervous about Gruden. I'd rather have a couple stars and try and fill in around them with quantity than have a pile of decent players and then have to try and find the stars to elevate them.

33 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Don't agree here sorry, nobody thought Chicago was one piece away before the season - even our FO who thought we'd reap a high draft pick from the Bears rather than the 49ers. It seems like our FO thought we'd be contenders as we should have been. I think the destabilising effect of trading our best player is being ignored aswell - it totally contradicted Gruden's earlier bravado and probably was not what he'd promised the team and new FA players.

With regard to the young team mantra, I'd agree and with good decisions we'd have an upward trending team with 3 rookies on the DL alongside Mack in Hall, Hurst and Key, we'd also have a few young LBs in Cabinda, Lee and Morrow who may or may not fill one or two spots and also a very promising looking secondary with Conley especially so together with Joseph and Worley who all played well at points. On offense, we'd have a couple rookie tackles and a QB who should be maturing into his prime and we'd need to retool at WR and RB shortly which we could do within reason. 

On the hypothetical at the end, seeing as our secondary was actually showing signs of promise given a complete lack of pass rush and Conley in particular looks like a star, I think the D overall would have been trending up with a new DC so honestly, I'd rather have Mack an All Pro pass rusher with some promising young players behind than a good LB and a very good S with no pass rush and only the promise of a rookie and/or free agent. We'd still have 2 first rounders this year anyway with the Cooper trade to add maybe a WR and a DE/LB.

It basically boils down to what we do with the picks............ the optimist in me agrees with you and if we hit on a large majority of the picks it could be argued to be the right deceision long term but the realist realises the chances of hitting are 50/50 maybe. I like the addition of Mayock but very nervous about Gruden. I'd rather have a couple stars and try and fill in around them with quantity than have a pile of decent players and then have to try and find the stars to elevate them.

I don't anyone thought Chicago was one piece away. But their defense certainly was strong and mack put them over the top. And they benefited from an easy schedule and dysfunction in the division.

17 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Thompson is a stud. He was in a tough spot after their CB went down and had him covering more of the field. Shouldn't take away from his traits or performance up to that point.

Thompson raved Ansley who coached him up early at 'Bama. He'll have first hand knowledge of the player he is.

15 hours ago, Totty said:

Nasir Adderley!  I absolutely love his style. Everything you want in a safety.  Except elite competition.  

He's my favorite as well. He'll be on the north squad at the senior bowl so Raiders will get a first hand look. He's a lot of fun to watch

Free agency should be a measured approach.` And most the "big names" will be franchised or re-signed as they are every year

Brandon Graham, Za'Darius Smith - 2 pass rushers. Graham would add vet leadership for the young Dline. Plays the run well and can get after the QB. Smith is the upside signing who can play in the rotation

Earl Thomas - Coming off injury, he'd fill the Charles Woodson role in the secondary. Be a leader and still has some left in the tank. 

Jon Brown - Deep threat target, vet to add opposite Jordy while drafting a couple young guys

This sets the draft up to take best pass rush option at #4. LB and skill at 24 and 27.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Free agency should be a measured approach.` And most the "big names" will be franchised or re-signed as they are every year

Brandon Graham, Za'Darius Smith - 2 pass rushers. Graham would add vet leadership for the young Dline. Plays the run well and can get after the QB. Smith is the upside signing who can play in the rotation

Earl Thomas - Coming off injury, he'd fill the Charles Woodson role in the secondary. Be a leader and still has some left in the tank. 

Jon Brown - Deep threat target, vet to add opposite Jordy while drafting a couple young guys

This sets the draft up to take best pass rush option at #4. LB and skill at 24 and 27.

I'm pretty sure Graham returns to Philly. Za'Darius Smith probably hits the open market but I'm not convinced he'll be worth what his highest bidder will offer. A lot of his pressure and production comes from clever scheming and I don't see an overly strong or explosive player. A team is going to be disappointed if they decide to use him as a conventional edge rusher. That said, he's probably better than anything the Raiders currently have at end.

My preferred front 7 signings are still Preston Smith and Anthony Barr. I know what I'm getting with Preston Smith. He's an overall good end who is very good at setting the edge and he's an above average pass rusher. Barr is a player who I think was stifled by the scheme in Minnesota. Looking at the Miami game, Barr can rush the passer effectively and should rush the passer at least half the time he's on the field. It's a bit of a risk, but I like the upside in signing him to linebacker money but putting him to work effectively as an edge rusher.

Offensively, my priorities would be to go after Tyrell Williams and Bobby Massie. Williams is a quality overall receiver who can run every route, adjust to the ball, and has the ability to stretch the field. Massie adds assurance to the right sight of the offensive line as the presumptive starting going into the season. Hopefully, he also pushes Parker to get better and reach his supposed potential.

53 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm pretty sure Graham returns to Philly. Za'Darius Smith probably hits the open market but I'm not convinced he'll be worth what his highest bidder will offer. A lot of his pressure and production comes from clever scheming and I don't see an overly strong or explosive player. A team is going to be disappointed if they decide to use him as a conventional edge rusher. That said, he's probably better than anything the Raiders currently have at end.

My preferred front 7 signings are still Preston Smith and Anthony Barr. I know what I'm getting with Preston Smith. He's an overall good end who is very good at setting the edge and he's an above average pass rusher. Barr is a player who I think was stifled by the scheme in Minnesota. Looking at the Miami game, Barr can rush the passer effectively and should rush the passer at least half the time he's on the field. It's a bit of a risk, but I like the upside in signing him to linebacker money but putting him to work effectively as an edge rusher.

Offensively, my priorities would be to go after Tyrell Williams and Bobby Massie. Williams is a quality overall receiver who can run every route, adjust to the ball, and has the ability to stretch the field. Massie adds assurance to the right sight of the offensive line as the presumptive starting going into the season. Hopefully, he also pushes Parker to get better and reach his supposed potential.

Smith IMO is a guy who will command a lot more money than a guy like Smith. I agree on Smith, which is why I said add him to the rotation. Barr... I'm iffy on. I keep seeing the same sentiment on him regarding his use in Minnesota, but I question it because Minnesota is one of the best coached defensive teams out there. 

Tyrell Williams.. literallyty don't get the hype. Inconsistent player and he'll likely fetch 9-10 mil a year in FA. Hard pass. I like Adam Humphries, but doubt Arians lets him walk. I'm doing most my WR work in the draft. 

Massie would be good insurance. I'd like that pick, but price may be stupid given the lack of OT in FA. 

Archived