Week 9: Lions (3-4) at VIKINGS (4-3-1)

swede700

The Vikings should be able to exploit one of the worst defenses in the NFL this year in the Lions. How many total yards will they have against the Lions?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. The Vikings should be able to exploit one of the worst defenses in the NFL this year in the Lions. How many total yards will they have against the Lions?

• 0 - 245 yds (avg total yards vs. Lions in Zimmer's first year)
    • 246 - 335 yds (avg vs. Lions in Zimmer era)
    • 336 - 362 yds (avg vs Lions in 2017)
    • 363 - 404 yds (avg. vs Lions in 2015)
    • 404+ yds

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They probably already knew he wouldn't be there in 2019, so I don't imagine it does much.  

I’m not sure players think along those lines. 

Given his vocal nature, his toughness, and his overall play, Tate is likely one of the leaders in the locker room. He’s certainly known for being a polarizing player in the locker room. 

1 hour ago, Bermuda Viking said:

The glaring difference is in the O-line.  Other than the intentional grounding play the Vikings couldnt get near Brees. Meanwhile Cousins is sacked 4 times and hit 9 times.  The N.O. O-line is damn good.

Yes they are.  They have the best two tackles I have seen this season...by far.  I'm still a believer that a team will only go as far as their offensive line will take them.

24 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not sure players think along those lines. 

Given his vocal nature, his toughness, and his overall play, Tate is likely one of the leaders in the locker room. He’s certainly known for being a polarizing player in the locker room. 

He may be, but they know the business...and there are enough other vocal players there that should be able to pick up the slack.  While certainly not polarizing, I've never heard about how vital he is to the locker room either.  

I think we'll win if Rhodes plays. Shouldn't have any problems putting points on the board. Waynes and Rhodes will be able to slow Jones & Golladay enough. Our run D has been lights out all year so I think we'll force them to throw.

36 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He may be, but they know the business...and there are enough other vocal players there that should be able to pick up the slack.  While certainly not polarizing, I've never heard about how vital he is to the locker room either.  

Vital? Maybe not. But, from a lot that I’ve read over the years, Tate has basically been the spark plug of the team. And, if you’ll remember, Tate was enough of a presence in the Seattle locker room, that when he and Wilson started feuding, Pete Carrol shipped Tate to Detroit to avoid any potential schism on the team.

But, more on the negative side of the pendulum, we saw the impression that a polarizing locker room guy like Moss left on Harvin in such a short amount of time. 

I don’t think it can take much for one player to leave a lasting impact on others, positive or negative. Especially on a young team that’s trying to establish an identity. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Vital? No. 

But, on the negative side of the pendulum, we saw the impression that a polarizing locker room guy like Moss left on Harvin in such a short amount of time. 

I don’t think it can take much for one player to leave a lasting impact on others, positive or negative. Especially on a young team that’s trying to establish an identity. 

True, but I think the whole Moss-Harvin thing was blown way out of proportion...and was more a consequence of how polarizing Chilly was himself in his relationship with Harvin.  

14 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

I think we'll win if Rhodes plays. Shouldn't have any problems putting points on the board. Waynes and Rhodes will be able to slow Jones & Golladay enough. Our run D has been lights out all year so I think we'll force them to throw.

Jones had a good game against us in the 2nd match up last year. Golladay is not an easy cover either and those targets for Tate have to be spread out somehow. 

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

Jones had a good game against us in the 2nd match up last year. Golladay is not an easy cover either and those targets for Tate have to be spread out somehow. 

Never said we'd shut them out. But if we shut down the run game then we know where the ball is going... should be enough to keep their offense in check. We were able to do that against the Saints and only gave up 23 points. We should have no problem putting up 24 or more. DVOA has the Lions ranked as a bottom 5 defense.

8 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

Never said we'd shut them out. But if we shut down the run game then we know where the ball is going... should be enough to keep their offense in check. We were able to do that against the Saints and only gave up 23 points. We should have no problem putting up 24 or more. DVOA has the Lions ranked as a bottom 5 defense.

True. Kerryon seems to be finding his groove as well. It would be nice to get AND stay healthy while putting together a dominant performance heading into the bye week as we begin a crucial divisional stretch.

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

run the ball more? So, put the O in 2nd and 3rd and long more? How about more slants, or screens, or flairs to the RBs or whatever.....but I don't think running the ball more is the answer. 

Murray has a healthy average the last few games. I don't think we will win many if the hope is to air it out. We don't have the OL for this approach. Need to figure out how to win at home again.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Yes they are.  They have the best two tackles I have seen this season...by far.  I'm still a believer that a team will only go as far as their offensive line will take them.

Man you must hate this Vikings team, then.

For the record, I agree and I wish we had devoted a few more resources at O-Line, even at the cost of an offensive/defensive skill position. Although Brian O'Neill has shown a ton of promise, but he's just one guy and a rookie.

Archived