Week 9: Lions (3-4) at VIKINGS (4-3-1)

swede700

The Vikings should be able to exploit one of the worst defenses in the NFL this year in the Lions. How many total yards will they have against the Lions?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. The Vikings should be able to exploit one of the worst defenses in the NFL this year in the Lions. How many total yards will they have against the Lions?

• 0 - 245 yds (avg total yards vs. Lions in Zimmer's first year)
    • 246 - 335 yds (avg vs. Lions in Zimmer era)
    • 336 - 362 yds (avg vs Lions in 2017)
    • 363 - 404 yds (avg. vs Lions in 2015)
    • 404+ yds

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Murray has a healthy average the last few games. I don't think we will win many if the hope is to air it out. We don't have the OL for this approach. Need to figure out how to win at home again.

They don't have the OL to run either, IMO. Get ahead by passing, then run to win the game....outside a few teams, that's how it works in the NFL. Also, I was pretty clear that there are short, quick, routes to use that are effectively running plays, and that I'm not suggesting "airing it out". But maybe I wasn't.

two Lions fans' reaction to the Tate Trade...

** "I don’t like the deal.  If he left in free agency because he was too expensive, we would likely get a late third comp pick.  Now we are down Tate for the rest of this year and still end up with likely a late 3rd pick.  Tate isn’t overly expensive, likely won’t be overly expensive, is Stafford's favorite target, our best WR, and pretty much means we are throwing in the towel.  I think his value to this team is well more than a third round pick even if his trade value is about right given the market. 

** "Wow, this FO has been more proactive during the season than they were in the offseason... I love both trades so far. Fair value for Tate, and it'll sting if we remain in the hunt but it won't hurt as bad like if we kept him and missed the playoffs and signed him to a 4 year deal worth 40 million.

Really good move, Solid to come away with a 3rd round pick for a 8 game rental. I think Lions can absorb his loss through other players just simply getting more touches like Gollday/Johnson. The Slot role might not now be as important as it has been with Tate/Stafford together so long, but that could mean a expanded role too for these TE's.  I just can't buy that TJ Jones/Powell are going to allow that positon to become a black-hole offensively. 

Tate, for this team, I don't think he'd put us over the hump with or without him. I really just don't think the Lions offense will skip much of a beat with his loss honestly. In-fact if I'm the Eagles fans I'm a little pissed I traded my 3rd for a 8 game rental who's more of a safety net then real game changer. "

09-FOX-E.png

Blue:  Lions - Vikings

Red: Falcons - Washington

Green: Bears - Bills

Yellow: Bucs - Panthers

Why, oh why, would I ever want to watch Atlanta and Washington play? (I imagine it's because of Alex Smith, but it's not going to be a very good game to watch)  

19 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

They don't have the OL to run either, IMO. Get ahead by passing, then run to win the game....outside a few teams, that's how it works in the NFL. Also, I was pretty clear that there are short, quick, routes to use that are effectively running plays, and that I'm not suggesting "airing it out". But maybe I wasn't.

It's been better though the last few weeks. But we're again playing from behind due to dumb turnovers or the defense giving up way too much forcing a one dimensional offense.

25 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Why, oh why, would I ever want to watch Atlanta and Washington play? (I imagine it's because of Alex Smith, but it's not going to be a very good game to watch)  

Seems like it's perceived by Fox as the top game of the early window. Guessing that's why you get it.

Let's not sleep on the Lions offense without Golden Tate.

Part of the reason I feel Tate was dealt was the insertion of rookie RB Kerryon Johnson into a bigger role. He's pretty much on pace for 1,000 yards as a rookie, despite Detroit not giving him half of the snaps until the past two games. An increased presence in the ground game means less of a need for an underneath safety valve.

But we also need not forget about the two Lions WRs on the outside. Jones and Golladay are very good. Jones lit up Rhodes in one of the matchups last year.

This will be a good test for our defense. Again, I'm glad we have an improved offense to help combat the opponent. Last week was only the second time the Vikings failed to score 20 points this season. The offense needs to be on its A-game.

10 hours ago, Klomp said:

Let's not sleep on the Lions offense without Golden Tate.

Part of the reason I feel Tate was dealt was the insertion of rookie RB Kerryon Johnson into a bigger role. He's pretty much on pace for 1,000 yards as a rookie, despite Detroit not giving him half of the snaps until the past two games. An increased presence in the ground game means less of a need for an underneath safety valve.

But we also need not forget about the two Lions WRs on the outside. Jones and Golladay are very good. Jones lit up Rhodes in one of the matchups last year.

This will be a good test for our defense. Again, I'm glad we have an improved offense to help combat the opponent. Last week was only the second time the Vikings failed to score 20 points this season. The offense needs to be on its A-game.

We lost 20-30, but otherwise you're totally right. 

The Lions head into Sunday’s game as the only division opponent not to lose at U.S. Bank Stadium. They’re 2-0, including last year’s 14-7 victory that saw them win the turnover battle at plus-3 (3-0). One of those turnovers came via fumble as Dalvin Cook suffered his season-ending ACL tear.

Against the Lions, Zimmer is 1-3 at home and 3-5 overall. Against the Packers, he’s 2-2 at home and 4-4-1 overall. Against Chicago, he’s 4-0 at home and 6-2 overall.

In eight meetings with the Lions, Zimmer’s Vikings are minus-5 in the turnover battle. When they’ve lost that turnover battle, they’re 1-4 overall and 0-2 at home. So, long story short, if Kirk & Co. want a (recently) rare home win over the Lions, they must hang on to the ball this Sunday.

http://www.startribune.com/turnovers-tell-the-story-of-mike-zimmers-3-5-record-against-detroit/499130221/

7 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Cook, Reiff, Joseph, Rhodes, and Sendejo had "Limited" participation in Wednesday and Thursday's practices. I'd almost prefer these guys didn't play so they can get an extra week of rest with the bye coming up.

Part of me likes that theory but the other part of me thinks that if we lose this game, we're in trouble especially with the Bears getting Darnold last week and getting Peterman this week and us getting Rodgers, Bears, Brady after the bye.

17 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Cook, Reiff, Joseph, Rhodes, and Sendejo had "Limited" participation in Wednesday and Thursday's practices. I'd almost prefer these guys didn't play so they can get an extra week of rest with the bye coming up.

I'd rather not lose another game. With how we're playing this year at home and the history of Detroit in US Bank stadium, we need all the help we can get.

We can go without Cook and Sendejo, we need Reiff, joseph and Rhodes.

Archived