Raiders CB Sean Smith charged with assault

RaidersAreOne

Raiders cornerback Sean Smith has been charged with assault, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced on Thursday.

The charge is for assault of his sister's boyfriend in Smith's hometown of Pasadena. Smith allegedly beat and stomped the boyfriend's head on the morning of July 4, 2017 in Old Town Pasadena, the district attorney said.

Smith faces formal felony counts of assault by means of force likely to produce great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily injury to the victim.

See ya Sean! There goes the Raiders streak of not having a player arrested (longest in the league).

6 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

He will be suspended and it sucks for the Raiders cause he is pretty good. That being said family is family.

I'm fairly certain after being benched at different points throughout last season for being burnt multiple times a game, he was again demoted to playing with the second stringers already in camp. Unfortunate this had play out as it did and Sean made the decisions he made but this might actually be beneficial for the Raiders financially after the large contract he signed last year.

Which actually reminds me of a question I had, how in the hell did he rank 12th by PFF ahead of guys like Rhodes, Sherman and Peters? How does PFF go about these rankings?

15 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

He will be suspended and it sucks for the Raiders cause he is pretty good. That being said family is family.

Nah he has not been good. He's slow can't keep up. He's going to get cut performance is trash and add this on top.

10 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I'm fairly certain after being benched at different points throughout last season for being burnt multiple times a game, he was again demoted to playing with the second stringers already in camp. Unfortunate this had play out as it did and Sean made the decisions he made but this might actually be beneficial for the Raiders financially after the large contract he signed last year.

Which actually reminds me of a question I had, how in the hell did he rank 12th by PFF ahead of guys like Rhodes, Sherman and Peters? How does PFF go about these rankings?

He was pretty good last year outside of the Falcons and Saints games, which were also his first 2 regular season games with the team in a new system. The narrative that he was continuously burnt last year is awful.

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He was pretty good last year outside of the Falcons and Saints games, which were also his first 2 regular season games with the team in a new system. The narrative that he was continuously burnt last year is awful.

I don't watch too many Raider games so I could very well be mistaken. Looks as though he had picked up where he left off from those Falcon and Saints games during last weeks preseason game though. Still a lot of money for a CB who was trending towards the bench.

27 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Pretty good is pushing it substantially.

I mean, we all make stupid decisions I guess and I hope there's more context as to why he did the stupid thing that he did. 

It wouldn't suprise me if he got cut but his salary is guarenteed so the raiders will probably just wait it out until next year. 

3 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Maybe Smith just had a better/career year. It's not like Madden where a corner will always be better than another because of their overall rating.

1 hour ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

How did it take a month and a half to be charged? Odd. Also, what kind of cap hit would it be if he gets the boot?

At this point, his 2017 base salary is fully guaranteed so the Raiders wouldn't save a cent releasing him (9.5M cap hit). There could be a clause about off the field issues in the contract though.

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Pretty good is pushing it substantially.

Umm.... 

"[Smith] allowed a 56.8 percent catch rate, which is in the top quarter of the NFL for players with 825+ snaps. He allowed a catch on just 1 in every 11.6 coverage snaps, which is in the top third of the league."

All while playing with a team tied for 31st (iirc) in sacks... 

Dude got targeted all the time, which is bound to lead to big plays. He also sucked week 1 and 2, but Brandin Cooks and Julio Jones are pretty damn tough covers.

I'd say he was top 40 at his position last year~ Pretty good.

Archived