2019 Free Agency Thread

Silver&Black88

It all boils down to whether or not you believe in Carr. He's been beleaguered and to a degree, rightly so. But he's been in such a dire situation and banged up. All of the changes and injuries take their toll on your psyche (and body obviously). Dude is tough despite how he's been smeared. He showed grit and glimpses of the things that made us previously believe in him last year. Hell yeah do I want to keep him another year. He's only going to get more comfortable in the system. Plus we should be looking to upgrade virtually every other spot on offense save for some OL regardless of who is under center. No need to make things worse. I firmly believe he's going to take a step forward next year if we can keep him in one piece and give him at least some help. On that note, I'm just starting to look at prospects, but I'll post in the draft thread here.

On 1/18/2019 at 12:16 PM, big_palooka said:

Carr for Ramsey and #7 overall..... would you do it? 

Jacksonville wouldn't so it's a moot point. Without Ramsey, they aren't in "push all the chips in" mode. He's their franchise guy. That's like if we never had Carr then traded Mack and a first for Matt Stafford (in your eyes, not mine). And still? Hell no. Ramsey is a cancer and getting even an above average quarterback is immensely difficult.

Wouldn't KO have some value to a team like the Browns, Bills or Cardinals? They have 60-80mil in cap each and needs at guard and/or tackle. When healthy KO is a real player, so I would think he would have value. I think Gabe Jackson has even more value because he is young and near elite and dealt with a torn pectoral (Sep 10th) and fractured elbow (Dec 9) which he played through until  being played on IR December 18th. I wouldn't bet against Gabe rebounding after showing that kind of toughness and want to play.

26 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Wouldn't KO have some value to a team like the Browns, Bills or Cardinals? They have 60-80mil in cap each and needs at guard and/or tackle. When healthy KO is a real player, so I would think he would have value. I think Gabe Jackson has even more value because he is young and near elite and dealt with a torn pectoral (Sep 10th) and fractured elbow (Dec 9) which he played through until  being played on IR December 18th. I wouldn't bet against Gabe rebounding after showing that kind of toughness and want to play.

I do believe KO and Jackson have a lot of value and are really good players but  do not think they are good players for the direction this team is going in.  We do not need to spend or have big powerful interior linemen to be successful so their value is greater to another team.  The issue is that their value is down right now because they had to play in our scheme which they are not well suited for.  We would have been better off trading Jackson and KO and resigning Mack.  We would of received much less in draft picks but Mack would have had a much greater positive impact.  The transition period would have been smoother also.

18 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Oh and another thing. Who else wants to cut KO, re-sign Good, then sign another fringe interior OL starter?

I entertained this thought when things were at their worst, but the team has plenty of cap space to keep both. Although they didn't play at an elite level last year, they, with Hudson, make for a very formidable interior offensive line which showed when the team ran between the tackles more often with Martin during the second half of the year.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I entertained this thought when things were at their worst, but the team has plenty of cap space to keep both. Although they didn't play at an elite level last year, they, with Hudson, make for a very formidable interior offensive line which showed when the team ran between the tackles more often with Martin during the second half of the year.

I don't disagree. I was thinking that way earlier on as well. I guess I'm afraid of relying on KO with his injuries and age. Maybe a trade could be worked out as others alluded to. Tbh I wouldn't mind any of those 3 options.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:47 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

We’re rebuilding tho. I don’t think we need a 125 million $ qb imo. I’m not sure Carr is the 1 either. 

Just laying out the reality of it. You can dump Carr for picks or players, but you still are left with a rookie or a has been or both.

I think some are too hung up on the money as well.  That deal will be very average in the next year or two. 

3 minutes ago, true2form said:

Just laying out the reality of it. You can dump Carr for picks or players, but you still are left with a rookie or a has been or both.

I think some are too hung up on the money as well.  That deal will be very average in the next year or two. 

Nailed it. Ive said it here before. Carr went from top 3 paid qb to outside top 5 in a manner of months. By next two years he'll likely be 12-15 paid qb. 

Carr isn't the problem. Build a defense and grab a multi dimensional rb

2 hours ago, true2form said:

I just don’t see Carr as a dynamic qb he’s like a Palmer clone. I’d hate for us to hang our hat on Carr and miss out on something better. Look at Arizona built a strong team around Palmer and nothing to show for it I think the same will happen for Carr. As semi decent of a qb that they are they still throw some of the most mind boggling throws. I’m just more open minded I guess. 

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I just don’t see Carr as a dynamic qb he’s like a Palmer clone. I’d hate for us to hang our hat on Carr and miss out on something better. Look at Arizona built a strong team around Palmer and nothing to show for it I think the same will happen for Carr. As semi decent of a qb that they are they still throw some of the most mind boggling throws. I’m just more open minded I guess. 

Meh, Palmer was consistently laughably bad in the playoffs. Honestly some of his "best" playoff games are on par with Carr's worst regular season performances. 

I'll give Carr some benefit of the doubt as to whether he can be a clutch playoff performer. We've seen average QBs (Foles, Flacco, etc) be able to really crank it up in the playoffs. Maybe it's a psychological thing and they don't feel the pressure to perform on a Brees/Brady level? Point being, I won't doubt Carr until I see him in the playoffs. Given a better team around him to get him there, I can see him being one of those "not pretty but effective" types. Honestly, I'd take that every day of the week, considering the level of QB play the Raiders have gotten this century. 

I think people really underestimate Gruden's playbook difficulty. I think Carr is the youngest "franchise" QB he's had. And I can't speak for everyone, but I was pleasantly surprised with Carr's growth in the system as the year went on. I know it's cliche, but we've seen Gruden turn Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, and a 70 year old Jeff Garcia into pretty solid options at least for short periods. Carr is almost certainly better than all 3, so I'd prefer to wait and see what he can do in year 2. 

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I'm very open minded.  I'm just waiting for you or anyone else to tell me the plan.

Get rid of Carr is not a plan. Replace him with someone better is not a plan.

You say trade him for this and then pick up this guy as the replacement and I will listen. 

Everyone focuses on what we can get for Carr and not what to do after that.  I don't buy into the magic replace a solid QB theory. I watched this team struggle for over a decade trying to replace Gannon. The decade between Plunkett and Gannon wasn't quite as bad, but similar results.

I get it. Guys see Goff, Mahommes, and Wentz and think "oh we can just draft our guy".  I don't believe that guy is in this draft though and I'm a Buckeye mind you. Haskins has potential, but he really needed another year to polish his game. 

Until I see an upgrade at the position, I'm going to be happy seeing the rest of the team improved.  

Archived