NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

I saw Naz Reid twice his senior year, and he looked like TRASH. I honestly questioned the entire system of recruiting rankings, I was just floored how this kid could be a 5 star. He looked like a mediocre athlete who didn't understand basketball and angles, nothing to him but his size.... but here is looking insane early for LSU. Truly looks like a giant guard out there, pulling up on a dime, draining 3s, nimble ball handling. Very impressed, and shocked. Early, but I think he is the best player in the SEC.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I saw Naz Reid twice his senior year, and he looked like TRASH. I honestly questioned the entire system of recruiting rankings, I was just floored how this kid could be a 5 star. He looked like a mediocre athlete who didn't understand basketball and angles, nothing to him but his size.... but here is looking insane early for LSU. Truly looks like a giant guard out there, pulling up on a dime, draining 3s, nimble ball handling. Very impressed, and shocked. Early, but I think he is the best player in the SEC.

He's exactly what you want in a modern NBA big man

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

I already can't wait to see how it pans out in the NBA. I think it's important that he finds the right fit that'll help him excel in his unique skills. Zion definitely has to be the most exciting player in college basketball regardless

I think he's going to be great in the NBA.  Saying he's an athletic freak is actually underrating how amazing of an athlete is really is.  He has high basketball IQ.  Can handle the ball, is a good and willing passer and he constantly runs the floor playing with high effort/motor.  The one question about him is his outside shooting ability, but this kid strikes me as a hard worker, so I think he'll improve on that as the years go by.

I saw people in here comparing him to Julius Randle.... Julius Randle can't even dream of holding this kid's jock strap.

5 hours ago, showtime said:

I think he's going to be great in the NBA.  Saying he's an athletic freak is actually underrating how amazing of an athlete is really is.  He has high basketball IQ.  Can handle the ball, is a good and willing passer and he constantly runs the floor playing with high effort/motor.  The one question about him is his outside shooting ability, but this kid strikes me as a hard worker, so I think he'll improve on that as the years go by.

I saw people in here comparing him to Julius Randle.... Julius Randle can't even dream of holding this kid's jock strap.

I just want him to go to a team with a good PG.

Him in Dallas with Luka or in ATL with Trae Young would be so much fun.

16 hours ago, showtime said:

The 1st paragraph literally describes a more athletic Randle though, minus the passing. That doesn't mean they'll be of comparable caliber at the next level, I mean you take a quality NBA player (20+ PER on ~25 MPG so far this year) who mostly gets by on his physical gifts, and you give him superior physical gifts!? You've got a beast on your hand. Don't think it's a disrespectful comp in the least. People seem to see Randle and just freak out. Similar builds, and similar offensive games. Seeing as Zion is very unique, you won't find any spot on comparisons Imagine if a guy came along whose comp was a faster and conditioned Boban... Boban may not even be a starter in the NBA, but this hypothetical guy would be an insane prospect.

The one thing that makes me second guess the Randle comparison is that Zion looks a lot more comfortable with his jumper early, Randle at best was comfortable spotting up from mid range at UK, and even then it was finicky. The other comp in here though, Draymond, I just don't see whatsoever. Draymond is a scrub offensively, I'd love to see his numbers without the GOAT supporting cast, and an average NBA athlete. Could Zion possess the same fire, the tenacity, and BBall IQ on the defensive end as Draymond? Maybe, but evidently that is not something scouts can project, hence how someone like Draymond or Rodman falls to the 2nd.

7 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Right now, who is the best prospect outside of Duke? Reid, Bol, Morant, or someone else?

Not counting Frenchie who I haven't looked at, I am inclined to say it's Langford. Reid's gotta be close. I honestly think Bol is locked at like that #7/#8 pick, like after the wave of potential stars goes, but before the guys you project to be great role players, you have Bol. A bit of a mystery and gamble. Elite length and size, great skill, but where does he fit in modern NBA? There's pretty much only 1 way for stiff bigs to be able to stay on the court and be helpful nowadays, and it requires having a high BBall IQ, which IMO is a guessing game when you're trying to predict how they'll be at the next level.

For those who like b o l. Can someone explain to me why bol bol would be considered a top 10 Prospect after having witnessed Thon maker struggle in the NBA. I mean is there really much difference in their physical tools and their skill sets? If I recall correctly lot of people. Don maker was the next big thing. His lack of physical strength and lower body stops him from being able to excel anywhere near the rim on a regular basis. That combined with his lack of perimeter defense perhaps. I just see bol bol as the same kind of player