QB of the Future

Lil' Shorty

First off let’s not make this a thread that argues about Jameis for page after page. I think most of us, love or hate the guy, feel that at this point there is a very real possibility he is on his last or second to last season with the Bucs (pending significant improvement), especially if we get a whole new Front Office and coaching staff. 

With that said, the 2019 QB class looks iffy at best, but then again Winston and Mariota were supposed to be great and look at them now. Who are the prospects? What do you like and not like? Where do you think they will be drafted? Do you see them in a Bucs uniform in 2019?

The contenders:

Justin Herbert, Oregon

Drew Lock, Missouri

Ryan Finley, NC State

Will Grier, West Virginia

Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

Jake Browning, Washington St.

or... add in a veteran option or a free agent signing like an Alex Smith type or Kirk Cousins to take over for a few years.

GM and HC aside, what should we do?

ive said this in the game threads, id like to see us keep Fitz the starter going into next year and draft a guy to sit like the Chiefs did

thats really the best way to go about it

its the right way

i cant give my opinion on possible draftees because i havent seen any tape on any of them

but who really needs QBs going into 2019?

Giants

Broncos

Jax

then maybe 

Lions

Redskins

Steelers

as dark horses

sooo with that said i think we will be in a good position to grab a quality draft prospect if we are in the top 10

As @REDandPEWTER stated in the game day thread, this year's class is closer to the 2013 draft as opposed to the 2017 draft (where you had Mahomes and Watson in the first round). This is the equivalent of NFL Purgatory because there isn't a franchise QB in this draft (outside of potentially Hurbert who is stating he may stay another year to play with his brother). Hoping that we move on from Winston and try to find our QB in 2020.

I don’t think (somewhat uneducated comment) this years class will be as bad as 2013. I mean EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon. Nah I don’t think it’s that bad. But I agree that there is no clear cut answer in the draft. But guys like Wilson, Carr, and Prescott were drafted in the 2nd or later and turned out ok. 

Will Grier is where I’m leaning for a rookie right now. He seems to be matured and a professional. 23 year old, married and child. He’s got his things to work on but I think if we’re drafting 10-19 I’d take a chance on him.

Just now, ravishingone said:

Maybe the best play is to convince Teddy to come back to FL.  I really doubt Brees retires next season no matter what happens.  Again, I don t expect the regime to survive, so the dependence on vertical concepts wont be as stressed.

Teddy would be beautiful but I doubt he leaves NO.

30 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I don’t think (somewhat uneducated comment) this years class will be as bad as 2013. I mean EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon. Nah I don’t think it’s that bad. But I agree that there is no clear cut answer in the draft. But guys like Wilson, Carr, and Prescott were drafted in the 2nd or later and turned out ok. 

Will Grier is where I’m leaning for a rookie right now. He seems to be matured and a professional. 23 year old, married and child. He’s got his things to work on but I think if we’re drafting 10-19 I’d take a chance on him.

Will Grier is a one read qb. He struggles when his first guy is covered and stares down his primary option way too much. 

3 minutes ago, indifference said:

Teddy would be beautiful but I doubt he leaves NO.

As a stop gap at the very least you’d have to think he could do something with these weapons. But I doubt the Saints gave up a 3rd just to let him walk. But maybe we hire his TE coach for our HC and we then have a connection. ?

3 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Maybe the best play is to convince Teddy to come back to FL.  I really doubt Brees retires next season no matter what happens.  Again, I don t expect the regime to survive, so the dependence on vertical concepts wont be as stressed.

I said once preseason we should have traded for teddy and got him ready to start week 6 if fitz struggled 1-4. A third is nothing when you evaluate the depth of next years draft and the jets would have preferred our 3rd Bc it was going to be higher.  

Teddy healthy would have been great especially on a 1 year prove it deal at a 3rd round pick. 

46 minutes ago, SappDaddyDance said:

As @REDandPEWTER stated in the game day thread, this year's class is closer to the 2013 draft as opposed to the 2017 draft (where you had Mahomes and Watson in the first round). This is the equivalent of NFL Purgatory because there isn't a franchise QB in this draft (outside of potentially Hurbert who is stating he may stay another year to play with his brother). Hoping that we move on from Winston and try to find our QB in 2020.

There’s nick foles who will be available. 

Another guy people are forgetting is joe Flacco. Ravens took Lamar Jackson’s this past year. Be might be available for a second round pick. 

When you evaluate this draft : 

herbert is the best but is he really consistent enough? There is upside but the big questions on these guys are consistency. 

Locke has a rocket but he struggles with consistency. 

I was intrigued with northwesterns Thorson but watching him the last two weeks he holds the ball too long. 

Trace mcsorely is probably one of my favorite prospects Bc of his toughness and athleticism but even he makes throws that makes you go wtf. He doesn’t let plays go either and I question his arm strength. 

Honestly im trying to find a prospect I like and it’s very difficult. 

With the uncertainty of this year s class, I expect plenty of QB movement that are already on rosters.  

Besides Teddy, it sure looks like Carr is done in Oakland.  Why would Chucky keep any of Reggie s picks? Brissett  will be on the final year of his rookie deal in Indy.  Flacco could be out in Baltimore.   I m just looking at options, not advocating anyone at this point.

26 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

With the uncertainty of this year s class, I expect plenty of QB movement that are already on rosters.  

Besides Teddy, it sure looks like Carr is done in Oakland.  Why would Chucky keep any of Reggie s picks? Brissett  will be on the final year of his rookie deal in Indy.  Flacco could be out in Baltimore.   I m just looking at options, not advocating anyone at this point.

I don't know about anyone else, but I just don't see the big fuss about Brissett that everyone makes of him. Kid has a rocket arm but I haven't thought that highly of him when he finished out the year at NC State

Archived