2019 Free Agency Thread

Silver&Black88

Just throwing this out there but we do not have to spend any money this year in FA.  We have 50 players under contract for next year and 9 draft picks.  Not saying we should sign nobody but we do not need to break the bank for anyone.  If we spent $20 million and carried over $53 to 2020 we would have $130 million to spend right before our Vegas debut with another big draft haul.  Would much rather go after Melvin Gordon in 2020 than Bell this year.  The money and facilities would be a much easier sell and if we can start to improve like many believe Carr will with being in Gruden's system for 2 straight years will make the team an easier sell.  I am going to try and break down how much we need to spend in the next two years to reach the floor.

Another name I would love to look at is Carlos Hyde. The Jags are a mess and a lot of changes may happen soon with their RB corp. He was having a great season for San Fran before being traded to Jax.

Richard, signing Hyde and drafting a guy before round 4 would set us up well imo.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Another name I would love to look at is Carlos Hyde. The Jags are a mess and a lot of changes may happen soon with their RB corp. He was having a great season for San Fran before being traded to Jax.

Richard, signing Hyde and drafting a guy before round 4 would set us up well imo.

Hyde was playing for the Browns before being traded. 

16 hours ago, 101Raider said:

I little late on the response on my part... Honestly, a dream scenario would be to give Jags one of our later 1st rounders and swap early picks.  We get #7 and the best DB in the league , they get to move ahead to take their QB of the future and still have a first to mold a future replacement.

Use #7 to draft Gary or Ferrill.  

Reggie is gone. You don't give up an extra first to a team trying to get their franchise qb.

12 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Just throwing this out there but we do not have to spend any money this year in FA.  We have 50 players under contract for next year and 9 draft picks.  Not saying we should sign nobody but we do not need to break the bank for anyone.  If we spent $20 million and carried over $53 to 2020 we would have $130 million to spend right before our Vegas debut with another big draft haul.  Would much rather go after Melvin Gordon in 2020 than Bell this year.  The money and facilities would be a much easier sell and if we can start to improve like many believe Carr will with being in Gruden's system for 2 straight years will make the team an easier sell.  I am going to try and break down how much we need to spend in the next two years to reach the floor.

So I just got home from work and found some quick numbers for what we have to spend.  Here is a year by year breakdown.

2017 2018 2019 2020
Cap  $ 174,217,475.00  $ 184,826,880.00  $ 194,891,381.00  $  189,000,000.00
Cash  $ 171,930,272.00  $ 184,362,702.00  $ 105,601,488.00  $    67,866,506.00
Differense  $      2,287,203.00  $         464,178.00  $    89,289,893.00  $  121,133,494.00

4 Yr Period          89% Floor    Future Spending  
Cap  $ 742,935,736.00  $ 661,212,805.04    
Cash  $ 529,760,968.00   $ 131,451,837.04  

I am not 100% sure of the numbers accuracy but it is from Spotrac.  Over the next 2 years we need to pay out in cash $131 million.  The cap hits can extend out past 2020 but the money must be paid before the league year ends in 2020.  We have $186 million in cap space left over the next 2 years so hitting the floor should be very easy.  We could carry over $55 million in cap space into 2021 and still reach the floor so it looks like that will not be a motivating factor for us to spend in FA.

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I feel as if Gruden built up the overall depth of the team last offseason... Raiders won't sign as many guys in free agency, typically new coaches to bring in many guys for new system fits...

You're joking right? He brought in 1 year vets and scrubs who aren't sticking around. He just wanted to bring in competition and leadership. This will be the offseason where he gets his players. 

You can't seriously think that a team that post cuts will be top 3 in cap space will not sign a ton of free agents. Maybe they won't all be splashy, but you can't not be a player in FA if you're top 5 in space.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, drfrey13 said:

What makes you think he'll ever hit the market?

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You're joking right? He brought in 1 year vets and scrubs who aren't sticking around. He just wanted to bring in competition and leadership. This will be the offseason where he gets his players. 

You can't seriously think that a team that post cuts will be top 3 in cap space will not sign a ton of free agents. Maybe they won't all be splashy, but you can't not be a player in FA if you're top 5 in space.

depth added in 2018 by Gruden

QB: AJ

RB: Warren

WR: Ateman

TE: Wallner, Carrier

T: Parker, Murray

G: Green, Good

DE: Ealy, Key

DT: Hall, Hurst, Wright

LB: Cabinda, Wilburn

CB: Nelson, Benwikere 

S: Harris

alot of solid depth added by Gruden in 2018

22 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

depth added in 2018 by Gruden

QB: AJ

RB: Warren

WR: Ateman

TE: Wallner, Carrier

T: Parker, Murray

G: Green, Good

DE: Ealy, Key

DT: Hall, Hurst, Wright

LB: Cabinda, Wilburn

CB: Nelson, Benwikere 

S: Harris

alot of solid depth added by Gruden in 2018

I'm talking about FA.

"Solid depth"? A lot of these guys are scrubs.

McCarron is mediocre.

Warren hasn't done anything. Parker was drafted. Murray is a scrub. Green and Good are scrubs. Ealy is a scrub. Key was drafted. Hall and Hurst were drafted. Wright is a scrub. Cabinda was UDFA. Wilbur is a scrub. Nelson was drafted. Benwikere was waivers. Harris was already on the team.

Nothing about this screams "solid depth". The "depth" you mentioned would seriously struggle if they started. Hence I wouldn't call them "solid depth".

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm talking about FA.

"Solid depth"? A lot of these guys are scrubs.

McCarron is mediocre.

Warren hasn't done anything. Parker was drafted. Murray is a scrub. Green and Good are scrubs. Ealy is a scrub. Key was drafted. Hall and Hurst were drafted. Wright is a scrub. Cabinda was UDFA. Wilbur is a scrub. Nelson was drafted. Benwikere was waivers. Harris was already on the team.

Nothing about this screams "solid depth". The "depth" you mentioned would seriously struggle if they started. Hence I wouldn't call them "solid depth".

I define depth as Drafted or FAS..... 

you don't know if AJ is a scrub? at least Murray, Green, and Good are NFL players... reggie depth guys deserved to play in Canada...Key was a stud in a super bowl....Wilburn is a special teams stud.. this team depth isn't as bad as you think

Archived