THE QUEST FOR THE DC/OC Beginneth!

MistaBohmbastic

5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

He would be good to make us mediocre. But I dont want a power run offense.

His first year as the titans HC, he had a top10/12 passing attack. 3rd year they were a basically a top10 rushing team with Chris Johnson. 

Why would the Browns be a power run offense? He has been with the steelers since '14 and they are not a power run offense. Past couple of year they have been one of the top teams to play from the shotgun. Hell, if he is the HC, maybe he can get the OL to finally come together. 

One thing with Munchak , good chance he maybe keeps Greg Williams as his DC since he had Williams on one of his staffs with the Titans

6 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

Apparently Haslams top three are Josh McDaniels, Mike Munchak, and Bruce Arians 

I would be pretty happy with McDaniels but I wouldnt be upset with Munchak or Arians. 

I would assume McDaniels brings Jerry Schuplinski with him. Another Cleveland Native. Played at JCU and coached for Case until he was hired by the pats. Been a part of the Pats offensive staff since '13 and assistant QB coach to McDaniels since '16. Maybe he gets Bielema who is currently a consultant for the Pats to come be his DC. I bet Joe Schobert would love that. Hell Joe Thomas prolly be even more involved with the Bronwns. My biggest concern with some coaches is moving back to a 3/4 scheme

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

His first year as the titans HC, he had a top10/12 passing attack. 3rd year they were a basically a top10 rushing team with Chris Johnson. 

Why would the Browns be a power run offense? He has been with the steelers since '14 and they are not a power run offense. Past couple of year they have been one of the top teams to play from the shotgun. Hell, if he is the HC, maybe he can get the OL to finally come together. 

One thing with Munchak , good chance he maybe keeps Greg Williams as his DC since he had Williams on one of his staffs with the Titans

I got him confussed with Mike mularky, we don't have names like that in Nz, they metge into one. 

I think this is all pretty simple. Baker was Dorsey's guy. The coach should be Baker's guy. It's going to be the most important relationship on the team. 

I think ultimately Haslam does exactly that. Asking Baker who he wants. If Dorsey put all his marbles on Baker he shouldnt have a problem.

50 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Hell, if he is the HC, maybe he can get the OL to finally come together. 

That would be nice considering that when Thomas was part of it many here and national guys touted it as a strength.

Which it has not been since the Hickerson/Schafrath were here.

3 minutes ago, matt27j said:

I think this is all pretty simple. Baker was Dorsey's guy. The coach should be Baker's guy. It's going to be the most important relationship on the team. 

I think ultimately Haslam does exactly that. Asking Baker who he wants. If Dorsey put all his marbles on Baker he shouldnt have a problem.

Wishing and hoping and praying and planning (Dusty Springfield song) that Haslam has that kind of sense doesn't mesh at all with what he has shown us so far.

Out of all the candidates mentioned previously - I know the only one I want absolutely no part of is Josh McDaniels.

The only coach who came here from the famed "Belichick Tree" that was worth anything more than a cup of magic beans was ST Coordinator Brad Seeley. And I would take him back in a heartbeat.

But the unforgivable act that Josh pulled that proved he was a self serving snake was last offseason. He had accepted the Colts head coaching job. He had hired assistants for his staff. Families were being moved to Indianapolis.

Then Josh does the unthinkable - he announces "Physche! I'm good! I'm gonna stay in New England as Billy Boy's lackey."

Total ****** move.

25 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Out of all the candidates mentioned previously - I know the only one I want absolutely no part of is Josh McDaniels.

The only coach who came here from the famed "Belichick Tree" that was worth anything more than a cup of magic beans was ST Coordinator Brad Seeley. And I would take him back in a heartbeat.

But the unforgivable act that Josh pulled that proved he was a self serving snake was last offseason. He had accepted the Colts head coaching job. He had hired assistants for his staff. Families were being moved to Indianapolis.

Then Josh does the unthinkable - he announces "Physche! I'm good! I'm gonna stay in New England as Billy Boy's lackey."

Total ****** move.

I keep seeing reports that it hasn’t really turned off a front office people from looking at him tho. Only thing it has done is it has made the NFL think about allowing coaching candidates who are in the playoffs to be able to sign a contracts but allow them to finish out their playoff run. 

3 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Total ****** move.

All that is true, and my first reaction to hiring McDaniels was the same as yours.  But I can't get over the eerie similarities between McDaniels and Belichick.  Not only did they both "fail" in their first stint as a HC, but they also both badly burned the next franchise that wanted to hire them as HC.

Belichick did the EXACT same thing as McDaniels.  He spurned the Jets after they hired him as HC (he stayed for exactly one day).  If New England had taken the hard stance that you just took in your post, they would've never hired Belichick as their HC.

I had a dream last night......what would make me absolutely happy if these moves were made.

First, I dont think there is a thing as too many good scouts in the Front Office.....Reggie Mckinze decides to leave Oakland after getting Neutered by Ownership and Gruden...he decides to come home to some familiar faces for a year or two....to get his feet back underneath.

I would to see them Hire Dave Toub as the HC....With no desire to start over, he retains Greg Williams promoting him to Asst. HC Def., who then retains most of his staff. Greg Williams Promotes Clyde Simmons to the D-Coordinators roll (I think were going to loose him soon if we don't)...And Simmons turns around and Hires Rex Ryan to come in as Asst. D-Coordinator/Dline coach. (Yeah, Greg Williams and Rex Ryan on the same staff......Kumite).

Toub retains Freddie Kitchens as his Running Game Coordinator/RB coach, he then Hires Joe Lombardi away from NO to become the OC here. Lombardi plucks some guys from the NO staff to help him out...He Brings in Curtis Johnson with him as Passing Game Coordinator/WR Coach and Brendan Nugent as his Oline Coach.

Toub Brings Mike Kafka with him from KC to coach his QB's (a gift from Andy Reid), he Hires Mike Tice to come in a coach TE's. And last but not least, he Hires Art Briles to be his Specials Teams Coordinator (working with the younger kids and UDFA, churning the back of the roster to find some hidden gems)

And we Roll on from there....Like I said....Its my dream...not what I think will happen....

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

All that is true, and my first reaction to hiring McDaniels was the same as yours.  But I can't get over the eerie similarities between McDaniels and Belichick.  Not only did they both "fail" in their first stint as a HC, but they also both badly burned the next franchise that wanted to hire them as HC.

Belichick did the EXACT same thing as McDaniels.  He spurned the Jets after they hired him as HC (he stayed for exactly one day).  If New England had taken the hard stance that you just took in your post, they would've never hired Belichick as their HC.

That’s a good point. About the comparison between the two with the Colts and Jets. I feel like Pats made him a great deal to come back. I really think the Pats didn’t want to waste any offensive time with Tom with a new OC. 

7 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

HC- Bruce Arians ( Calls the plays ) 

OC - Mike Munchak ( fixes the OL ) 

DC - Chuck Pagano 

ST - Homeless person Haslam asked about Manziel. 

When it comes to HCs... the staff is everything.

I've been thinking about "Top Candidates' and their staffs..

Both John Harbaugh and Mike McCarthy are going to bring with them retread coaching staffs the vast majority of whom are neither innovative nor top minds/coordinators in their positions.

Then I started thinking.... what would Dave Toub staff look like?

I have no clue. 

I'm going to catch up with my B.I.L. some time soon to find out who are Dave Toub, Josh McDaniels, and David Shaw's likely hires as top assistants.

Right now, maybe Toub would allow us to keep some continuity assuming we want to do so.

HC - Dave Toub

QB Coach - Ken Zampese/Mike Kafka

OC - Mike Kafka (was an offensive quality control coach for a year at KC and is the QB Coach this year. Former Northwestern QB who had a great mind for offensive football.)

DC - Gregg Williams

ST - Dave Toub + ST Coordinator Hire

Mike Munchak hired Gregg Williams as Senior Defensive Assistant in Tennessee.

So, assuming we want to retain Williams and Munchak is a fit with Dorsey we'd have to find an OC.

Dowell Loggains and Chris Palmer were Munchak's OCs.

Loggains is not returning to Cleveland nor would I want him to. Palmer was fired by Munchak.

Archived