2019 Free Agency Thread

Silver&Black88

On 11/11/2018 at 11:14 AM, Frankie2Gunz said:

While I think Bell is a good back, more of the product of a good system and good Oline rather than being eilte like AP in his primeTrust me on this, Pit's system and scheme has more to do with Bell's success than Bell's talent. 

Strongly disagree. Bell is every bit the talent of someone like AP. The system is ideal for any back: great quarterback, great oline, and great perimeter weapons, but you can't tell me that Bell isn't among the best all-around backs in the modern era based on how he plays.

On 11/11/2018 at 11:26 AM, drfrey13 said:

Signing Bell could be a trap like signing one of Tom Brady's backups.  They might not be bad but that system makes them better.

This is a ridiculous take. The Bell hate--and it is hate--reminds me of what happens when players are out of sight out of mind: we forget how great they were. Bell is a great player. To compare him to Matt Cassell is laughable.

On 11/11/2018 at 9:51 AM, roi34 said:

But for how many years? Bell has a lot of miles on his legs and has been injury prone outside of last year

Bell has less mileage than most backs his age considering his suspensions, injuries, and this past season. Bell has at least 4-5 years of elite play left in him.

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Strongly disagree. Bell is every bit the talent of someone like AP. The system is ideal for any back: great quarterback, great oline, and great perimeter weapons, but you can't tell me that Bell isn't among the best all-around backs in the modern era based on how he plays.

This is a ridiculous take. The Bell hate--and it is hate--reminds me of what happens when players are out of sight out of mind: we forget how great they were. Bell is a great player. To compare him to Matt Cassell is laughable.

Bell has less mileage than most backs his age considering his suspensions, injuries, and this past season. Bell has at least 4-5 years of elite play left in him.

kinda doubt we sign him.. Probably be like 7-8 teams really interested in Bell and drive up his price

• Raiders
  • Texans
  • Ravens
  • Colts
  • Jets
  • 49ers
  • Bucs
  • Eagles

43 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Rich, I agree with most of what you say but in this instance I disagree. 

So let me ask you this question.  Where do you rank James Connor amongst todays backs?  Also do you remember in 2015 when Bell was injured and a washed up Deangelo Williams stepped into his starting slot and posted a 4.5 YPC average and 11 Td's after Bell went down in week 6.  One year later Williams was out of football.  

If you were the GM f the Raiders (dumpster fire), who are years away from sniffing the playoffs and you looked at the facts I just posted, would you still sign Bell to a lofty contract?  I would most certainly steer clear as a 15 million dollar diva RB which is the last thing this team needs. Once we are out of contention by week 2 lol a player like Bell will mail it in not wanting to get injured.  

To compare AP to Bell is also so far off base it's not funny.  They are not even in the same universe.  I really hope Bell takes the money this offseason and signs with the Bills or Jets and we can see how good he actually is.  

11 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Rich, I agree with most of what you say but let me ask you this question.  Where do you rank James Connor amongst todays backs?  Also do you remember in 2015 when Bell was injured and a washed up Deangelo Williams stepped into his starting slot and posted a 4.5 YPC average and 11 Td's after Bell went down in week 6.  One year later Williams was out of football.  

If you were the GM f the Raiders (dumpster fire), who are years away from sniffing the playoffs and you looked at the facts I just posted, would you still sign Bell to a lofty contract?  I would most certainly steer clear as a 15million dollar diva RB is the last thing this team needs. 

To compare AP to Bell is also so far off base it's not funny.  They are not even in the same universe.  I really hope Bell takes the money this offseason and signs with the Bills or Jets and we can see how good he actually is.  

I haven't really watched Conner much to say where he lands among today's backs. I do know that Bell is a transcendent talent at the position regardless of how Conner is performing. Further, the question isn't what Bell offers to the Steelers, it's what he would offer to the Raiders. Because of the surrounding talent, Bell doesn't seem to offer the Steelers much over what they have in Conner (even though I'm certain Bell is a better player). That said, Bell would offer much more to a team with a dearth of talent on offense because of what he can create on his own.

To your second point, teams are never as far from competing as they seem to be--especially if the QB position is presumably settled. The Raiders are a bad roster today, but that could change in a year--especially if you add an elite talent like Bell.

Lastly, Bell is very much in AP's class as far as peak talent goes. Prime AP might have been a better pure runner because of his long speed, but Bell offers more as a route running out of the backfield and from the line of scrimmage.

I go back to what I see from Bell when I watch him play. He's a mix of LeSean McCoy's quickness and Marshawn Lynch's power and balance. The only thing he's missing is touchdown-making long speed.

28 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I haven't really watched Conner much to say where he lands among today's backs. I do know that Bell is a transcendent talent at the position regardless of how Conner is performing. Further, the question isn't what Bell offers to the Steelers, it's what he would offer to the Raiders. Because of the surrounding talent, Bell doesn't seem to offer the Steelers much over what they have in Conner (even though I'm certain Bell is a better player). That said, Bell would offer much more to a team with a dearth of talent on offense because of what he can create on his own.

To your second point, teams are never as far from competing as they seem to be--especially if the QB position is presumably settled. The Raiders are a bad roster today, but that could change in a year--especially if you add an elite talent like Bell.

Lastly, Bell is very much in AP's class as far as peak talent goes. Prime AP might have been a better pure runner because of his long speed, but Bell offers more as a route running out of the backfield and from the line of scrimmage.

I go back to what I see from Bell when I watch him play. He's a mix of LeSean McCoy's quickness and Marshawn Lynch's power and balance. The only thing he's missing is touchdown-making long speed.

Every back that has stepped into Bell's role has been lights out, that to me is a major red flag if I was a GM.  If that is not screaming system player then I don't know what to say.  Like I said before, in 2015 D. Williams had a 4.5 YPC average and 11 td's after Bell went down.  One year later he was out of football.  Red flag for signing Bell!!!

James Conner, 5th round nobody who is now lighting the league up.  Red flag for signing Bell.  

I could go on and on but Bell has a ton of red flags.   Like I said it would be beyond foolish for the Raiders to sign him at the money he will command.  I pray he signs with the Bills or Jets, then we will see who is right.  

If Bell is smart he will go to a team that will suit his skill set and take less money.  With all that Bell has shown throughout this ordeal with Pit. what on earth makes you think he will run hard on this team next season when we are say 1 and 9?  I'm sure he would have some type of "hamstring" injury or some type of soft tissue injuries to blame his lack of success on.  Bell is a good back, don't get me wrong but no where near the elite caliber of AP and it's not even close.  

11 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Guy had 400 touches last yearand averages like 350 a year hardly less miles. He has more touches than mostly all other running backs in that time. I love bell just not paying a rb 15 mill. James connor doing just as well for peanuts. Give me a good oline and running game will be productive with a 4th rounder and tevin coleman. 

2 hours ago, roi34 said:

Guy had 400 touches last yearand averages like 350 a year hardly less miles. He has more touches than mostly all other running backs in that time. I love bell just not paying a rb 15 mill. James connor doing just as well for peanuts. Give me a good oline and running game will be productive with a 4th rounder and tevin coleman. 

Yeah I’m not a big FA RB kind of guy, there is plenty of talent in the 3rd/4th Round at RB in every draft. Just give them a decent line to run behind. 

14 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Every back that has stepped into Bell's role has been lights out, that to me is a major red flag if I was a GM.  If that is not screaming system player then I don't know what to say.  Like I said before, in 2015 D. Williams had a 4.5 YPC average and 11 td's after Bell went down.  One year later he was out of football.  Red flag for signing Bell!!!

James Conner, 5th round nobody who is now lighting the league up.  Red flag for signing Bell.  

I could go on and on but Bell has a ton of red flags.   Like I said it would be beyond foolish for the Raiders to sign him at the money he will command.  I pray he signs with the Bills or Jets, then we will see who is right.  

If Bell is smart he will go to a team that will suit his skill set and take less money.  With all that Bell has shown throughout this ordeal with Pit. what on earth makes you think he will run hard on this team next season when we are say 1 and 9?  I'm sure he would have some type of "hamstring" injury or some type of soft tissue injuries to blame his lack of success on.  Bell is a good back, don't get me wrong but no where near the elite caliber of AP and it's not even close.  

Because others have performed in Bell's role shouldn't raise a red flag unless you are really unsure about his talent. I don't think there should be any questions about Bell's talent. Every "red flag" you've raised about Bell literally have nothing to do with him as a player.

And no, it would not be smart to Bell to take less money or else what was the point of him not playing this season? And to answer your question about whether Bell would run hard: there is no indication he would run any more or less hard if he was on a losing team--none, zilch, zero. Just because he's trying to maximize the biggest contract of his career doesn't mean he won't run hard. The two are mutually exclusive.

4 hours ago, roi34 said:

You mean a good oline, Hall of Fame quarterback, Hall of Fame receiver, and top #2 receiver?

And it's not just about getting a productive run game, it's about getting a productive offense. Bell's versatility affects both the run and pass. People forget he would split out wide and win against defensive backs.

8 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Because others have performed in Bell's role shouldn't raise a red flag unless you are really unsure about his talent. I don't think there should be any questions about Bell's talent. Every "red flag" you've raised about Bell literally have nothing to do with him as a player.

And no, it would not be smart to Bell to take less money or else what was the point of him not playing this season? And to answer your question about whether Bell would run hard: there is no indication he would run any more or less hard if he was on a losing team--none, zilch, zero. Just because he's trying to maximize the biggest contract of his career doesn't mean he won't run hard. The two are mutually exclusive.

You mean a good oline, Hall of Fame quarterback, Hall of Fame receiver, and top #2 receiver?

And it's not just about getting a productive run game, it's about getting a productive offense. Bell's versatility affects both the run and pass. People forget he would split out wide and win against defensive backs.

Rather have mack for 25 than bell for 17

56 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Not an option this offseason so no reason bringing it up.

I think what he means is that if/since we did not sign Mack at his price he is not interested in signing Bell for that price because Mack is a more valuable piece but was not signed so we could rebuild the team.  If we sign Bell it looks like the FO and Gruden can not make up their mind.

Archived