2019 Free Agency Thread

Silver&Black88

One thing we can safely say is the coaching staff on defense doesn't like small guys. Main reason why Karl Joseph is on his way out. He's just to small same reason why I dont see Joyner as an option. I think hes smaller if not the same size as Karl. 

I wouldn't touch Bell. I would rather go after T.Coleman who offers some nice speed for 1/4 of the price it would cost to get Bell.

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

One thing we can safely say is the coaching staff on defense doesn't like small guys. Main reason why Karl Joseph is on his way out. He's just to small same reason why I dont see Joyner as an option. I think hes smaller if not the same size as Karl. 

I wouldn't touch Bell. I would rather go after T.Coleman who offers some nice speed for 1/4 of the price it would cost to get Bell.

We picked up Gilchrist who is the same height as KJ so that doesn’t wash at all.

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Joyner plays bigger than his size, is ultra athletic, and has alot of experience in the slot going back college. Idc which one we get but in order id prefer Joyner, Earl Thomas, or Tyrann Matthieu at the least.

We havent had a FS to adequately cover the deep field since i cant remember when. Huff is probably the best we've had in the last 15 years lol and thats saying something.

47 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Joyner plays bigger than his size, is ultra athletic, and has alot of experience in the slot going back college. Idc which one we get but in order id prefer Joyner, Earl Thomas, or Tyrann Matthieu at the least.

We havent had a FS to adequately cover the deep field since i cant remember when. Huff is probably the best we've had in the last 15 years lol and thats saying something.

I honestly believe that we don't make any huge impact signings this off season.  We draft heavy first round talent the next two years. Go to Vegas, and see what we have in the home grown ability.  If then it looks like we can contend, then splash the FA pool.  

Just my two cents. 

15 minutes ago, Totty said:

I honestly believe that we don't make any huge impact signings this off season.  We draft heavy first round talent the next two years. Go to Vegas, and see what we have in the home grown ability.  If then it looks like we can contend, then splash the FA pool.  

Just my two cents. 

I sadly agree thats the route we take more than likely.

If it were me tho, id use this offseason to build the defense and then give Carr another year to decide what route we take in 2020 offseason(keeping Carr or drafting a new QB) and build more on the offense. Then we roll into Vegas with a totally revamped D with a year playing together and then find our QB of the future(Carr or not) and have some shiny new pieces to our offense coming opening day in Vegas.

1 hour ago, riceman80 said:

I sadly agree thats the route we take more than likely.

If it were me tho, id use this offseason to build the defense and then give Carr another year to decide what route we take in 2020 offseason(keeping Carr or drafting a new QB) and build more on the offense. Then we roll into Vegas with a totally revamped D with a year playing together and then find our QB of the future(Carr or not) and have some shiny new pieces to our offense coming opening day in Vegas.

I think this is the year we can get out of Carr's contact with little to no penalty. 

I do think that you try to add quality depth via FA.  You don't just quit adding talent.  You need to field a team going forward.  I see a lot of people thinking we are going to spend 50 or 70 or I've even seen 91 million to spend.  I can't see that.  I believe we attack mid level quality not super star talents.  

This 2019 draft is literally the defining hour in Grudens second tenure here.  What other coach can boast that kind of cap room and 5 first round picks in two years? He's literally set up to take us to the promise land.  If he fails, it'll go down as one of the worst blunders in NFL history.  

No pressure, Jon.  

I don't mind doing a full rebuild so long as it's done correctly.  I don't care who he gets rid of.  Who stays.  Who goes.  None of that matters.  Because the fact is, we need him to do this.  And see it through.  And it needs to be done correctly.  Because if he DOES fail... The next coach will be doing the same exact thing, with less to work with.  

6 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Barr is way past his prime. He is like the guys we signed this year. I know he's only 27 which is amazing cause it feels like he's been in the NFL for at least 10 years, but he looks like a shell of himself this year. It's a huge reason why the Vikings defense has taken a big step backwards. Oakland needs to go young and develop at this point. It would amaze me if Oakland who didn't want to pay Mack what he got but throw 20 million at D.Lawrence just don't see it happening. The draft is so deep at DE in the draft and will pick a couple in the draft and sign a low-cost DE that has some upside. 

He’s  playing out of position he’s a DE not a LB. At worst he will be a rotational player.

4 hours ago, Totty said:

Just my two cents. 

I'll say the opposite. I think they will look at this defense and see that in order to compete they need to massively upgrade it and will sign a couple splashy veterans who they think can begin that process of turning it around with all their rookies. 74 mil in cap space, they have to spend it.

43 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'll say the opposite. I think they will look at this defense and see that in order to compete they need to massively upgrade it and will sign a couple splashy veterans who they think can begin that process of turning it around with all their rookies. 74 mil in cap space, they have to spend it.

This. 

The Raiders have to spend their money because of the cba. They could spend a bunch in the short term like like the next year or two and anticipate handing out big contracts to their draft picks when they are in their second contract. We ain’t signing Reggie White but almost anything one we sign will be an upgrade. 

18 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

This. 

The Raiders have to spend their money because of the cba. They could spend a bunch in the short term like like the next year or two and anticipate handing out big contracts to their draft picks when they are in their second contract. We ain’t signing Reggie White but almost anything one we sign will be an upgrade. 

Isn't it that they have to spend an average over a certain period of time? 

1 hour ago, Totty said:

Isn't it that they have to spend an average over a certain period of time? 

I always thought that there was a "floor" they had to hit. Thats a big reason why when reggie came here he overpaid players to sign them. It wasn't just to lure them here, he literally had to do it because of the CBA. 

42 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Gonna be hard to solve our corner issue without drafting Greedy Williams. Literally almost no good corners in FA in 2019.. and the CB class outside of Greedy isn’t very good. 

Worst take ever............. Deandre Baker, Amani Oruwariye, Michael Jackson,  Levonta Taylor, Trevon Diggs, Trayvon Mullen

There are a lot of round 1-3 talents to be hand in this class depending on who declares. Watch some college football.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Worst take ever............. Deandre Baker, Amani Oruwariye, Michael Jackson,  Levonta Taylor, Trevon Diggs, Trayvon Mullen

There are a lot of round 1-3 talents to be hand in this class depending on who declares. Watch some college football.

I’m talking about 1st Round caliber talent. Baker is extremely overrated. Mannequin at Macys would get a buck fifty and a TD.    

Archived