• Baltimore
    • Cleveland
    • Chicago
    • Seattle
    • Buffalo
    • Houston
    • Jacksonville

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

The Browns are on there but the Cowboys who 2nd ranked in scoring defense just behind the Ravens. 3rd in total defense is not even an option while fielding one of the worst 3out offenses in the nfl is not even an option?

There is no but, 20 sacks, 12 interceptions (best in NFL) 12 forced fumbles (best in NFL), 10 fumble recoveries (best in NFL), 62 passes defended, 1 safety. There isn't a defense close to these numbers combined, taking the ball away and not giving them opportunities trumps all of that.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

There is no but, 20 sacks, 12 interceptions (best in NFL) 12 forced fumbles (best in NFL), 10 fumble recoveries (best in NFL), 62 passes defended, 1 safety. There isn't a defense close to these numbers combined, taking the ball away and not giving them opportunities trumps all of that.

If the Bears can keep Mack and Trubisky clicking it is 1984.

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

The Browns are on there but the Cowboys who 2nd ranked in scoring defense just behind the Ravens. 3rd in total defense is not even an option while fielding one of the worst 3out offenses in the nfl is not even an option?

As he alluded to in the OP, he was just using the clear top 7 in DVOA for the poll. Waste of time to bring up a basic number like scoring defense when you're opponent is quite frankly the best single number there is, DVOA.

That being said, numbers combined with eye test, I'd have the Cowboys up there among top Ds myself. 

Probably would go

1. Browns
  2. Bears
  3. Ravens
  4. Cowboys

Nobody else deserves to be ranked at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Christ, what a shower compared to most other years. Imagine asking this in 2005 or something. 

I picked the Bears, but I really don't know. Thought they were quite easy to play against, tbh. 

We didn’t see them with a healthy Mack. 

27 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

We didn’t see them with a healthy Mack. 

Yeah, he was clearly hampered against miami and NE, and didn't even dress yesterday for the first time in his career. Hopefully he's fully recovered for next week, the pass rush definitely needs his help, though internally Akiem Hicks is still manhandling folks.

I don't get how Houston is in this conversation. They beat up on Blake Bortles, Nathan Peterman and Brock Osweiler. They made Eli look like Payton. Blaine Gabbert and a Titans OL down both starting T, a backup T and without Delanie Walker beat them. Andrew Luck threw for close to 500 yards and 4TDs on them. The only decent QB they performed well against was Dak Prescott, and "decent" is a stretch to describe Dak (depending on who you ask).

This Houston defense is a nightmare, should not be in the discussion.

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't get how Houston is in this conversation. They beat up on Blake Bortles, Nathan Peterman and Brock Osweiler. They made Eli look like Payton. Blaine Gabbert and a Titans OL down both starting T, a backup T and without Delanie Walker beat them. Andrew Luck threw for close to 500 yards and 4TDs on them. The only decent QB they performed well against was Dak Prescott, and "decent" is a stretch to describe Dak (depending on who you ask).

This Houston defense is a nightmare, should not be in the discussion.

I just listed the top 10 DVOA defenses prior to week 8. HOU is like #9 or something.

DVOA has the Titans in the 20s in most stats yet it's the best redzone defense in football, 3rd best scoring defense in football and manages that despite being on the field the 7th most among defenses.

Not that the Titans belong in the conversation for the best because they don't, but they're one of the top 6 or 7, so looking at DVOA ranking them so poorly makes me kinda question wtf DVOA is doing.

37 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I just listed the top 10 DVOA defenses prior to week 8. HOU is like #9 or something.

19 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

makes me kinda question wtf DVOA is doing.

I think the bold is where I'm leaning. I mean, can anyone tell me how they calculate DVOA? I don't doubt it's more scientific than something like QBR, but as of now - it's not much different, IMO. 

Someone has to "show their work" before I take DVOA seriously anymore.

Archived