NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Trae Young = Top 5 pick
Markus Howard = Not even projected in the 1st round

Makes ZERO sense to me considering Howard is a superior player. Yes, I am aware that Howard is listed at 5'11" and he's more of a shoot first PG type than a creator. Still, I'll take the guy that can create his own shot and shoot it at high volume and high efficiency over the chucker who has flashy handles. They both can't guard a soul so the size difference doesn't really matter. Howard can get his shot off on anyone and is going to be a massive steal when ever he goes pro. He's a Junior but he's not even 20 years old yet.

Of course...

I say this and Howard goes full Trae Young vs Kansas.

14 hours ago, showtime said:

RJ Barrett is gross.

He's the definition of a ball-hog and a chucker. On the season RJ Barrett is 51 of 125 (.408) while Zion Williamson is 49 of 75 (.653). If Duke fails to win a title it will almost certainly be because Barrett plays hero ball in the tournament and refuses to get his teammates involved. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's the definition of a ball-hog and a chucker. On the season RJ Barrett is 51 of 125 (.408) while Zion Williamson is 49 of 75 (.653). If Duke fails to win a title it will almost certainly be because Barrett plays hero ball in the tournament and refuses to get his teammates involved. 

Yea, the guy went ball-hog Kobe in 2005/06.  Obviously the difference is, Barrett has really good teammates and he's clearly no Kobe.  Seems like Coach K let the guy self destruct in a huge game to let him learn a lesson, which I think was pretty good of him to do.  Losing this game is really good for Duke.  Hopefully Barrett passes the ball more.  They have the talent to where he should mostly be taking high percentage shots.  There's no reason for him to be going 1v3 taking difficult shots.

Barrett's on the verge of going full Andrew Wiggins. He's a really good player but he's also probably someone you really don't want on your team. He'll get his but it's not always conducive to winning basketball. 

I still firmly believe Cam Reddish has the highest upside on that squad. He fits the modern NBA like a glove.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 12:03 PM, beekay414 said:

Barrett's on the verge of going full Andrew Wiggins. He's a really good player but he's also probably someone you really don't want on your team. He'll get his but it's not always conducive to winning basketball. 

I still firmly believe Cam Reddish has the highest upside on that squad. He fits the modern NBA like a glove.

I've been screaming my love for Cam as a prospect but I am starting to worry about his personality holding him back at the next level.  I'm always of the opinion these kids can mature/drastically improve in attitude and work ethic but its obviously no guarantee.  And hes got too much of a too cool to try my hardest vibe right now.  It's pretty clear RJ and Zion have dominating personalities and I think hes having trouble finding his fit and it almost seems like his defense mechanism is to act nonchalant and not really care that Zion and RJ dominate everything.  I hope Coach K can bring some more fire out of him and he gets to make things happen more in the half court.  He's got everything you look for in a budding perimeter star in terms of skill set/athletic profile.

just saw U School with Scotty Barnes and Vernon Carey win in OT. Scott still can't shoot in games. He had Seven Threes against very weak competition but none against a good school. While Vernon Carey just dunked and looked totally not interested in playing at all. Quite sad considering both players on top of that class for basketball

Edited by resilient part 2

9 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Barrett has missed 74 shots this year
Zion has taken 75 shots this year.

RJ averages 22.7 PPG.
Zion averages 20.7 PPG.

RJ Barrett's usage has been insanely high this season. 

Barrett: 33.5% (24th) of possessions, 37.6% (12th) of shots, 22.0% assist rate (342nd)

Trae Young: 38.5% (1st) of possessions, 34.2% (10th) of shots, 48.5 assist rate (1st)

So he has a similar usage as Trae Young did at Oklahoma last season. The major difference is that Young was also great at creating offense for his teammates which accounts for a large amount of his usage. Barrett, on the other hand, is almost exclusively a scorer and the majority of his usage comes from plays that he creates for himself. Last season Young averaged 19.3 shots per game and 21.8 shots per 40 minutes. Barrett is averaging 20.8 shots per game and 25.8 shots per 40 minutes. 

Barrett: 22.8 points per game on 20.8 attempts on .408 FG | .316 3FG | .622 FT

Young: 27.4 points per game on 19.3 attempts on .422 FG | .360 3FG | .861 FT

Edited by NYRaider

On 11/24/2018 at 9:49 AM, grubs10 said:

I've been screaming my love for Cam as a prospect but I am starting to worry about his personality holding him back at the next level.  I'm always of the opinion these kids can mature/drastically improve in attitude and work ethic but its obviously no guarantee.  And hes got too much of a too cool to try my hardest vibe right now.  It's pretty clear RJ and Zion have dominating personalities and I think hes having trouble finding his fit and it almost seems like his defense mechanism is to act nonchalant and not really care that Zion and RJ dominate everything.  I hope Coach K can bring some more fire out of him and he gets to make things happen more in the half court.  He's got everything you look for in a budding perimeter star in terms of skill set/athletic profile.

He's dealing with a groin injury and a cracked rib which has limited his playing time and practice time. When he's healthy he should be Duke's best player.