2019 Free Agency Thread

Silver&Black88

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I’m talking about 1st Round caliber talent. Baker is extremely overrated. Mannequin at Macys would get a buck fifty and a TD.    

The No. 7 player and top cornerback on our PFF College Top 50 coming into the season, Baker has been outstanding through five weeks, allowing a passer rating of only 29.0 into his coverage. He’s been targeted 20 times, allowing 12 catches, but for only 79 yards while intercepting two passes and breaking up five more.

Doubting you've watched a single college football game all season. Just piggy backing names you here on Twitter. 

4 hours ago, Chali21 said:

I always thought that there was a "floor" they had to hit. Thats a big reason why when reggie came here he overpaid players to sign them. It wasn't just to lure them here, he literally had to do it because of the CBA. 

The floor is over a 4 years period. We're in the 2017 to 2020 period. You'd have to find how much we spent in 2017 and 18 to know how much we have to spend in the next 2 years.

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’m talking about 1st Round caliber talent. Baker is extremely overrated. Mannequin at Macys would get a buck fifty and a TD.    

Sorry but gotta disagree. Baker is a solid corner in his own right and will be a legit 1st rounder. CB is decent depth on day 2 as well.

But yeah, my boy Greedy is the cat's pajamas. He's #3 on my BB and my favorite CB prospect since PP(Yes i even rate him higher than i did Ramsey). He needs to put on 5-10 pounds. Thats literally his only flaw.

On 30/10/2018 at 8:33 AM, riceman80 said:

I sadly agree thats the route we take more than likely.

If it were me tho, id use this offseason to build the defense and then give Carr another year to decide what route we take in 2020 offseason(keeping Carr or drafting a new QB) and build more on the offense. Then we roll into Vegas with a totally revamped D with a year playing together and then find our QB of the future(Carr or not) and have some shiny new pieces to our offense coming opening day in Vegas.

Heck, I thought we were doing it this year with the draft picks along the DL and the CBs we picked up until things went belly up. I think we'll for sure draft an edge rusher high and hope he's the #1 guy and maybe sign a vet to be a complimentary rusher (like a poor man's Mack & Irvin O.o)

From what Gruden has been doing thus far, we'll probably have a boat load of vets at every level of the D but I can see him going O a lot in the draft with WR, TE and RB priorities for him and OL still in flux. I hope we keep our interior OL intact but I fear that is the next to get blown up.

hope the first pick is on one of those once of generation type Lineman....maybe even two lineman.... or a stud Safety, or Backer....  tired of this slow defense.... we need defensive players who play nasty and fast.....    

say the first pick is 

Oakland pick: DL- Ed Oliver or Bosa or Q Williams

Thoughts: Gruden can't screw that pick up, chance to add a cornerstone on the trenches

Dallas pick: S Thompson,  CB G Williams, CB Baker, LB D White, Edge J Allen, Edge Burns, Edge , DE J Polite, DE C Ferrall

Thoughts: Haven't study all these guys, but they all sound promising from what I read.... Defense needs an infusion of talent to be competitive... could use a first rounder and Edge, LB, S, or even Corner..  just need more talent, speed, good football players

Chicago Pick: I wouldn't mind trading this pick for a future 1st and a Day 2 pick so we have 3 Day picks and 3 1st in 2020... This also could be nice spot for WR, DB, or LB best talent on the board.....  

Bosa, D White, N Keal Harry would be nice... but also more picks on day 2, and 3 1st in 2020 would be nice too.... 

On 10/30/2018 at 1:04 PM, oakdb36 said:

The floor is over a 4 years period. We're in the 2017 to 2020 period. You'd have to find how much we spent in 2017 and 18 to know how much we have to spend in the next 2 years.

I believe the cap floor is 89% and since the cap space roles over every year we would just need to have spent 60% of what ever the cap is in 2020.  It is actually a little less than that but you get the point.  From 2017-20 the total salary cap limit was $755 million.  Therefore $672 would have to be given in cash to the players in current payments.  That means we would have to reach a roster cap of $117 million in 2020.  It gets a little more complicated because some payments, signing bonuses, were given in 2016 and prior but count towards the cap in the 2017-20 range.  This can easily balance out however because we can give signing bonuses in the next two years that count towards the floor in the current period but count towards cap space in 2021 and beyond.  It looks like most of our big cash payments have been made in the current period so going off of the cap space is a safe bet.

This is the free agency thread, so talk about free agents guys!

2019 Raiders FA class:

Rashaan Melvin CB: Can't see him back. His twitter communication, followed up by his benching said it all IMO.

Jared Cook TE: I think we need him back. He is a great weapon for Carr and Gruden. 

Marshawn Lynch RB: Interesting situation here, since Lynch still seems to have some in that tank. We might bring him back if we stay in the Oakland afterall.

Marcus Glchrist S: I don't want him back, but he might stick if PG keeps his job. He could be the veteran with hopefully less and less role during the year, who knows the system and duties.

Reggie Nelson S: I think the Nation will be really upset if Nelson is here for one more year. I can't see that in any logical manner.

Jonathan Hankins DT: Another tricky situation here. Hankins played solid so far, but we might just have the same in Ellis already under contract. He wasn't under contract for so long, because he was very picky about his destination and price. With the mindset, I'm not sure he wants to be back or we want to pay him. Hopefully Ellis can comeback strong and just take that NT spot back.

Clinton McDonald DT: I can't see him back.

Martavis Bryant WR: Tough call, since we would really need a deep threat and with his baggage he would struggle to find a better deal, place IMO. We might keep him for 1 more year on a prove it deal.

Brandon LaFell WR: Have to see, how he produces in the second part of the season. If he can build on that Colts game, he might worth a short term deal IMO.

Doug Martin RB: He needs to play well the rest of the way and I think he needs Lynch to retire to have a chance. 

Frostee Rucker DL: He is 35 and while a good locker room guy, solid veteran he is not a real force anymore. I think he should retire.

Leon Hall CB: I think we need to move on from him. He is a solid run support CB, but don't have the wheels anymore.

Dwyane Harris WR/KR/PR: He still looks good as a returner, so I think we bring him back and then obviously we should bring in young competition for him.

Emmanuel Lamur LB: He is not a starter in this league. We could opt to keep him around as depth till TC, but can't really see the benefit.

Kony Ealy DL: We have to see what he has, but I think he is just a roster body at this point and should be gone after the season. Still young, so if he fit well, could worth a look tho.

Jacquies Smith: We have to see what he has, but I think he is just a roster body at this point and should be gone after the season. Still young, so if he fit well, could worth a look tho.

TJ Clemmings OT: Should be a no brainer walk on from our part.

Jon Feliciano OG: I thought he looked solid in KO's place, so I would like to keep him as depth. Issue could be money and his desire to try to land a starting gig elsewhere. 

RFA:

Erik Harris S: Should be back as a ST player, depth S IMO.

Daryl Worley CB: Definately will be back, since the staff sees a potential starter in him.

Denver Kirkland OL: I can't see an RFA tender for him, but once he hit the FA market we could bring him back as competition, however I would like to see the new OL coach actually showing a clear direction. Kirkland is definately not a ZBS fit, so can't really see his place here.

Ian Silberman OL: Again, can't see the RFA tag in play, but he should be back IMO as a FA. He has value as a swing OT IMO.

Jalen Richard RB: Definately worth a RFA tag IMO.

ERFA:

Shilique Calhoun ED: Could stick around on the ERFA tender till TC I guess.

Fadol Brown ED: Should be back on that ERFA tender.

Trent Sieg LS: Should be back as the LS IMO.

Tevin Mitchell CB: Can't see him back, but could be, since he is almost for free on the tender. 

Jason Cabinda LB: Should be back IMO.

Daniel Carlson K: We should see what he got in the reamining games, but should be back as competition for Eddy IMO.

Marcell Ateman WR: Should be back.

Justin Murray OL: Could be back till TC, but the (hopefully) new OL coach, should bring his project instead.

IR guys:

Ahtyab Rubin, Mike Nugent, Dexter McDonald are probably gone.

UFA targets:

WR:

I think we need to go out and add at least one quality FA to our WR pool. We need some veterans with good route running ability or with special phisical treats.

Tyrell Williams WR: Big, strong target for Carr

John Brown WR: Could be the deep threat for us

Golden Tate WR: Could give us a reliable slot option

Randall Cobb WR: Could give us a reliable slot option

Ryan Grant WR: Could be a solid slot option 

Cole Beasley WR: Could be a solid slot option

OT:

I think we need to sign a veteran option to push Parker. 

Ty Nsekhe OT: He looks solid in the Redskins ZBS scheme, so might fit in well with us and here he would have a chance to get a starting job ahead of Parker.

Jared Veldheer OT: He could come back for a finish period and be a swing tackle or even a starter if Parker struggles.

Bobby Massie OT: He could be a solid option if we want to start a veteran ahead of Parker.

OG:

We could opt to get a new guy in stead of Gabe Jackson, if we can land one quality RG, we could unload Gabe's contract so the overall cap charge would be similar. I can totally see us keeping Gabe and trust in the new OL coach (I hope, I hope) to fix him.

Mark Glowinski or Mike Person could be upgrades over Gabe, but obviously they would cost more IMO.

DE:

We definately need EDGE help. I would like to see at least one quality FA signing.

Za'Darius Smith ED: I'm not sure how great of a fit he would be, but could be a good starter with size, speed and pass rush potential.

Brandon Graham DE: Solid veteran player, who would command a strong contract, but not market setting crazy numbers IMO.

Michael Johnson DE: Could worth a strong look as rotational guy with good system knowledge.

Markus Golden, Aaron Lynch, Dante Fowler could be targets for prove it type deals IMO.

DT:

A lot will depend on our draft position and plan. If we finish in the top 5, but not in place to land Bosa, we should go DT early and can skip the FA period with that spot. If we get the 1\1 and we are focusing on Bosa, we should try to grab a veteran DT IMO, to help out Hurst, Hall, Jelly and Vanderdows. 

Muhammad Wilkerson or Suh could be interesting options IMO.

LB: 

We need to cut Whitehead and retool the LB spot totally IMO. It would be nice to see Morrow and Cabinda more in the 2nd half of the season, to evaluate them. Lee, Morrow, Cabinda and Wilber can stick, but more as ST, depth and situational guys. We need a quality and a depth FA and at least a solid rookie.

Vincent Rey LB: He could be a solid depth, rotational signing 

KJ Wright LB: Could be an impact signing, if Seattle moves on

Manti Te'o or Denzel Perryman could worth a look too

CB:

I hope we see more and more from the Conley-Worley-Nelson trio, they might be solid afterall. We should add at least one more quality FA IMO.

Darquez Dennard CB: He could be a logic fit with PG.

Ronald Darby CB: He might be too expensive, but maybe we can make a run

Bradley Roby could worth a try. 

S:

We need all the help we can get. After this year, the only S I see back is Erik Harris and he is more of a ST, depth S guy. Joyner and Mathieu would be too small for our staff IMO. Ha-Ha will resign after the trade IMO. I would like 2 signings and some draft help too.

Earl Thomas, Landon Collins, Adrian Amos, Tre Boston, Eric Reid, Adrian Phillips, Kenny Vaccaro, George Iloka could all be serious upgrades for us.

We need a P to compete and beat Townsend, but can't really see a quality one in the Fa pool yet.

Yep, good post Rolni. far more in depth than I'm going to go :)

Obviously at this stage we're not sure what if any, Grudens plans are so these are some players I'd look at to bring some impact next year:

Offense

RB Marshawn Lynch - if he is willing, still makes yards after contact and can still be a force with limited carries

TE Jared Cook - simply our best receiver at this point and looks to have another couple years left in him

WR Quincy Enunwa, Jordan Matthews - really liked Enunwa over in NY before injury and Matthews I think needs a bigger role and if we draft a speedster and keep Nelson and/or Bryant either could be a good compliment without being too expensive

OL No Idea! - but we need a swing tackle assuming Penn retires and the youngsters are still starting

Defence

DE Jadaveon Clowney - He certainly won't be cheap but if we can lock him up for around 15 to 17m a season over 4 or 5 years he can provide the kind of impact that would benefit all our D and Hurst, Hall and Key in particular

DT Jonathan Hankins - I'd bring him back to provide competition with Ellis and potentially roll with 5 next year with Hurst, Hall and Vanderdoes who should all improve aswell being a nice rotation

LB Lots of bodies - I'd bring in a plethora of different options and kick the tyres, draft a couple in the mid to high rounds and see what sticks

S Earl Thomas - the general of our defensive backs, can make all the other components better

Archived