The Defense

BleedTheClock

Our defense might be worse than our offense. With much more talent.

1. Our run fits are absolutely atrocious. It looks like we have no idea how to fill a gap on any outside runs.

2. We lack any sort of true technique. Linebackers hopping the fence on down blocks, DE's and OLB's squeezing down inside gaps, etc...

3. We continually get beat on the same exact things every single week. Runningbacks in the flat with a 10-12 route in behind it, HB screens, quick hitches.

4. We blitz too much. We have been generating pressure without having to send the house. I don't know why we do this so often against teams that get the ball out quick.

5. And the worst thing is that we don't make any adjustments ever. If something gashes us in the 1st Q, it's going to gash us all game long.

We get bailed out a lot of times with turnovers and having a legit punter, but this defense is way too talented to be getting gashed like this. As much as I love Gregg Williams the person, I hate his schemes and find him to be a pretty bleh DC. If you take away the turnovers, we are one of the worst 2-3 defenses in the NFL easily. And you can't bank on teams turning the football over--some of that stuff is flukey.

This team's struggles is not all on Gregg, but he's just as much a part of the problem as the other coaches. I am almost more upset about the schemes we run on defense than the schemes on offense. At least our offense lacks talent, whereas the defense is loaded with good players. There is no excuse to be getting gashed the same ways every single week for 2 seasons now.

Thoughts?

I think he, along with the rest of the coaching staff, will be axed by season's end.

That being said, I hope Myles, Larry and Emmanuel can make it that far. The fact that they're playing so many more snaps than any other D-lineman in football is straight up unacceptable. Dorsey has to realize it. Williams is running those guys into the ground.

I expect the defense to be addressed heavily in the offseason, especially with it being the strength in the upcoming draft.

Archived