2019 Free Agency Thread

Silver&Black88

10 hours ago, Rolni said:

Oh, I thought Flowers for some reason :)

Dante Fowler is not the tipical PG DE IMO.  He is a bit shorter with his 6'3, but at least he has almost 34 wings.

Carl Lawson (6'2 31, so even shorter) was drafted while PG was in Cincy and he used him well as a rotational edge guy, so you never know. Fowler has the skill set to be a solid situational pass rusher IMO, so I think if the price is right, we could use him in our scheme.

Yeah Lawson a 4th rounder and played SLB on early downs though. Lawson is short armed and the Bengals didn’t see him as an every down DE. Fowler would be an expensive situational pass rusher.

Guenther appears to like the pass rush by committee approach.

Like I say it will interesting to see what we do with the DE position both in Fa and in the draft.

2 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Yeah Lawson a 4th rounder and played SLB on early downs though. Lawson is short armed and the Bengals didn’t see him as an every down DE. Fowler would be an expensive situational pass rusher.

Guenther appears to like the pass rush by committee approach.

Like I say it will interesting to see what we do with the DE position both in Fa and in the draft.

I think last year was an eye opener for Guenther and Gruden. In Cincinnati Guenther had Dunlap and Atkins. Hopefully, Hurst/Hall can improve next season and provide us with an interior rush and we double down on edge defenders in FA and the draft. 

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Give a guy $12M a year to play a position he has never played in his career? To be an elite pass rusher when he has never had more than 4 sacks in a season? 

He’ll play LB most of the time and move to DE on passing downs, 

He’s worth 12 million a year just as a LB, which is also a position of need for the Raiders 

28 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

He’s worth 12 million a year just as a LB, which is also a position of need for the Raiders 

You want to move a guy to edge in passing situations that has never even been an average pass rusher in the NFL? I'd be okay with signing Barr because this year's LB crop is extremely weak but not to be a pass rusher, that's not his strength.

12 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Maybe I’m just unaware but 12 mil for an off the ball LB seems like an awful lot of money to me?

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Maybe I’m just unaware but 12 mil for an off the ball LB seems like an awful lot of money to me?

Kuechly  and Collins are the only 12+ offball LB's. Smith, Burfict, Wagner, Ogletree, David, Kendricks, McKinney make 10M or a bit more. So yeah 12M for an offball LB is pretty much money. If you count him as a true 3down player, since his pass rush ability and you factor in the pass rushing element, you might end up around 12M if there is a big market for him, but I doubt that and I wouldn't want us to go there at all for him.

I'm not really pleased with the idea to move a guy around like that. You do it from necessity or if you have an AllPro and he impacts the game the biggest way that way. Barr is not an AllPro guy IMO and we have the cap space to move in a more traditional way.

I would welcome a Jordan Hicks around 8M and a Markus Golden for 4-5M rather then Barr at 12-13M.

34 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Kuechly  and Collins are the only 12+ offball LB's. Smith, Burfict, Wagner, Ogletree, David, Kendricks, McKinney make 10M or a bit more. So yeah 12M for an offball LB is pretty much money. If you count him as a true 3down player, since his pass rush ability and you factor in the pass rushing element, you might end up around 12M if there is a big market for him, but I doubt that and I wouldn't want us to go there at all for him.

I'm not really pleased with the idea to move a guy around like that. You do it from necessity or if you have an AllPro and he impacts the game the biggest way that way. Barr is not an AllPro guy IMO and we have the cap space to move in a more traditional way.

I would welcome a Jordan Hicks around 8M and a Markus Golden for 4-5M rather then Barr at 12-13M.

I wasn’t sure, just sounded a lot to me 😃

Marcus Golden is an interesting one, had a couple good seasons as a 3-4 edge rusher and caught my eye with Arizona, do you see him as a traditional DE or a OLB in our system or similar to Bitty’s idea for Barr playing LB then rushing the passer in our Nickel set?

I wouldn’t give him that much and he’s so big I assume that his body will begin to break down farly soon within the next couple years.

one CB that I would like aside from Darqueze Dennard would be Bradley Roby. He’s has had an up and down career so far. Was excellent under Wade Phillips and maybe he ends up in LA, but I would love to give him a one year prove it deal and see if he can get back to how he played early on I’m his career. 

6 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I wouldn’t give him that much and he’s so big I assume that his body will begin to break down farly soon within the next couple years.

one CB that I would like aside from Darqueze Dennard would be Bradley Roby. He’s has had an up and down career so far. Was excellent under Wade Phillips and maybe he ends up in LA, but I would love to give him a one year prove it deal and see if he can get back to how he played early on I’m his career. 

Would love Roby as well but as our nickel corner. 

Am I the only one who thinka Conley/Worley can be a dominant duo? 

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Would love Roby as well but as our nickel corner. 

Am I the only one who thinka Conley/Worley can be a dominant duo? 

I think once we get a decent pass rush they could make one of the better tandems in the league.  I would be tempted to sign Worley to a longer contract this off-season instead of tagging him.  Could get him for cheap but if we tag him, get a pass rush, and he stays healthy he will be to expensive for us next off-seasoon.  If I trusted hi off the field I would give him a 4 yr $22-24 million contract with an out for us after 2 years.  I think he would bite and he is only 23 about to turn 24 years old.  Only 4 months older than Conley.  Would have a starting CBs locked up for the next 3 years and pay an average of $11 million per year for both.

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think once we get a decent pass rush they could make one of the better tandems in the league.  I would be tempted to sign Worley to a longer contract this off-season instead of tagging him.  Could get him for cheap but if we tag him, get a pass rush, and he stays healthy he will be to expensive for us next off-seasoon.  If I trusted hi off the field I would give him a 4 yr $22-24 million contract with an out for us after 2 years.  I think he would bite and he is only 23 about to turn 24 years old.  Only 4 months older than Conley.  Would have a starting CBs locked up for the next 3 years and pay an average of $11 million per year for both.

If we bring back Worley and add someone like HaHa our secondary wouldn't look half bad. 

Worley - Joseph - Clinton-Dix - Conley 

Add a good young nickel corner, maybe Roby like you guys have suggested. 

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If we bring back Worley and add someone like HaHa our secondary wouldn't look half bad. 

Worley - Joseph - Clinton-Dix - Conley 

Add a good young nickel corner, maybe Roby like you guys have suggested. 

Do you think Worley being around had a little something to do with Joseph starting to turn it around.  I remember that draft I wanted Joseph, Dillion, and Worley. 

Archived